Republic Veteran
# 31
04-28-2013, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro2244 View Post
Well I guess that throws j'mpok and the duras house off the honorable klingon list since they have had dealings with sela and the rse
Exactly, I don't trust him or his house.

Paid for by the down with Bajor Party
Survivor of Remus
# 32
04-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Like you, OP, I was hoping to play as part of the Romulan Star Empire. In fact, before the details were announced, I would bet a majority of people would assume playable Romulans meant the RSE. The RSE Romulans from the shows are what defined what it means to be a Romulan. Alas, that is not what they wanted to give us.

I would love to see a Romulan defection happen. It's probably the thing I want most in this game, now that we're stuck as Romulan Refugees.

Unfortunately, I don't think it'll ever happen. To be honest, I just don't think Cryptic has the drive to do it. (And yes, you may take that as a challenge, devs, I would love to be wrong) It's my opinion that they don't like to admit when they've made a mistake/terrible decision, and further that they tend to maneuver around their mistakes rather than fix them. (For example, when people were upset over not getting a Romulan starbase, they suggested in the future we'll get a Romulan "Fleet Holding" instead. No Romulan Starbase, but we'll add a Romulan Clubhouse for you.)

Doing this defection would require you giving up any unique faction stuff you got from Feds/KDF, including ships, consoles, gear, pets, titles, accolades, etc. That's a lot of work that isn't going to earn them $$, not to mention all the unique Romulan stuff they'd have to replace it with.

This is just the direction they decided to take the Romulans and, whether we like it or not, I think that's all we're going to get. Hold onto that hope though, OP, I sympathize with you.
Captain
# 33
04-29-2013, 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brigadooom View Post
It could be done as an 'episode pack' on the C Store, with a bunch of missions over the course of which you'd defect. Any prior Rep System skill gains could be kept (they're skills/abilities learned, rather than things rented, right?) and a Tal Shiar version of the Rep stores could keep your access to those goods (spies, Ferengi being paid off, shipments intercepted..). New set visuals though

Could be a mini-faction. If only
It's a nice thought, but they won't ever charge anything for story content with this game. Unlike most games that would have charged for an expansion, they kept with the free to play model and that's the way it's staying, especially when it comes to delivering a story.
Career Officer
# 34
04-29-2013, 03:16 AM
WHAT! THE ROMULANS ARE COMING IN MAY!!! AHHHH OMG!!!

Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Captain
# 35
04-29-2013, 03:48 AM
The Empire was known for its xenophobic character and policies of extreme secrecy and territorial protectionism.

This from Memory Alpha. A lot of players seem not to realise that playing as an Imperial Romulan brings a lot of limitations story progress wise. I think Cryptic did a very good move to let is play 'New Romulans' who are more open minded to the rest of the universe. It is also for a game designer more interesting since there are more story options.

I am a lucky Beta tester and I only can say, the new content is just marvelous and I am looking forward to roll my Romulan character when this patch goes life.
Captain
# 36
04-29-2013, 04:04 AM
So far, the only choices as a Romulan will be D'Tan, or Sela's Tal Shiar. Knowing the Tal Shiar are puppets of an alien race, use several aliens to do their bidding, destroyed the Homeworld, and keep killing billions Romulans, I don't see why a Romulan would willingly join them.
D'Tan is an idealist, but so far he is rebuilding the Romulan, instead of destroying it like the Tal Shiar. Your character don't have to agree with a reunification, but rebuilding the RSE is a worthy goal. Also, it wouldn't be the first time the RSE is siding with others powers in time of need (Duras sisters, Donatra + Picard...).

Sela is empress by title only, she have no more the right to lead Romulan than Shinzon did.

If you want to defect to the bad guy, that would mean no STF (STF is a common force between KDF and Fed, including D'Tan soon, they don't want the Tal Shiar having Borg tech). No FE involving any Iconian plot, as they are your masters after all. No fleet base, as the fed/KDF would not allow it. No kdf/fed ships. No Nukara/New Romulus, for obvious reasons, which mean no reputations.

A lot of people keep the name RSE and want to be part of it. In fact, the RSE is dead the day of Hobus supernova. Sela kept the name, but that's just that with her, a name. The meaning is gone the day she sided with Iconians.
I want to be part of the old RSE to. But I can't, thanks JJ for that.

Last edited by erei1; 04-29-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Lieutenant
# 37
04-29-2013, 04:14 AM
They want for this whole Romulan Republic thing only for one reason :

To copy&paste as much existing Fed/Kdf-content as possible.

Any solution which gives away that, won't be taken into serious consideration.
Career Officer
# 38
04-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
What I don't understand is that people refuse to take note of the fact that cryptic has on more than one occasion indicated that the romulans at some point will grow into a faction with their own fleets.

The way romulans will be shaped in the beginning is not how they will look forever... It will just be a step on the roade to becoming great again.
Cryptic says a lot of things, they hint at an even greater number. Almost every time players end up disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.
Republic Veteran
# 39
04-29-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovrel View Post
The Empire was known for its xenophobic character and policies of extreme secrecy and territorial protectionism.

This from Memory Alpha. A lot of players seem not to realise that playing as an Imperial Romulan brings a lot of limitations story progress wise. I think Cryptic did a very good move to let is play 'New Romulans' who are more open minded to the rest of the universe. It is also for a game designer more interesting since there are more story options.

I am a lucky Beta tester and I only can say, the new content is just marvelous and I am looking forward to roll my Romulan character when this patch goes life.
This is a solid hit on the head of the nail! I concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
So far, the only choices as a Romulan will be D'Tan, or Sela's Tal Shiar. Knowing the Tal Shiar are puppets of an alien race, use several aliens to do their bidding, destroyed the Homeworld, and keep killing billions Romulans, I don't see why a Romulan would willingly join them.
If you want to defect to the bad guy, that would mean no STF (STF is a common force between KDF and Fed, including D'Tan soon, they don't want the Tal Shiar having Borg tech). No FE involving any Iconian plot, as they are your masters after all... No Nukara/New Romulus, for obvious reasons, which mean no reputations.

A lot of people keep the name RSE and want to be part of it. In fact, the RSE is dead the day of Hobus supernova. Sela kept the name, but that's just that with her, a name. The meaning is gone the day she sided with Iconians.
I want to be part of the old RSE to. But I can't, thanks JJ for that.
Excellent points! The honest truth, not pessimistic nor optimistic, just honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satinavian View Post

May 21st; The day you are proven wrong
Thanks for the expansion that had "as much content as the last"
9 Episodes = 30+ episodes...?

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Career Officer
# 40
04-29-2013, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinavian View Post

lets see here they are doing this to (kits) (stf gear doff mission) (fleets) only thing new to romulan is a back story from 1 to 32 then after that copy past for mission ships more then likely copy past for (vet rewards)
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.