Captain
# 121
04-28-2013, 05:21 AM
I really like that Wouldn't want to be the pitcher or the batter though

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
I was sort of wondering about that, but as we've seen in modern Earth cultures, extremist views have a way of permeating a society very quickly.
Encounters with the Klingons soured the Dynasty's view of off-worlders (although to be honest, I'd feel more sorry for the klinks who thought using edged weapons against a walking bag of acid was a good idea... ) and that lead to a real sense of 'otherness', and that off-worlders were of a lower caste than the v'nai, so typical etiquette and values of charity simply don't apply to them...

Quote:
Looking forward to seeing where that goes!
Remember the guy in The Sixth Day who had the Virtual Girlfriend? Somewhere like that... Only the good Ensign hasn't yet sussed that he was talking to a collections of photons and forcefields

Last edited by marcusdkane; 04-28-2013 at 05:25 AM.
Captain
# 122
04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Atmospheric fusion = LOL!

@fu11ofstars - heck. yes. That was good and fun to read! I hope to read more of Nalah in the future
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 123
04-28-2013, 01:36 PM
@fu11ofstars: Awesome entry, I really liked the contained menace in Nalah's behavior
Ensign
# 124
04-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Thanks @marcusdkane, @cmdrscarlet, @sander233.

It's only after I wrote this piece that I went back and counted the number of times Nalah thought about killing someone (not counting the concussion). I was going for something like post-trauma, but that might have been a little over the top. Still, glad you liked it.

I promise, in the next thing I write for this challenge, nobody dies.

I had also intended on going through the last round of contributions and making individual comments for each one. I still hope I'll have time in the next couple of days to do that this time. But in case I don't (work has been crazy, so I might post after the challenge is over), I wanted to say to everyone how impressed I was with the quality of writing.

I enjoy the game, but reading these challenge entries is by far my favorite part of STO. Everything I've read is great, and everyone strikes me as a talented author.

Anyway, that's all for now. Thanks for the great reads.
Career Officer
# 125
04-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Frank Grimes is back.

Keep an eye on patrickngo's awesome story "Pear Shaped" for developments...

"The Snowmenz Are Coming! The Snowmenz Are Coming!!"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 126
04-29-2013, 07:44 AM
@Fu11ofstars:
Nalah is...I LIKE her. This was very good, I look forward to seeing more of her.
"when you're out of Birds of Prey, you're out of ships."

I play KDF, because being a genocidal maniac works better with Klingons, than explaining it as a member of Starfleet.
Career Officer
# 127
04-29-2013, 05:07 PM
I've added another piece of Ssharki's story arc to LC40. Description and cast list are in the LC40 discussion thread.

Thanks for reading!

Captain
# 128
04-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Quote:
I've added another piece of Ssharki's story arc to LC40. Description and cast list are in the LC40 discussion thread.

Thanks for reading!
Absolutely fantastic entry The situation reminded me of FM Busby's StarRebel, which is set at a similarly (if not more) brutal space academy. Given how well you handle Klingon and Gorn characters, I'd be very interested to see what you did with a Pentaxian

PS For the record, mint chip is my favorite
Career Officer
# 129
04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
Absolutely fantastic entry The situation reminded me of FM Busby's StarRebel, which is set at a similarly (if not more) brutal space academy. Given how well you handle Klingon and Gorn characters, I'd be very interested to see what you did with a Pentaxian

PS For the record, mint chip is my favorite
I'm glad you liked it! I thought certain aspects of it might appeal to your sense of humor (Like the bit with the mint chip.)

I think Admiral LaRoca may have an opening for a Pentaxian on his bridge pretty soon...

Captain
# 130
04-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Quote:
I'm glad you liked it! I thought certain aspects of it might appeal to your sense of humor (Like the bit with the mint chip.)
Very much so, and equally, there're bits in StarRebel which fall into very dark comedy (if actually intended to be, or if my sense of humor is just warped enough to find such things funny )

Quote:
I think Admiral LaRoca may have an opening for a Pentaxian on his bridge pretty soon...
To quote Mister Burns:

Excellent...

Just for the record, Pentaxia is currently not a full-Federation member. Slightly more so than the Klingon Empire was during Worf's childhood, but still separate, and for the past 130 years, very much isolationist, albeit with the Empress Ch'K'rr attempting to bridge that division since Hobus (coincidental timing, rather than any political machinations on her part...)