Captain
# 111
04-27-2013, 05:06 AM
I've just played the Legacy of Romulus Tribble test version, and taking a look at the ships in the ship purchase screen (on the Romulan Flotilla), they are of very high quality.

I'm hoping that at some point, the attention to detail seen in the Romulan vessels could be reapplied to existing Federation vessels to keep them visually on-par.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Lt. Commander
# 112
04-27-2013, 05:51 AM
Those obvious model errors are a disgrace, especially after so many years. I remember the original Galaxy model they had and it was just flat out wrong. They corrected most of the model after the forum outcry, shame to see that after so many years the ships are still so full of errors.
It's almost as if they modeled these ships of a single zoomed out picture.

As for all the fanboys in this topic going on about how minor this is and how only super Trek nerds can be bothered about it etc.. This is a Star Trek MMO. For the most part focused on the ships. The canon ships should be 100% accurate to the shows/movies or this could just as well be a generic sci-fi game.

Quote:
I've just played the Legacy of Romulus Tribble test version, and taking a look at the ships in the ship purchase screen (on the Romulan Flotilla), they are of very high quality.

I'm hoping that at some point, the attention to detail seen in the Romulan vessels could be reapplied to existing Federation vessels to keep them visually on-par.
Yet there is already a topic on the accuracy errors of the D'deridex warbird model...

Last edited by lord7tareq; 04-27-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 113
04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I picked up the Sabre-class today and was surprised to see it still lacks strobes, has window clipping issues, and is covered with those awful red weapon hardpoints. It's kind of silly that we still have ships in such bad shape, and I can't fathom why revisiting these models isn't of higher priority given that we spend more than half of our game time staring at them.

This is more than a quality of life issue.

Please spend some time going over the older ship models. It's sorely needed.
Starfleet Veteran
# 114
04-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinson7 View Post
The Nebula Class ship should also be firing its torpedoes out of the Mission Pod up top, for both fore and aft launches. It currently only fires out of the pod in the aft direction, while forward the torpedoes shoot out of some vague area near the deflector dish, despite there being no torpedo launchers there.
The Nebula-class does have a forward torpedo launcher just above its deflector array, you see it firing from there in First Contact.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 04-30-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Ensign
# 115
05-02-2013, 05:01 AM
I've said for years that I'd happily make a new Sovereign/Galaxy & Intrepid for Cryptic but I've never been given the opportunity. I don't even want money or credit for doing it, just let me look at something pretty while I'm flying around the quadrant.

I've worked for years in the video game industry and now I've moved to working on motion pictures as a cg artist. I could do this with my eyes closed.
Captain
# 116
05-02-2013, 06:26 AM
I'm not -exactly bothered by small visual inconsistancies, but the larger ones...

Take the fleet dssv for instance - when kitbashing them, you'd expect the main textures, ect to line up, the decal patterns to look right and so on - pretty standard stuff considering you are paying 2000z (or ec equivalent) for a set of ship modules to use it

Unfortunately, no matter the configuration, the material shade on the fleet ship costume is slightly darker than the material used on the standard ship parts - even though they are using the same material! That along with the alignment issues means the only parts you can really change without the ship looking like Frankeinsteins tragedy are the pylons and nacelles as every decal and the ship material itself on the saucer and hull do not match up

A similar issue, but only decal-wise applies to the fleet norgh/ning'tao (off topic..but why is it named a ning'tao but only has the norgh costume as standard unless you buy the ning'tao?)

Granted, its only aesthetic and once I'm blasting away (or dropping grav wells) its barely registers, but parked outside esd while you are opening doff boxes for the daily starbase feed...
Captain
# 117
05-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by croesusx View Post
I've said for years that I'd happily make a new Sovereign/Galaxy & Intrepid for Cryptic but I've never been given the opportunity. I don't even want money or credit for doing it, just let me look at something pretty while I'm flying around the quadrant.

I've worked for years in the video game industry and now I've moved to working on motion pictures as a cg artist. I could do this with my eyes closed.
Agreed - the problem is that we are never given the opportunity, despite the lack of time pressure and great resources us players have , compared to the Devs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burstorion View Post
I'm not -exactly bothered by small visual inconsistancies, but the larger ones...

Take the fleet dssv for instance - when kitbashing them, you'd expect the main textures, ect to line up, the decal patterns to look right and so on - pretty standard stuff considering you are paying 2000z (or ec equivalent) for a set of ship modules to use it

Unfortunately, no matter the configuration, the material shade on the fleet ship costume is slightly darker than the material used on the standard ship parts - even though they are using the same material! That along with the alignment issues means the only parts you can really change without the ship looking like Frankeinsteins tragedy are the pylons and nacelles as every decal and the ship material itself on the saucer and hull do not match up

A similar issue, but only decal-wise applies to the fleet norgh/ning'tao (off topic..but why is it named a ning'tao but only has the norgh costume as standard unless you buy the ning'tao?)

Granted, its only aesthetic and once I'm blasting away (or dropping grav wells) its barely registers, but parked outside esd while you are opening doff boxes for the daily starbase feed...
Exactly. Some of the parts just don't match up, and create these really out-of-place designs - probably due to a rush job and lack of planning.

Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!
Captain
# 118
05-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Oh. I have this phaser pistol that fires pink instead of orange when I use the secondary setting on my bridge after sitting down and getting up to shoot... it's really bugging me.

Seriously, these texture issues will be fixed at one time or another. Cryptic has heard you. They have more pressing matters like server issues, Legacy Of Romulus, and etc.
Captain
# 119
05-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Cryptic has heard me? I haven't heard any acknowledgement from them that they are adding these to their To-Do list.

But yes, Season 8 takes precedence over these issues. I'm hoping they will be addressed at some point in the future, and not a year down the road.