Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
05-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Usernames. Passwords. Multiple platforms which allow multiple logins. There are all sorts of things on the Internet which are intended to "protect a person's privacy". Instead, they actually guarantee a person's anonymity. With anonymity comes a complete release from consequences.

I very firmly believe whenever I read a rant or something which is completely negative and hostile, I am seeing that person's true personality. Because all the rest of us are merely words on a monitor, a lot of people feel no compunction at all to use the basic rules of human interaction. All of us gleefully type in comments and remarks to forums and webpages which we would never dare say to someone else in person. And then, the alleged conversation becomes more about scoring points with the audience than it does about having a meaningful interaction while exploring differing viewpoints.

Short version - All of us, whether we like it or not, have been trolls of the worst sort at one time or another. Because it is just us and our computer. It's not like there is another human on the other side of the screen.
Why do I enjoy JJTrek?

Because I can. Just sayin'

Remember, Kids - Every Doom Is Awesome!
Captain
# 12
05-02-2013, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
It struck me that this could easily apply to the STO Forum community by changing the words "geek" into "gamer".
Except it's not true at all. In fact, most people react to disagreement in the same way they react to personal attack. They are fundamentally unreasonable and commit themselves to defending their positions even when those positions are objectively wrong, and the community here is no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Now I realize that doesn't apply to everybody. But I bet it applies to a lot more people here than we normally give credit for.
Doubt it. Like I said: Most people react to disagreement in the same way the react to personal attack. If someone disagrees with their position, for most such people, it is equivalent to a personal attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderfoot006 View Post
It's not like there is another human on the other side of the screen.
Honestly, I'm not sure why that would be an improvement. Humans are tiresome creatures and it would best if we simply killed them all and replaced them with robots. They would be more efficient.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
Honestly, I'm not sure why that would be an improvement. Humans are tiresome creatures and it would best if we simply killed them all and replaced them with robots. They would be more efficient.
Isn't it funny that that very thing they were afraid of in the '50's would be the best thing to happen to humanity?

Also there is the problem that some people are just Idiots. Now I need to define what I mean by that. For example, my GF is an Idiot. She is hyper opinionated whether those opinions have any basis in fact or logic. It is very tedious to get her to see reason so it's just easier to let her blunder through life and point out the "I told you so" bits which she promptly forgets as she reboots her Idiotdrive.

There are more and more of these people as other people tire of dealing with them and let them be. The good news is in any crisis situation, Idiots are the first to go down as they will not duck and cover without an explanation of why they should do so. The bad news is we don't have enough crisis events occurring to stem the tide.

The other good news is that it is very hard to make a robot Idiot without the use of a strong magnet.
"Zero, Zero, Zero...Destruct, Zero"

Last edited by thlaylierah; 05-02-2013 at 03:36 PM.