Lt. Commander
# 21
08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Don't be afraid to spend credits. If you see items that are selling for a lot less then the others buy and sell them at the or near the the high one. For example if you see Phaser arrays MK X going for 40K but there are 5 on the exchange being sold for 10k buy those at 10k and sell them at 30K. THe rarer the item the more the mark up tends to be USUALLY. Be careful though odd number MK gear can be tricky, pricing them too high or buying one because its lower may actually be a loss since mk IX greens are usually pretty high but MK X commons are much lower.
Lt. Commander
# 22
08-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanehouse View Post
I doubt I could survive in elite. My gear's a bit... lacking, hence the crafting.
No crafting, crafting is a sink hole at this point. It does not provide good enough equipment. If you want better equipment you can do a couple different things.

First, exploration missions. If you are under the rank of Rear Admiral, do exploration missions to earn X Order of Exploration Badges (1st - 5th). You can then turn these in for decent greens at ESD (center of station for character items and turbolift above shipyard for ship items). If you are Rear Admiral, Lower Half, Grade 3... ok form now on calling that lvl 43, you can do the dailies and earn Marks of Exploration, which you can turn in for Purples at Battlegroup Omega. This is probably the easiest way to get good crap in the game. Relatively cheap, easy to earn, you can spec out a ship easily in all Very Rares.

Secondly, if you are more the PVPer, everything similar to the PVE exploration mission rewards is available from PVP. Just pick up the PVP quests, earn the rewards, the venders are all at K7.

You will get better equipment then you would crafting, and this equipment will let you survive (assuming you can play decent enough) in Elite mode.

Honestly, other then buying rare bofs and Dabo I don't spend that much EC. Yes, the Exchange has some awesome items, but of them are relatively equal to the Metacurrency items. But I do sell a lot of what I earn on the Exchange, meaning I make more back then a I spend.
Ensign
# 23 Best way to earn EC
04-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Purchase lock boxes, obtain lobi crystals, buy uniforms and ships and sell them. I sold wells uniforms at 19,000,000 ec a pop.
Captain
# 24
05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
The fastest is to do the Tour of the Galaxy. If you take the right route (not the whole thing) you can make 1.4M EC or more in an hour, especially at Level 50. This is the cheapest way.

The second fastest way to get the most EC is to sell keys. For 125 Zen you buys a key and then put them on the Exchange. They are going for about 1.5M EC. This can be expensive but it's can be fast. This is probably more profitable than selling items from the lockboxes because it's a sure thing selling keys, otherwise you have to hope for something valuable.
Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.

Last edited by sirokk; 05-01-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 25
05-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainfallah View Post
Purchase lock boxes, obtain lobi crystals, buy uniforms and ships and sell them. I sold wells uniforms at 19,000,000 ec a pop.
Not helpful. The OP is accessing the forum through a temporal anomaly. For them it is 2010. There are no lockboxes and crafting is not completely useless yet.

To the OP. craft and stockpile gear. When F2P hits there will be many new characters in need of it and crafting will be renderd pointless by the introduction of unreplicatables.

We cant tell you more without disturbing the time line.

Last edited by pwstolemyname; 05-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Captain
# 26
05-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post
The second fastest way to get the most EC is to sell keys. For 125 Zen you buys a key and then put them on the Exchange. They are going for about 1.5M EC. This can be expensive but it's can be fast. This is probably more profitable than selling items from the lockboxes because it's a sure thing selling keys, otherwise you have to hope for something valuable.
This has not been true for a long time. Oh your prices are correct, but other items have long since replaced keys as a better value for zen to EC.

125zen is currently about (130dil/zen) 16,250 dilithium = 16 uncommon unreplicatable materials. These sell at about 200k ec each = 3.2m EC

So using the same zen to buy dilithium and then sell unreplicatable materials earns more than twice as much money as the key.

Also duty officers are EXCELLENT money. Many of the duty officer mini packs sell for 120k ec and have 3 white duty officers and 1 green or better. Science and civilian doffs are worth bugger all (between 1k and 6k), but the rest move for between 30k and 80k at white quality. The greens average 45k. Blues average 120k and purples 700k.

At a cost of 120k you can sell the doffs for an average of 195k.

Also note that currently contraband is at a near historic low moving for only about 32-35k each, whereas back in December it was up at 65-85k each.

Edit: also note that duty officers sell for a solid 15-25% more klingon side that federation. So if you have a choice, open those packs with a klingon. And the prices of white quality duty officers has been rising slowly as dilithium stops being the major hang up for fleet projects and duty officers becomes the new sticking point for project completion.

last, doing the math, it is a matter of luck if you consider the "general recruitment" duty officer mission worth the 1,000 dilithium to get a doff minipack. you can guarantee a sale of the unrep for 200k or more, but will only earn more than 200k from the doffs if you get lucky with the contents of the pack. I don't have enough data if the occasional blue/purple swings the value of the packs high enough to make it worthwhile over time. Intuitively I think it would because they are very close in value. But if Unreps rise in price to average more than 250k I can't believe luck will let the general recruitment equal it.

Last edited by gavinruneblade; 05-01-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Captain
# 27
05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Temporal Investigations has been contacted regarding this blatant Temporal Incursion.
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/144/0/2/sto_sig_character_by_rattler20200-d7jlk1h.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Rose
And then I sneezed. And then I exploded.
Lt. Commander
# 28
05-01-2013, 03:43 PM
Woot, a temporal anomaly! *Sends message to past self* "Quick! Sell all your Zen for Dilithium when the price is still 300+!! And don't buy the Galaxy refit, it sucks!"
Captain
# 29
05-02-2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwstolemyname View Post
Not helpful. The OP is accessing the forum through a temporal anomaly. For them it is 2010. There are no lockboxes and crafting is not completely useless yet.

To the OP. craft and stockpile gear. When F2P hits there will be many new characters in need of it and crafting will be renderd pointless by the introduction of unreplicatables.

We cant tell you more without disturbing the time line.
Oh, this was *far* more entertaining than the usual necro-post and zombie thread jokes. You made my day.
Republic Veteran
# 30
05-02-2013, 09:48 PM
One way regarding Otha would be to change instances. Sometimes you'll get into the Lt. or Lt. Cmdr. ranked Otha and have a field day. Rescue 3-4 captives and at LEAST 2-3 nodes and you win a blue. 18 points+ gets you a guaranteed Blue quality item. Most I've sold one for is around 2,000,000 EC (this was a while ago though for a sniper rifle, don't know the prices now).