Captain
# 1 Assimilated from the neck up?
04-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Every so often this comes up (usually by me) and with the new promo image on the blog for Legacy of Romulus dev blog 11, it seems like just as good a time as any.

What's up with everything ending at the neck like that? It's weird and looks really hokey. Granted in the first few months it made sense, but now all this time later why is it that there is no updated look or completion of old art assets? With how much money was spent on open uniforms and all that when will we finally see that horrible differentiation between head and body disappear?

It looks very awkward indeed so i was really surprised when it ended up on the front page. I think with a lot of the additions to this game since launch that they should go back and redo this issue so that the Alien Generation can finally get rid of that line. God knows the Cardassians, the Borg, the Jem'Hadar, and even the trill can finally get rid of that line.
Rihannsu
# 2
04-30-2013, 11:54 PM
I've done some work with 3D figure modeling, and I have worked with figures that have trill-like spots. Usually they do that because there is a texture seam there, it's difficult to match the two textures up, especially since the torso is probably lower res then the face. In order to save time and prevent the ugly seam that would form on the neck line, they stop the trill spots short. It sounds like an easy fix, but trust me, it's not.

It's even more difficult in a dynamic renderer like this, where a character is expected to move. Movement stretches and misaligned textures, meaning it would make the neck line look even worse.
Captain
# 3
05-01-2013, 09:02 PM
But what is the lesser of two evils here? Putting in the work(which will be required if they make a Dominion, Borg, or Cardassian faction) to make some thing better looking over all, or to leave something in an outdated unfinished looking state that just looks terrible.

I understand the seeming issue, it can really be worse over in CO seeing how matching parts will still have the same problem leaving a visible line. But it's not even the skins that do this. There are a lot of in game assets that could really use some touching up to allow for use with open uniforms and such, Seven of Nine's Hand implant is a great example. Sure you never see it under the uniform but there have been instances where you see it running up the arm. Cardassians have the Neck scales that run to the shoulders as well as along the clavicle and sternum. I know there are a ton of people that would love to have the Ketrecel Tube added in for their Jem'Hadar characters. The borg characters would love to have the full assimilated skin as well as the ability to pick and choose extra wires and such to look less human.

Not only is it an opportunity to fix the issue at hand but it would also be the perfect opportunity to be creative and add in extras as a nice little freebee to every one. To be honest i would hate to see this game become like CO where things are often left unfinished once it's released. It's a major aesthetic issue as well as one that will only keep popping up in the future, especially if there is any possibility of adding additional factions or Species in the game. Every one else deserves the same treatment that Caitians and Trills have had for months now.
Survivor of Romulus
# 4
05-02-2013, 06:09 AM
surely anyone who is Liberated borg wants as much of that metal crap as possible removed and replaced with actual person
Captain
# 5
05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Judging by the looks of people running in game, i doubt that, even from the story stand point the Borg are currently a lot harder to reclaim and some are just too far gone physically to ever be normal again. There's also a Boff you can get that's full on Borg so even though some people might want to have most of it removed, some times it's just not possible.
Captain
# 6
05-22-2013, 02:21 PM
I've been playing as a romulan in game (liberated of course) an given that we've just been handed the Tal Shiar lock box as well as just how much Borg technology means to them at this point i still find it a really sad statement that Cryptic refuses to fix any of these assets, especially how many open uniform options there are. I would love it if my Characters body matched his head, i would love being able to roll up the sleeves and wear the romulan vests but clearly that's not going to happen until they add more to the nonbasic skins. There's not even a skin tone that matches the infected look so i can't even halfass it like the Bolians get.

Please Please Please, if you're going to make Borg technology as big in this game as you already have at least take the time to fix what should have been done in year one once open uniforms hit. This isn't just the infected skin either but any complexion or skin type that adds detail to the face (minus the trill, but that's mostly there because of a sexual innuendo), even just the aged skin just ends weirdly at the neck. With the Character creator update they should have added torso or hand options as well, maybe like what Champions has so people using the alien generator can still mix and match.
Starfleet Veteran
# 7
05-22-2013, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wraithshadow13 View Post
Judging by the looks of people running in game, i doubt that,
Conjecture based on personal appeal.

That being said, more options would be nice. Why hasn't it been done yet? Priorities, I'd wager.

I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
And remember to follow the rules.
Captain
# 8
05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
The problem is it's not just the Assimilated skin but most of them, there are just way too many unfinished art assets for the character creator, even some of the new hair styles from LOR have obvious bald spots on them. Regardless of the skin type or hair or what ever, it would be nice for cryptic to go through and update them all to work with the new more open uniforms.