Commander
# 1 Tovan Khev continuity error
05-03-2013, 01:15 AM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d=#post9633871

Virinat was already an established agricultural colony in 2387 when it was included by Donatra in the defunct Imperial Romulan State and not brought about by the Hobus Incident.

Unless STO is going to go against established Trek lore again...

Legacy of Romulus - Closed Beta - Round 1 Playtester
Career Officer
# 2
05-03-2013, 01:47 AM
Hate to say it, but when it comes to the Star Trek novels, Cryptic picks and chooses what they want.

Like how they took the name T'Liss from the Enterprise Novels and used it for the Romulan BoP, when it was the name of the Holodrone / Warbird that was used on Enterprise. Or choosing names that they "like", for instance name Hermes, when it's been been disputed as semi-canon (not seen but graphics shown in the movies), or the VoD'leh being the Negh'var varient from All Good Things, and them using the name as the Vo'Quv's alternate skin.

It's because of that, I just can't respect STO as Star Trek canon.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Republic Veteran
# 3
05-03-2013, 02:48 AM
Novels have always been soft canon, hence why they are confined to Memory Beta.
# 4
05-03-2013, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakhglitch View Post
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d=#post9633871

Virinat was already an established agricultural colony in 2387 when it was included by Donatra in the defunct Imperial Romulan State and not brought about by the Hobus Incident.

Unless STO is going to go against established Trek lore again...
Uhhh, play through the tutorial, talk to the Keeper of Lore. She's got a perfectly good explanation for why they're recolonizing Virinat instead of simply joining its population.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, lovely, I can't even requote the Douglas Adams quote I used to have here I WANT IT BACK!!!!
Dalo Lorn
DaloLorn, StarCraft 2 Roleplayer and proud of it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
05-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
Hate to say it, but when it comes to the Star Trek novels, Cryptic picks and chooses what they want.
They kind of have to, considering depending on which novels you go by:

A. The Enterprise E is either still in service, destroyed, or decommissioned, and is captained by one of four people.
B. The Enterprise F either doesn't exist yet, is a Sovereign class, Enterprise class, or an unnamed class with MVAM (the last one is technically a future that was wiped out by temporal/dimensional shenanigans), and also has several possible captains
C. The Borg are either gone completely, defeated but not destroyed, a minor threat, or still basically invincible except by plot beams from the deflector dish. They're also either fully adapted, still weak, or even weaker than before to transphasic torpedoes and other weapons future-Janeway brought back.
D. Romulus is either destroyed, the center of an anti-Khitomer Accord alliance, or an unlikely bridge of peace between warring factions.
E. Various characters are either dead, alive, assimilated, or still in the wormhole.

The novels can't be reconciled with each other, let alone STO.

Last edited by hevach; 05-03-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 6
05-03-2013, 06:27 AM
Quote:
And it's a good thing too since novel writers do the same.

While I like the Destiny novels, I'm very glad they're not part of STO's cannon. I gotta fight me some Borg! But they do tip their hat to them with the Borg Red Alerts and the Vesta class. Then there's the Typhoon Pact, I'm really not a fan of that storyline (especially one of the founders of the Federation leaving ) so I'm glad that one isn't included either.

Yes, it's mostly personal preference listed here, but what I'm really getting at is that the devs have a pretty cool story they're telling, and not all of the novels coincide with that story, nor do all the novels coincide with each other.
Great News!

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Empire Veteran
# 7
05-03-2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Considering the novels are soft canon, they're allowed to do that. If any of the novels events were shown in film or tv, then it'd be different.
Was named Trek17, but still an author.
Republic Veteran
# 8
05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
They kind of have to, considering depending on which novels you go by:

A. The Enterprise E is either still in service, destroyed, or decommissioned.
B. The Enterprise F either doesn't exist yet, is a Sovereign class, Enterprise class, or an unnamed class with MVAM (the last one is technically a future that was wiped out by temporal/dimensional shenanigans
C. The Borg are either gone completely, defeated, a minor threat, or still basically invincible except by plot beams from the deflector dish. They're also either fully adapted, still weak, or even weaker than before to transphasic torpedoes and other weapons future-Janeway brought back.
D. Romulus is either destroyed, the center of an anti-Khitomer Accord alliance, or an unlikely bridge of peace between warring factions.
E. Various characters are either dead, alive, assimilated, or still in the wormhole.

The novels can't be reconciled with each other, let alone STO.
^Oops, didn't realize someone already mentioned my point. Not trying to beat a dead horse here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek21 View Post
Considering the novels are soft canon, they're allowed to do that. If any of the novels events were shown in film or tv, then it'd be different.
But at least I'm not the only one with my horse beating stick jk
Great News!

It's pronounced "S.T.O." "Stow" sounds idiotic! lol
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
05-03-2013, 06:47 AM
No worries, it's a horse that needs a good beating. As long as there are people who will call out Cryptic for not adhering to novel continuity (which is not a thing), the horse will not die.
Captain
# 10
05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalolorn View Post
Uhhh, play through the tutorial, talk to the Keeper of Lore. She's got a perfectly good explanation for why they're recolonizing Virinat instead of simply joining its population.
This. It's explained in game.