Ensign
# 61
01-04-2013, 05:50 AM
I read all 6 pages but I still got a question about the EULA.
Is it allowed to recreate an event from a episode.

For example that the player will be pulled in the void space as seen in an episode of Star Trek Voyager. But Voyager or any ships/characters in that episode will not be used.

And references is allowed, right? For example that there is discussion what the Voyager Crew did to get out of the void.

Thanks,
Alexw
Survivor of Romulus
# 62
01-04-2013, 06:55 AM
What you describe would be fine.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Lt. Commander
# 63
02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
So... I just read through the EULA for the Foundry, and then read through it again, and I'm wondering if I missed something....

What about the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie?

Does the EULA imply that we can't make a Captain Kirk that looks like Shatner, but we can create a Kirk that looks like Chris Pine?

by @Skydawn - member of Starbase UGC
Rihannsu
# 64
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
No, no representation of real people, ever. It's odd how they phrase it.... There is a blanket provision for any depiction of any person, but also a seperate provision for Star Trek chars played by live actors.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 65
02-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Reading the Foundry EULA, and the "No links to Internet URLs allowed" sticks out at me as being ridiculous.

The Foundry is designed to allow authors to create content to enhance the experience of playing STO. In order to do that, authors need to promote their missions and such - and since some people do not visit this forum's Foundry section, it becomes necessary to promote it in-game.

Thus the URLs. Authors may choose to create a promotional video to showcase their mission, or provide supplementary maps or appendices to help players better immersify in the mission, if it's a complex storyline.

I fail to see why this rule exists. I will obey it, since that is the EULA, but I strongly protest. If it's an issue, at least amend the EULA so only user-generated outside content are allowed to be linked via URL in missions. Ex: link to a Photobucket image of a mission's map is OK, but a link to Youtube for a DS9 battle would not be OK.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Retired STO Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
PvP: PvP Boot Camp, the best newbie oriented training initiative in STO!
Rihannsu
# 66
04-04-2013, 02:51 PM
I found this interesting quote from the January ask Cryptic in another thread.
Quote:
Q: (flash525) What is the Cryptic's policy where other designs from other games are concerned? The DS9: Dominion Wars game has the Federation Achilles, Klingon K'vorcha and a couple of Cardassian designs, the ST: Armada game has the Romulan Griffin and Shrike, along with a bunch of other Cardassian and Klingon designs. I'm sure there are other Trek games out there with further designs. Are we ever likely to see any of these within STO?

Dstahl: Good question. Our license with CBS is restricted to the TV Shows, the movies (up to Nemesis), the Animated Series, and some of the book fiction. Unfortunately, this license doesn?t extend to other video games. However, if those ships or factions appeared in any of the previously mentioned properties, then it is fair game.
So the license for STO DOES include TAS. I would guess that this does apply to the Foundry.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 67
04-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydawnknight View Post
So... I just read through the EULA for the Foundry, and then read through it again, and I'm wondering if I missed something....

What about the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie?

Does the EULA imply that we can't make a Captain Kirk that looks like Shatner, but we can create a Kirk that looks like Chris Pine?
Can't use the likeness of a real person and can't use anything from JJtrek or the books and someone other than CBS holds that license and has not sold it to cryptic. Well we can mention events from said movie like the Hobus supernova but that's it.

And the Nero tattoo is in the Foundry.

But I swear that's it.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for.
Rihannsu
# 68
05-03-2013, 08:53 AM
Okay, I have two areas of questions.

1. There are these two sections in the EULA.

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.

I take this to mean that I can not talk about Bill Shatner, but I can talk Captain Kirk? I just can't show him, since he looks like Shatner?

You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

Does this cover things like characters from books?

Other Prohibited uses of New Game Materials published using The Foundry:
You may not use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day).

So, I can't have Issac Newton in the game. But, like Data, could I have Issac Newton the poker playing hologram in game?

2. Related to the EULA I guess, but could I take a holodeck program from the show, remove all of the "likenesses" from it and shoot it out? Specficially I am thinking about Tom Paris's version of Photon's be Free.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Survivor of Romulus
# 69
05-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by malkarris View Post
Okay, I have two areas of questions.

1. There are these two sections in the EULA.

Prohibited Uses of the Star Trek Properties:
You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.

I take this to mean that I can not talk about Bill Shatner, but I can talk Captain Kirk? I just can't show him, since he looks like Shatner?
Correct. Essentially you can't use the faces or names of any real people. You can find ways of using canon characters without using the actors' likenesses though.

Quote:
You may not use copyrighted content from the Properties, including but not limited to web content, promotional materials (posters, advertisements) or existing licensed merchandise (novels, trading cards, figurines).

Does this cover things like characters from books?
Correct, we cannot use characters from the books.

Quote:
Other Prohibited uses of New Game Materials published using The Foundry:
You may not use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day).

So, I can't have Issac Newton in the game. But, like Data, could I have Issac Newton the poker playing hologram in game?
You can have Issac Newton, but it can't look like Issac Newton. Not that he's likely to lodge a lawsuit, but that's still the principle we have to operate under.

Quote:
2. Related to the EULA I guess, but could I take a holodeck program from the show, remove all of the "likenesses" from it and shoot it out? Specficially I am thinking about Tom Paris's version of Photon's be Free.
I suppose you could recreate something like this. Just be aware of plagiarism, you don't want a piece of that if you want to adapt something like this from the shows, make sure to rewrite it in your own words and remember: no likenesses of real people.
Commander
So, by my reading, if I wanted to involve STO's Enterprise-F in one or more phases of my planned foundry series: Star Trek: Ragnarok, I would be allowed to? Could someone please confirm this for me? Thanks.

Oh, and with regards to the rule of no posting url links in the mission, What about if we wanted to place suggested/optional music that they could use for the mission? I too will follow the rule until I am given the go no-go for the said thought.

Last edited by sampa4; 05-10-2013 at 08:22 AM. Reason: just remembered this second question