Commander
# 101
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Something I was just thinking about. After a Dev Blog is posted there is always lots of discussion going on, just like here. The difference is that BranFlakes and other devs (sometimes even Dan) respond a lot. Yet, none have commented in this discussion. Interesting, very interesting.
Empire Veteran
# 102
05-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
Something I was just thinking about. After a Dev Blog is posted there is always lots of discussion going on, just like here. The difference is that BranFlakes and other devs (sometimes even Dan) respond a lot. Yet, none have commented in this discussion. Interesting, very interesting.
Well in Brans defense he did have a late night last night with the servers going down and all.

But I would like someone to speak to as to why they are forcing non-customizable BO's on us.
- Formerly Varrangian
Lieutenant
# 103
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by varrvarr View Post
Well in Brans defense he did have a late night last night with the servers going down and all.

But I would like someone to speak to as to why they are forcing non-customizable BO's on us.
I agree.

/10char
Captain
# 104
05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarium1979 View Post
There's very little to say. Cryptic opted to go for a character focused approach to bringing the Romulan storyline to life. Some people clearly can't handle that.

They're not going to re-write and rewire the entire faction simply because a subset of players can't get over the fact that a structured game with a structured plot isn't 100% open ended.
Lt. Commander
# 105
05-03-2013, 10:35 AM
I havent tried this yet because I havent wanted to waste skill points....

But I have heard reports that you can not RETRAIN his skills and you are stuck with the ones he has.

Can anyone confirm or deny...
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Captain
# 106
05-03-2013, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlbrtnfrnt View Post
I havent tried this yet because I havent wanted to waste skill points....

But I have heard reports that you can not RETRAIN his skills and you are stuck with the ones he has.

Can anyone confirm or deny...
Granted it was about half a dozen tribble builds ago, but I was more than able to retrain him.
Lt. Commander
# 107
05-03-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
There's very little to say. Cryptic opted to go for a character focused approach to bringing the Romulan storyline to life. Some people clearly can't handle that.

They're not going to re-write and rewire the entire faction simply because a subset of players can't get over the fact that a structured game with a structured plot isn't 100% open ended.
its not a faction... its a sub-species of Feds or KDFs with a few missions and ships. You might as well be an Andorian or Lethean.
PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY
Empire Veteran
# 108
05-03-2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:

Actually there is a point in discussion. There is no reason this BO can't be made customizable. Yeah VO means Gender is stuck. Also the BO doesn't need to be our "First Officer". Fine he's a story driven element and I need him for the story, I get that, but don't force me to have him in my crew in a way I don't want.

That's not how STO works and it didn't even work for SWTOR. One of the biggest complaints people had was they needed to have X companion equipped, to complete X mission or for the healing, but they didn't like X companion. Giving people a story to enjoy is fine, forcing them to enjoy it one way is not a good game mechanic.
- Formerly Varrangian
Captain
# 109
05-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Actually there is a point in discussion. There is no reason this BO can't be made customizable. Yeah VO means Gender is stuck. Also the BO doesn't need to be our "First Officer". Fine he's a story driven element and I need him for the story, I get that, but don't force me to have him in my crew in a way I don't want.
There absolutely is a reason: Tovan appears as an NPC in multiple missions. That means there needs to be a set appearance, since as far as the game is concerned BOFF Torvan and NPC Torvan are two entirely different entities. STO cannot make on the fly changes to NPCs based on what you do to your BOFFs.

Quote:
That's not how STO works and it didn't even work for SWTOR. One of the biggest complaints people had was they needed to have X companion equipped, to complete X mission or for the healing, but they didn't like X companion. Giving people a story to enjoy is fine, forcing them to enjoy it one way is not a good game mechanic.
The only times specific companions were mandatory in TOR were when they were needed for plot reasons. All of the solo content is easily completable regardless of which companion you bring along.

Secondly, if you play a story heavy game you need to accept the fact that that story is going to frame the way the game plays. If that's something you can't deal with, then rolling a Romulan isn't for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnlbrtnfrnt
its not a faction... its a sub-species of Feds or KDFs with a few missions and ships. You might as well be an Andorian or Lethean.
I'm not getting into a semantic argument as to whether the RSR is or is not a faction. That discussion is entirely irrelevant to Romulan missions being considerably more character driven than the KDF or Feds.
Empire Veteran
# 110
05-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
There absolutely is a reason: Tovan appears as an NPC in multiple missions. That means there needs to be a set appearance, since as far as the game is concerned BOFF Torvan and NPC Torvan are two entirely different entities. STO cannot make on the fly changes to NPCs based on what you do to your BOFFs.

The only times specific companions were mandatory in TOR were when they were needed for plot reasons. All of the solo content is easily completable regardless of which companion you bring along.

Secondly, if you play a story heavy game you need to accept the fact that that story is going to frame the way the game plays. If that's something you can't deal with, then rolling a Romulan isn't for you.
Fine then make him BO, but don't make him take up a BO slot. He's forced on me, great, but don't make him take up BO space. I mean I have no desire for this guy even in my crew on my Reman ship, let alone for him as my first office, if I can relegate him to only story content I'll never play LoR and I can bet I'm not alone.

Obviously, I haven't played this content (I would love to, but I'm not in the Beta), but I know how I play games, I know how STO works having been here since alpha. Heck we had BO voice work back then and it was so annoying people complained about it and they turned it off.

In SWTOR, game mechanics meant you were better off having certain companions with you if you weren't in full party, I may have hated Gusso, but my soloing or duoing went much better with in in place. It was also what drove me and my guild away from the game. Once the Dev's story was told I had not desire to keep playing, I didn't have my own story to adventure through or even my own crew to feel attachment to. In STO I do. I have my all Klingon crew, my all Vulcan ship, my All Andorians (Thank you Devs for finally giving my a proper ship to man). I'm not going to change the way I play STO now because they threw in some story.
- Formerly Varrangian