Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,853
# 21
05-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkraust View Post
You sir are a joke and are behind on the times something fierce.
Thanks for helping to instill a sense of community on these forums. It's posters like you that really make the internet shine. Keep up the excellent work sir.

Quote:
For what?
For everything.

Quote:
Sure the Fleet Star isn't the best thing ever, but its still going to do 7-10K DPS with an A2B build and be able to tank absolutely everything while keeping aggro and not dying (thus keeping aggro away from your Tacs that can't tank ****).
He can already do that in the ship he's already flying. He can sink all of those resources into his wells and just be better at everything than he would be in a star cruiser. Except tanking. Which isn't needed since in PvE he can tank just fine on the toughest content with a few tweaks to his current ship and in PvP he can play the far more valuable science role.

It's a waste of time and resources. He'll be going backwards. He's already a science captain in a wells. He's already set up to be a key asset in PvP groups. And can make his ship kick far more borg butt in STFs. The only compelling reason for him to switch to any kind of cruiser is he's so bored with the game that he purposely wants to gimp himself into flying slow turning ships just so everything he does takes longer.

Last edited by snoggymack22; 05-04-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 127
# 22
05-04-2013, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post



Nah, I just think the gimmick is a waste of time.
Excellent, confirming just terrible then.

You could run a white mk x disruptor beam A2B build and out do most escorts in stfs. Basically the opposite of what you have stated. I'm assuming you've never actually tried this or you wouldn't be this dense on the topic.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,853
# 23
05-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eardianm View Post
Excellent, confirming just terrible then.
Nope, not terrible. Just a far better pilot than you. Which is cool. It's ok to admit that you're inferior. No one will hold it against you. It's ok that you don't know how to harness the actual DPS ships in this game. But a lot of us do. And that's why we fly them. Not star cruisers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 127
# 24
05-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Nope, not terrible. Just a far better pilot than you. Which is cool. It's ok to admit that you're inferior. No one will hold it against you. It's ok that you don't know how to harness the actual DPS ships in this game. But a lot of us do. And that's why we fly them. Not star cruisers.
Hooray, you've descended to my Dad could beat your Dad up talk. I'd of course love to run an STF with you to see this superior piloting, as I will fully admit I'm not a top tier pve escort pilot by any means. But I truly question any advice you'd give after your reaction to the A2B side of cruisers.

And I'm still confused why you would be worried about wasted resources on a ship since everything except the hull could be reused. ~20mil EC to buy the fleet modules off the exchange is not exactly a huge lost investment in a ship if he feels like flying something different, with the bonus upside of having equivalent or better damage potential than the Wells if he wanted to go the A2B route

That said, OP, you'd gain more flexibility on the cruiser road going with the Fleet Excel instead. You lose a touch of tanking ability over the Star Cruiser, but the damage potential if you so choose is much higher. Plus the sassy transwarp thingie.

Or, as snoggy has said, just rework your Wells for more tanking, since you state you've angled it towards tactical. The shields on that ship are ridiculous, tanking should not be an issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
# 25
05-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I sit at about ~10k DPS in my Fleet Excel as it is right now, could probably bump that a little with fleet weapons... DEFINITELY go that direction instead of a Star Cruiser... Almost anything other than a Star Cruiser... Seriously... Anything...
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,882
# 26
05-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkraust View Post



Sticking with Escorts are a waste of time (Well maybe not the newer ones). The Bug is kinda antiquated and is basically only purchased for the Hangers. Bug, Andorian and JHEC (MAYBE FTER) are the only escorts you probably want.

Also your stupid sig linking to the EPS post from 2010 is stupid. EPS Consoles are used to recharge your Aux faster after it comes back online after A2B (thus getting more weapon power buffer faster) and not because it is reducing weapons drain.

Also Cannons are going to be a thing of the past soon. They don't buffer past 125 Weapons Power unlike BAs (and possibly DBBs but I'm not 100%% sure of this as i haven't looked into them recently).

Edit: If you still don't *get* it. I ran an ISE with a few random people. the top two were both using A2B builds.
http://i.imgur.com/0IaEJ0I.png
You sir are kinda nuts if you think Cannons are going to surpass Beams, you make these claims of cruisers doing 15-20k dps but have no evidence, you say you did a few randoms, thats exactly what they are *random*. Just because the Cruisers might have done best doesn't mean they are the best, same going with just because you can't fly one doesn't mean it sucks.

Nothing wrong with his sig at all, there are people who ask if the EPS helps with weapon power regen which it doesn't, I know when I started the game I was giving incorrect advice about EPS'.

I was told it was a must have console by my friend, and for months I used it till I finally learned different.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 138
# 27
05-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
You sir are kinda nuts if you think Cannons are going to surpass Beams, you make these claims of cruisers doing 15-20k dps but have no evidence, you say you did a few randoms, thats exactly what they are *random*. Just because the Cruisers might have done best doesn't mean they are the best, same going with just because you can't fly one doesn't mean it sucks.

Nothing wrong with his sig at all, there are people who ask if the EPS helps with weapon power regen which it doesn't, I know when I started the game I was giving incorrect advice about EPS'.

I was told it was a must have console by my friend, and for months I used it till I finally learned different.
Here's a parse of my Fleet Excelsior using an aux2batt build a few days ago: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=15nnig8&s=5 using mk XII [Acc]x3 Disruptor beams

Here's a parse of my Fleet Qin Raptor: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=28k1xc5&s=5 using Fleet Disruptor DHCs...

First time I had personally really considered comparing them... The Qin isn't ideal, because it has a wasted ensign boff slot for a cannon build, but so does the Defiant which is popular so kind of the same in that respect... Anyway, food for thought... Would love to see a parser log for a 15k cruiser...

*T'tays/Kohross are mine
Career Officer
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 546
# 28
05-04-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
I'd say don't fly a cruiser. Of any sort. Yeah, they have more survivability. But their turn rate is so slow. And they tend to have to use beams. It's just bad all around. Stick with your science ship.
Ah, fleet excelsior and fleet assault cruiser work really well with single cannons.

Their turn rates are good enough for it. Especially the excelsior. Although, I like the Fleet assault cruiser for its boff layout and hence, you can slot a torp their if that is your thing without it affecting the lt cmdr boff station.

EDIT: Here is a showcase on the Excelsior: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXaFldQl6I

I really love this ship and always go back to it. The looks have grown on me because of its excellent performance. As for the Fleet Assault, I think I finally have a decent build with it and am getting liking it more and more. Though, as many have stated, you need a tier 5. I only obtained mine two weeks ago. The showcase shows both an Excel beam boat and an Excel cannon build and gives you step by steps on how to make said ships. Worth a look.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)

Last edited by bugspatteredjack; 05-04-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 153
# 29
05-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by handsmahoney View Post
I currently fly a wells-class on my main, who is a science captain. I've had an urge for the longest time to get my grubby mitts on a fleet star cruiser, because I'm looking for a little bit more tank. I'm pretty poor at tanking and mitigating damage in my wells. Granted, I tend to fly it more like a tac boat instead of a science vessel, but I was wondering if the fleet star cruiser would benefit me for survivability.
As many people in this thread have stated, a Fleet Star Cruiser will not provide as much DPS as can be had with more Tactically-orientated Fleet Cruisers (or even the C-store Odysseys). However, if you're looking for a well-rounded tanking Cruiser, the Fleet Star Cruiser is an excellent choice. The other two tankiest Fed Crusiers around are probably the Science Odyssey and Fleet Exploration Retrofit; however, they are both slower than the Fleet Star Cruiser. I've recently bought one of the latter recently and I've quite enjoyed it so far.

There are some comments about the Nebula-class; I have a Fleet Nebula (Fleet Advanced Research Science Vessel Retrofit) for my Fed Sci toon and it's a blast. The BOff slots offer a wide range of Eng/Sci combinations (Eject Warp Plamsa plus Gravity Well = excellent PvE crowd control) and in terms of raw stats, it's the toughest "pure" Science Vessel out there. Slightly slower turning as a result, but still very versatile.
In the grim darkness of Star Trek Online, there is only war.
We asked for a competitive Fleet Galaxy, and they gave us something that missed the mark.
On top of that, the Gal-X model still has very obvious bugs.
Say NO to Arc!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:59 AM.