Empire Veteran
# 131
05-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
And yes, I do agree that taking a Mass Effect approach in a game that isn't Mass Effect is not really suitable.

I've often wondered how any mmo can claim to be an mmorpg.

I've never seen an mmo that offered you choices and changed the story based on the way you treat others and the decisions you make.
I tend to agree it is not good to change the approach in mid-stream. This has killed other games. I want to play the content before I final judge it obviously, but I guess I'll have to wait.

As to the RPG in MMORPG, I don't think it is every really possible to make a game like Neverwinter Nights (not the Cryptic Neverwinter) or Mass Effect style single player RPG in an MMO. People are willing to put up with different things when they can just reload a saved file.
- Formerly Varrangian
Starfleet Veteran
# 132
05-04-2013, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by direphoenix View Post
UPDATE: These are everyone's starting BOffs (on the Romulan faction):
  • Tovan Khev: Romulan Male Tactical BOff. Fixed appearance, fixed name.
    • story: outlined in the devblog
  • Veril: Reman Female Engineering BOff. Fixed Appearance. Can change name.
    • story: you rescue her from a Reman colony that gets attacked by Tal Shiar. Her father goes missing/dies in the attack and joins your crew
  • Setra: Romulan Female Science BOff. Fixed Appearance. Can change name.
    • story: rescued from Suliban Helix, where she was hiding from the Tal Shiar with a group of refugees.
  • Hiven: Romulan Male Science BOff. Fixed Appearance. Can change name.
    • story: You bust him out of jail (he was in there for accusing a guard of being Tal Shiar), and now he's looking for revenge for the death of his brother.

The BOffs that Romulans get afterward (at least so far) are received the same way as BOffs are currently received for the FED and KDF, and you can change their appearance and names.
updated story summaries for Hiven and Setra

Raptr profile
Career Officer
# 133 A full squad of fixed BOFFs?
05-04-2013, 02:09 AM
Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Let's be clear, I'm a Legacy Account Holder with 1000 day veteran.

This means I start off the game with 3 seperate BOFFs (Borg Engineer, Photonic Sci and Android Engineer).
And two of those are fully customizable!

So explain to me why I would subsitute an uneditable BOFF for any of those officers?

And seriously, why would I want to edit the name?
It's the appearance I'm interested in changing, so they don't look like every other copy of those BOFFs!

And yes, I have preplanned my BOFF backstory and layout.
It would take me to up around the BOFF limit.
That's counting the other special BOFFs you acquire via gameplay.

Now we're adding 4 extra BOFFs to that list?

Excuse me for being cynical, but I'm thinking this is really a trick to sell BOFF slots on C-Store.

Last edited by tilarta; 05-04-2013 at 02:13 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 134
05-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post

Excuse me for being cynical, but I'm thinking this is really a trick to sell BOFF slots on C-Store.
I had that thought too... Like I said I know that data from customization is an issue for them, so this means that people who don't care about BO's will probably not bother replacing them and those that do will probably end up buying more slots.
- Formerly Varrangian
Ensign
# 135 My Two ECs about Tovan...
05-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Before I go on my short message, I personally think that Tovan Khev is a welcome addition to the STO universe and Cryptic should be applauded for making the Romulan story a little more personal than "fly-here-because-Admiral-told-you-so"-style storytelling.

That said, though, the one reason why I joined STO is because I was entranced by the amount of customization options there were available for your appearance, ship, and crew. I wanted to make my own identity within the game by creating my own personal file with all its numerous customizations.

While I welcome Tovan for the sake of storytelling, I implore Cryptic to let players have the option of letting the character go after the main Romulan storyline is finished so an element of customization within STO can be restored and enable players to create their own identity once again within the Romulan faction - appearance, ship, and crew.

Those are my two ECs about this character. Feel free to post up compliments or complaints to such a comment.
Empire Veteran
# 136
05-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by procsquad View Post
While I welcome Tovan for the sake of storytelling, I implore Cryptic to let players have the option of letting the character go after the main Romulan storyline is finished so an element of customization within STO can be restored and enable players to create their own identity once again within the Romulan faction - appearance, ship, and crew.

Those are my two ECs about this character. Feel free to post up compliments or complaints to such a comment.
I think this would make most people happy. I understand that these characters are needed for story, but give me the option to get rid of them later if I so choose. It's their story I play through, so later when I have played it give me the choice to play mine.
- Formerly Varrangian
Career Officer
# 137
05-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Personally, I'm delighted by the way one recruits the BOs in the Romulan storyline and I'm perfectly happy to adjust my pre-planned RPG stuff to adjust to that.

However, I'm still figuring out how to work around the fact that when I roll a second Republican char, there'll be a Tovan Khev clone aboard. Hm, clone? Not a bad idea. Or mirror universe Counterpart.. Problem solved!
Leipzig University, 1409-2409
Ensign
# 138
05-14-2013, 10:55 PM
Tovan Kev seems a bit Malcom Reynolds-like to me. Actually some of the story elements in the Romulan Republic arc I've seen so far have similarities to Serenity/Firefly with a mix of "War Of THe Worlds".

Especially the aliens that kidnap people from outlying colonies, while the strong centralized (evil) government denies the existance of such aliens but are ultimately responsible for why the aliens are kidnapping people from the outlying colonies.

Not to mention the way you meet your first group of bridge officers.