Captain
# 11
03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Ummm the deflector is a sensor antennae silly man. SIF is your standard issue Structural Integrity Field that keeps all those unglued and improperly welded pieces of your ship from falling off and getting pulled into the nearest gravity well, but I'll assume that it also doesn't keep non-structural items bound in it's field (like dust,ash, soot, and other free-floating space objects). Besides, canon proved walls on starships are optional as forcefields are enough to contain a breathable atmosphere so perhaps the SIF field also contains an inverse that keeps the corrosives out of the seams and welds of the ships skin.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
Captain
# 12
03-15-2013, 04:36 AM
yea, that'd be the navigation shields & deflector screens ''silly man''.

the sif is just that. a deus ex way to grant structural strength beyond simple material strength, it has nothing to do with 'deflecting' anything.
Cryptic.
Figure out and address the players path of least resistance to reward. this one thing is THE consistent factor undermining all your efforts. be that crafting, raids or starbase projects.
Captain
# 13
03-15-2013, 08:30 PM
SIF keeps the ship from flopping around like a half inflated balloon, it has nothing to do with the exterior of the ship at all.
Supposedly the exterior coatings on the hull are ablative, ie meant to wear off, the ship doesn't operate with it's shields up all the time and no sane captain is going to detail crewman to scrub and paint the hull for minor nicks and scratches that have no bearing on ship performance other than appearances, so I could see microparticle scoring, weapon scorching, exhaust streaking around thrusters and vents and a ton of other things that could "age" and "weather" the ship to give it the look of a working machine in the middle of it's service life.
That said to have this look would require the graphic artists to create a custom skin for every player ship in the game to make it viable as even a purchasable option and that would be no small undertaking.

Last edited by maxvitor; 03-15-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Captain
# 14
03-15-2013, 09:39 PM
The injury system could be revamped so various injuries cause visible effects on your ship.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg
Survivor of Romulus
# 15
03-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I would rather see Battle damage pop up like as your hull goes down it shows the battle damage...i would love to see it as a on/off feature instead of it vanishing when we heal.

pretty much as what centersolace is saying, except without all the stacking injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Ensign
# 16
05-05-2013, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing pitting, scarring, and general fouling of the hull show up gradually over time. Like when you first get the ship, it's shinny and new looking, but as you play over the course of a few days or so, the hull starts to get more and more grungy and damaged looking, and the only way to get it looking new again is to repair it. Maybe go to Jupiter Station for a wash and a wax.

I also think that if your ship takes injuries, there should be corresponding visible damage to the ship until its repaired. If you had a couple of critical injuries, how cool would it be to see your ship limping along with a nacelle blown off? And a giant hole clear through the saucer section?
Lieutenant
# 17
05-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doffingcomrade View Post
I don't think ships can actually rust in space. There's no oxygen to combine with to get rust. And there are already damage skins that result when your ship gets shot up and hull goes down. Unfortunately, due to the sheer amount of yoyo-healing in the game, you will either quickly heal back to 100% health, or just as quickly die, so this effect is rarely seen outside of low-level play.
There's plenty of bad stuff in space that can cause damage. At the least, I'd expect the paint to flake or wear off, revealing grey hull material underneath, and yellowing or fading from constant extreme sun exposure.

Last edited by pyrophile; 05-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Captain
# 18
05-07-2013, 01:52 AM
The only way i would agree with this concept is if it is tied in with the damage you get from doing elite and is removed when you do the repairs or as a choice to add scaring when you cutomize. For myself i do not want my ship looking like a badly maintained garbage truck and I do not want to spend money or time to fix a cosmetic just because someone thinks it would look cool to have scars on a ship. Once I am done customizing my ships look I do not ever want to have to maintain that.
Captain
# 19
05-07-2013, 04:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynder2012 View Post
I would rather see Battle damage pop up like as your hull goes down it shows the battle damage...i would love to see it as a on/off feature instead of it vanishing when we heal.

pretty much as what centersolace is saying, except without all the stacking injuries

This. I would be happy to just use the damage skins we already see, but they remain after a battle until we go to a starbase and fix it (use the guy who fixes our ship injuries?). But obviously have this as a toggle feature so those who dont want to fly around like that can keep their ships shiny after a fight.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Commander
# 20
05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpell View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing pitting, scarring, and general fouling of the hull show up gradually over time. Like when you first get the ship, it's shinny and new looking, but as you play over the course of a few days or so, the hull starts to get more and more grungy and damaged looking, and the only way to get it looking new again is to repair it. Maybe go to Jupiter Station for a wash and a wax.

I also think that if your ship takes injuries, there should be corresponding visible damage to the ship until its repaired. If you had a couple of critical injuries, how cool would it be to see your ship limping along with a nacelle blown off? And a giant hole clear through the saucer section?
Lol, then EVERYONE would know that you were just in a tough scrape!