Republic Veteran
Launcher is up for patching! Server remains down until 12PM PDT (US). Today's patch weighs in at 10GB but I only needed to download 1167KB after doing the items mentioned below. It only took my computer two minutes to patch (full disclosure, I have Windows and STO installed on an SSD. So your times may vary.). But keeping Tribble up to date and Pre-patching works.

The launch of Legacy of Romulus is fast approaching (May 21). Along with new UI, a new faction, and a (more) fleshed out KDF, the launch of the expansion also brings some things that players should be prepared for. Despite the testing on Tribble, nothing on Tribble can replicate the load Holodeck sees. So I offer these tips to make the process to Legacy of Romulus a less painful one.

This actually serves two purposes:
One, the more testers, the more data. This allows the devs to find bugs and squash them.
Two, this allows you to get the needed files to make Legacy of Romulus happen. Rather than downloading all of the files, the launcher will actually mirror those already on your computer. This makes the download time almost non-existent as the files are already on your computer. This saves a lot of time. Just be sure to log in and patch it before May 21. Even if you do not have access to the Legacy of Romulus beta, the files are still there.

Pre-Patch
Now that pre-patching is turned on, log all the way into STO and then log off. This will start the pre-patch process. What this does is download all of the files needed for Legacy of Romulus allowing the game to patch once it goes live without having to download many files on May 21. This isn't perfect as many files will not be completely up to date as compared to tribble. But this is still a huge time saver as the game does the download when, obviously, you are no longer wanting to play.

Otherwise, Be Patient
You and everybody else is trying to get on the game at the same time. If you haven't done the previous two items, your download time on May 21 will take a while. In terms of files needed, this is almost a brand new game being installed. Even with Tribble not being slammed it still took me about an hour to patch it the other night on a ~20Mbps download. Get your files before May 21 or you may still be downloading May 22.

Go Gold
A huge perk of being a Gold Subscriber is the ability to have our own queue (on Holodeck; there is no priority log in on Tribble). We get to go to the front of the line when the queue is activated. And with all the incoming new content, there will almost certainly be a queue. While Cryptic has added to their server capacity since launch, we had queues not that long ago. Expect them for this. (Also, being a Gold Member while leveling a new character has some great benefits -- check out the F2P matrix here.)

Prepare for Downtime
Right now, the game is on a weekly update schedule. That will return at some point after the expansion launches, but be prepared for almost daily updates for the first couple weeks. As mentioned, nothing beats just throwing the game on Holodeck. Some bugs can only be found when the system is being played live. While Cryptic is good about giving us a few hours warning, some bugs may need no notice.

I have been through every Season upgrade. I know how the process will work and these tips have made life easier for many of us. And while the game may seem unstable the first couple days and the patching feels excessive, everything will be back to normal before you even realize it.

Conclusion
May 21 will bring a new adventure for all of us. The idea that STO would still be around in 2013 was far-fetched for some people, much less that it would be adding a third faction. These are exciting times, just keep your expectations in check concerning the update schedule and you will be fine.

------post above is commadorebob's---

/stamp_of_approval. Stickied! -Brandon
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.

Last edited by commadorebob; 05-21-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
hmm im going to copy this n send it as a fleet mail great info here that i did no know about
Welcome to bugs online were we only fix the bugs you like, and will ignore the ones you hate.
These are the voyages of the USS Farmville. Her 5 year mission is to boldly farm where no one has farmed before.
Say No to ARK
Career Officer
# 3
05-06-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
The launch of Legacy of Romulus is fast approaching. Along with new UI, a new faction, and a (more) fleshed out KDF, the launch of the expansion also brings some things that players should be prepared for. Despite the testing on Tribble, nothing on Tribble can replicate the load Holodeck sees. So I offer these tips to make the process to Legacy of Romulus a less painful one.

This actually serves two purposes:
One, the more testers, the more data. This allows the devs to find bugs and squash them.
Two, this allows you to get the needed files to make Legacy of Romulus happen. Rather than downloading all of the files, the launcher will actually mirror those already on your computer. This makes the download time almost non-existent as the files are already on your computer. This saves a lot of space. Just be sure to log in and patch it before May 21. Even if you do not have access to the LoR beta, the files are still there.
Yeah, very helpful... but only to those who have LoR beta.
im sure the rest of us will stumble around without a clue until then regardless if we get tribble or not. there has only been 1 round of beta testing and from the looks of it and the rest has been abandoned to the vultures for now.

until there is an official line on when and how long LoR is open beta on tribble, it remains to be seen how many can get their feedback in to help with the preparation of the launch.

Quote:
Pre-Patch
Once pre-patching is turned on, log all the way into STO and then log off. This will start the pre-patch process. What this does is download all of the files needed for Legacy of Romulus allowing the game to patch once it goes live without having to download many files on May 21. This isn't perfect as many files will not be completely up to date as compared to tribble. But this is still a huge time saver as the game does the download when, obviously, you are no longer wanting to play.
you are better off saving a lot of hassle, time and interestngly reliability by downloading the whole lot by disabling on demand patching in the options. so you loose a few hours, but knowing the enviable server instability anyway on launch, what difference would it make by doing it then or later on, in the end it still has to be downloaded anyway.

Quote:
Otherwise, Be Patient
You and everybody else is trying to get on the game at the same time. If you haven?t done the previous two items, your download time on May 21 will take a while. In terms of files needed, this is almost a brand new game being installed. Even with Tribble not being slammed it still took me about an hour to patch it the other night on a ~20Mbps download. Get your files before May 21 or you may still be downloading May 22.
so your looking at 15gb of game files, for 670kb p/s at full speed for about 8 hours it can be done on my end. again like point two, it would be better off taking your time then rushing it.

Quote:
Go Gold
A huge perk of being a Gold Subscriber is the ability to have our own queue. We get to go to the front of the line when the queue is activated. And with all the incoming new content, there will almost certainly be a queue. While Cryptic has added to their server capacity since launch, we had queues not that long ago. Expect them for this.
i just wonder how many other free players will have to be kicked out for your fun, yeah a real big plus... not. but the system is the way it is so i will fail to continue that point since it wont change anything.

Quote:
Prepare for Downtime
Right now, the game is on a weekly update schedule. That will return at some point after the expansion launches, but be prepared for almost daily updates for the first couple weeks. As mentioned, nothing beats just throwing the game on Holodeck. Some bugs can only be found when the system is being played live. While Cryptic is good about giving us a few hours warning, some bugs may need no notice.
i doubt it will be that hectic having patches every 1 or 2 days, it would be counter productive barring a critical issue that needs an immediate patch, but i wont dispute that. cryptic has been willing to allow big bugs to float on past for years before they did anything about it. so maybe 2 or 3 times in the first week but that would probably be it.

Quote:
I have been through every Season upgrade. I know how the process will work and these tips have made life easier for many of us. And while the game may seem unstable the first couple days and the patching feels excessive, everything will be back to normal before you even realize it.
perhaps, perhaps not as there are many variables to that ideal outlook. one can never be too sure on what to expect from anything.

Quote:
Conclusion
May 21 will bring a new adventure for all of us. The idea that STO would still be around in 2013 was far-fetched for some people, much less that it would be adding a third faction. These are exciting times, just keep your expectations in check concerning the update schedule and you will be fine.
i suspect the game will be around until 2016 thats for sure, i mean branflakes has basically given the game a face, the whole thing is a bit more tolerable in a strange way, its a bit more open then it was in 2011 for sure but i still sense a lot of holding back even so. its not like eaware on swtor, they are sucking that game dry and i cant see that making 2015 but it seems PWE hasnt given up on this game.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.

Last edited by mirrorchaos; 05-06-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Republic Veteran
# 4
05-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Don't forget:Gather some DOFFs for your Romulans and put a Stack of Colonists aside
Then wait... with Romulan Ale!
Career Officer
# 5
05-06-2013, 08:43 AM
I'd rather just not log in at all, except for the usual daily doff rounds. Knowing Cryptic's track record for major content launches, I wouldn't rush into it. Give it a few days, or a week, for the rush to die down and for them to work out all the kinks. There's definitely going to be downtime and lag, LOTS of it. And if you're one of those that want "the perfect experience" playing as a Romulan, you'll be frustrated to no end.
@HyperLimited
Captain
# 6
05-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
Yeah, very helpful... but only to those who have LoR beta.
im sure the rest of us will stumble around without a clue until then regardless if we get tribble or not. there has only been 1 round of beta testing and from the looks of it and the rest has been abandoned to the vultures for now.
Tribble only works off of one set of files. There's numerous tweaks to stuff Fed and KDF-side, even if you don't have access to Romulans, but even without having Romulan creation unlocked, by keeping Tribble up to date, you'll have the Romulan files downloaded and ready for when it's your turn.
Republic Veteran
# 7
05-06-2013, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypl View Post
I'd rather just not log in at all, except for the usual daily doff rounds. Knowing Cryptic's track record for major content launches, I wouldn't rush into it. Give it a few days, or a week, for the rush to die down and for them to work out all the kinks. There's definitely going to be downtime and lag, LOTS of it. And if you're one of those that want "the perfect experience" playing as a Romulan, you'll be frustrated to no end.
Could be worse, another space MMO deleted boot.ini with a patch (guess they did that to reduce the login queue/lag).
Cryptic Studios Team
# 8
05-06-2013, 09:09 AM
*See Signature*
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 9
05-06-2013, 09:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
*See Signature*
Ahh! Taco, where is your TOWEL?!
Lt. Commander
# 10
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
I was hoping for something of content like HURRY STOCK UP ON CONSOLES CAUSE EVERYONES GOING TO BE GETTING THOLIAN REPPPPPPP.

The circle of foruming continues. Someone copy pasts the generic statement of this will happen, this wont happen, the people who are going to complain will still complain, the people who want to point out how useless it is will still continue to point it out.

:/