Commander
# 11
05-08-2013, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Probably because if you watched **** My Dad Says, you'd see that sometimes he drops the ball?

Well, I didn't say he always does a great job. But when the man puts his heart into it he rocks it.
Captain
# 12
05-08-2013, 02:42 AM
I thought he was the best part of **** my dad says. The only one that got me regularly laughing.

Ultimately, Shatner's acting in TOS was a product of the times. Lots of shows on tv in the 60's were a bit campy. Look at Adam West's Batman, and compare it stuff he does today. By the time the movies came around, thigns had become a bit more serious and he was able to show that off better.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Career Officer
# 14
05-08-2013, 07:31 AM
To talk like him you have just.....GOT TO.................put a lot of.................SPACES IN BETWEEN loud............WORDS..............then you.................HAVE.................the talk nailed.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Non stop crashing and epic lagging are helpful in telling me it's time for bed or to go outside and get a life.
Career Officer
# 15
05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I think he's a lot hit'n miss.

He can be completely over the top (ever watched the 6 Million Dollar Man episode"Burning Bright"?).
But he can be just as subtle on other occasions, like when he talks to Carol Marcus about feeling old.

Sometimes he's incredible and other times he's just...strange.

To me it feels like it depends very much on the material and the director.
With the right director (Meyer, Nimoy) he was great as Kirk.
With the wrong director (like himself) he was...a guy that tried to climb a mountain.
Captain
# 16
05-08-2013, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I think he's a lot hit'n miss.

He can be completely over the top (ever watched the 6 Million Dollar Man episode"Burning Bright"?).
But he can be just as subtle on other occasions, like when he talks to Carol Marcus about feeling old.

Sometimes he's incredible and other times he's just...strange.

To me it feels like it depends very much on the material and the director.
With the right director (Meyer, Nimoy) he was great as Kirk.
With the wrong director (like himself) he was...a guy that tried to climb a mountain.
I liked him doing Fiddler on the Roof
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.
Career Officer
# 17
05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzh View Post
I liked him doing Fiddler on the Roof
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CwZgb_iAI

"And when I speak I never ever talk like ever.word.is.its.own.sentece."
Empire Veteran
# 18
05-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
funny thing, from what i knew of the man during the 60's, 70's and 80's is that he never cared for star trek and im also certain he never watched trek. the thing that appealed to him was not the shows but rather the money. so if cryptic wanted the voice of kirk, the price alone would bankrupt the game to get him onboard for a day.
I think this is a misperception. I used to agree with you, but recently I saw something that changed my mind. I was watching a panel discussion that Shatner was on, and someone asked him about Denny Crane, the character he played on Boston Legal. Shatner basically blew off the question and said that that job's over.

I think he really just sees himself as an actor, and he sees Star Trek, and TJ Hooker, and Boston Legal, and all the other stuff he's done as just jobs. So he's excited about whatever he's doing right now, at any given time, and he probably has some good stories from things that happened while he was working past jobs, but he isn't all wrapped up in those old jobs on a day to day basis. The same way you or I probably don't spend a lot of time thinking about old jobs we had on any given day. We're involved in what we're doing now.

Career Officer
# 19
05-08-2013, 11:37 PM
The people that say Shatner "can't act", or that he overacts, or make fun of his sometimes staccato delivery, are usually the same people that say the Kirk character (from TOS) always "shot first and asked questions later" and did nothing but bang chicks. Neither is the case.

I'm not saying he was a great actor in every episode, and I can laugh at what has now become the Seth McFarland-branded parody of him as much as the next guy, but these generalizations of him are unfair.

To his credit though, over the years Bill Shatner, the man, has mellowed and relaxed, and yes now he does not take himself seriously. He knows he's a parody of himself, and he's embraced it. He's in on the joke. It's the wisdom of age, and I can tell he's a happy fellow enjoying every minute of it.

When I was young I liked Shatner because of the character he played. Now I like him even more for the man he has become. The fact that he's still energetic and active at his age, while still poking fun at himself, is a wonderful thing to see.
Captain
# 20
05-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
The people that say Shatner "can't act", or that he overacts, or make fun of his sometimes staccato delivery, are usually the same people that say the Kirk character (from TOS) always "shot first and asked questions later" and did nothing but bang chicks. Neither is the case.
Well to be fair he did kinda. TOS.
KDF Future with Cryptic. Fact.

What Cryptic should consider before releasing anything.