Starfleet Veteran
# 11
05-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Loved reading this! And reading it has actually gotten me thinking about making a Gorn character, now that I know more about them.

Thanks for putting this up!
My Fan Fictions
Survivor of Remus
# 12
05-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Well done! I always thought the Gorn would be an interesting race to explore in the various Trek series, but the costuming would probably be pretty expensive and TV-grade CG doesn't really seamlessly blend in with live-action yet, ya know?
Career Officer
# 13
05-08-2013, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
Loved reading this! And reading it has actually gotten me thinking about making a Gorn character, now that I know more about them.

Thanks for putting this up!
You're very welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatsauce View Post
Well done! I always thought the Gorn would be an interesting race to explore in the various Trek series, but the costuming would probably be pretty expensive and TV-grade CG doesn't really seamlessly blend in with live-action yet, ya know?
Yeah, the original Gorn in "Arena" looked more-or-less like what people expected from special effects of the day, but the Gorn that showed up in ENT: "In a Mirror Darkly" was laughed of the screen by an audience used to the likes of "Jurassic Park," "Aliens" and "The Lord of the Rings." Trying to make real characters out of them in DS9 era would have been basically impossible.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Rihannsu
# 14
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artan42 View Post
That's not football, there is too many players .
But it's GORN football. :p

Anyways, MOST races seen in TOS were only seen once.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Career Officer
# 15
05-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Nicely done.
Ensign
# 16
05-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I need to play -all- the Gorn, now.
Commander
# 17
05-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Excellent resource, and coding it for degrees of canonicity is much appreciated.
Survivor of Romulus
# 18
05-15-2013, 12:29 AM
That's a nice chunk of info, good job.

*Must make it out of thread before urge to make Gorn joke overwhelmes.*
Career Officer
# 19
05-15-2013, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmudd View Post
Excellent resource, and coding it for degrees of canonicity is much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idrona View Post
That's a nice chunk of info, good job.
Your appreciation is appreciated!

Quote:
*Must make it out of thread before urge to make Gorn joke overwhelmes.*
Oh, Gorn right ahead.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Lieutenant
# 20 One forgotten fact
05-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Sander233, awesome post.
Thanks for taking all of this info from all of these sources and putting them in one place.

However there is one fact about the Gorn Hegemony that gets overlooked, that it is a Hegemony.

There are several ways to use the term hegemony, but a cultural hegemony is a system where one ruling group (the hegemon) dominates the other groups culturally. They do this by setting / manipulating the beliefs, norms and values of the others so that the hegemon's worldview becomes everyone's worldview. Sort of like the way Western powers tried to supplant native cultures in North America, Africa... etc. during the 18th & 19th centuries.

So if Gorn society uses a strictly hegemonic system we can imply some interesting things:
  • Whichever group is dominate will set the culture for all of the Gorn. No doubt the monarch rules the dominate group.
  • Gorn space could potentially be a series of worlds that are officially independent but who all follow the monarch for cultural rather than political reasons.
  • A group of Gorn would be super zealous about protecting & controlling their turf from the other groups since both their culture and their independence are at risk.
  • Any species the Gorn dominate would probably keep their native government but would be expected to adopt Gorn culture.
  • Whoever conquers the Gorn (i.e. the Klingon Empire) and becomes the new dominate group will find many Gorn quickly, if not happily, adopt the victor's cultural values. This would help explain why conquered people are serving as "Klingon warriors" so soon after their conquest.

Just some thoughts and ruminations.

Last edited by aliendejour; 05-17-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity