Captain
# 21
05-10-2013, 10:06 AM
I wonder if Shatner's delivery may be a method of coping with a stammer... Haven't ever seen him in Boston Legal to compare his delivery, but when I saw him on American Pickers (Damn I feel ashamed to have watched such tripe ) there was something decidedly deliberate about his speech... Who knows
Commander
# 22
05-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I wonder if Shatner's delivery may be a method of coping with a stammer... Haven't ever seen him in Boston Legal to compare his delivery, but when I saw him on American Pickers (Damn I feel ashamed to have watched such tripe ) there was something decidedly deliberate about his speech... Who knows
I've wondered if the fact that he had tinnitus had anything to do with his cadence.
Captain
# 23
05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan View Post
I've wondered if the fact that he had tinnitus had anything to do with his cadence.
I didn't know he had tinnitus, but that would certainly make sense...
Commander
# 24
05-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I didn't know he had tinnitus, but that would certainly make sense...
Yeah, he definitely had it. I'm not sure if this next part is fact or urban legend, but I've heard that it started when he stood too close to an FX explosion during the filming of the episode where he fought the Gorn ("Arena").
Rihannsu
# 25
05-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Its not that he cant act, just that his acting does not always jibe with the style of the scene.
New home of the Romulan Republic.
I have an idea for what Season 9 should be; Season 9: The Big Bug Fix
Captain
# 26
05-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyvulcan View Post
Yeah, he definitely had it. I'm not sure if this next part is fact or urban legend, but I've heard that it started when he stood too close to an FX explosion during the filming of the episode where he fought the Gorn ("Arena").
Certainly plausible, I remember hearing (lol) that Ronald Reagan had hearing damage due to a revolver getting let off near his ear on set
Captain
# 27
05-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Just looked it up. Shat has two versions - in one, it was an explosion on the set of the episode "Arena", in the other it was on the set of one of the movies - but either way, he does have tinnitus, but his acting has actually improved markedly since the old days on TOS, so it's not to blame.

(He does, however, mention having been driven to suicidal thoughts by the unstoppable noise, something with which I can definitely sympathize...)
-------------------------------------------

"You're as crazy as the people on Twitter!" - Samuel L. Jackson
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM
To those that think and say that Shatner can't act. Go to a mirror and try screaming"KHAN" like he did in Wrath of Kahn. If you look like anything other than a totally ridiculous douche, then could be the greatest actor of all time.

I guarantee you wont do it better that Shatner though.

Help rebuild the Romulan Star Empire to glory. Click the banner to join today.

Rihannsu
# 29
05-10-2013, 01:59 PM
I heard one story, pretty sure it was an interview, but I can't remember which one, where he talks about the... whole... chewing... the... scenery. And it was basically that he was on a job (not trek I think) where they wanted him to put something into the role, and that's what he went with, and they liked it, so he just kept doing it.

But yeah, he was good in 2, and I'd say 4 and 6 as well. Generations, not so much. 5, yeah, no way, but I think about half way in, everyone on that movie just threw up their hands. 3 kinda broke the curse, IMHO, he was kinda okay in that.
Joined September 2011
Nouveau riche LTS member
Captain
# 30
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I've never had beef with Shatner's acting. I was watching a ToS episode today ( I forget the title, but it's the one where they rapidly age, except for Chekov) and thought he played the part fantastically (I also really liked how the Commodore didn't really want to have command, and wasn't trying to pull rank, but simply wanted to 'get things done' by the book) It was some of the pauses which made me wonder if Shatner might have been compensating for a stammer, although I wouldnt've thought of that had I not seen The King's Speech...