Ensign
# 21
05-07-2013, 01:19 AM
How about just opening Romulan Characters to anyone on Tribble server?

This is getting damn annoying!

Sure feels like a "bait and switch" scheme.

Got a notice via e-mail for creating a new KDF... I don't want a NEW KDF Character as I already have 3 already.

How about a NEW Romulan Character selection instead on the Tribble Server?

Gee whiz... Then while looking at the New Character screen in Tribble Server the damn server crashes along with the http://www.startrekonline.com/ web site.

Republic Veteran
# 22
05-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz71 View Post
to the OP, thank you for your time and experience writing this post
You're welcome. Having been through seven if these you start to sense a pattern.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Rihannsu
# 23
05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
I just plan to avoid the first day. that will be rough. expect tons of lag as everyone logs onto the same location at the same time and probably a crash. if you have no pressing desire to play on launch day then just do yourself (and the people who do) a favour and give day 1 a miss.

after than try to limit yourself to the quiet times for your location (morning for me) and then after a week, things should be back to normal.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 24
05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
I plan to get. Drunk while waiting on. The server to let me in ......
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Career Officer
# 25
05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Another tip is to have some Zen and don't spend it lol I don't know anyone who will be playing who doesn't want a Romulan Warbird from TNG.
Career Officer
# 26
05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy1 View Post
Ahh! Taco, where is your TOWEL?!
"You sass that hoopy Tacofangs? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is."
Career Officer
# 27
05-10-2013, 11:46 AM
Great post, and honestly I love the emphasize on the fact that where STO is today is far beyond imagination of some people. I think that this game not only consolidates the global fanbase of Star Trek, but it also creates new fans every day.

I love this game, and even though my love for sci-fi started with Star Wars (which is still close to my heart), I found my true nerd home in Star Trek. Star Trek Online makes it possible to immerse myself in this world, and for this - I thank you!

As a lifetime supporter I decided to buy the Legacy Pack, because I once supported STO and it did not dissapoint. Now it was time to once again fulfill the obligation of supporting STO, and getting all these awesome things in exchange (title "Rihannsu" being the sexiest of them ). I did it with pleasure.

My Romulan (or Reman?) will most certainly side with Klingon faction (many reasons lore-wise, but also because I never really played that side), and I hope to see many of you over the mug of bloodwine, and the rest on the battlefield.

Jolan tru, my friends.
Survivor of Remus
# 28
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post

Pre-Patch
Once pre-patching is turned on, log all the way into STO and then log off. This will start the pre-patch process. What this does is download all of the files needed for Legacy of Romulus allowing the game to patch once it goes live without having to download many files on May 21. This isn't perfect as many files will not be completely up to date as compared to tribble. But this is still a huge time saver as the game does the download when, obviously, you are no longer wanting to play.

Otherwise, Be Patient
You and everybody else is trying to get on the game at the same time. If you haven't done the previous two items, your download time on May 21 will take a while. In terms of files needed, this is almost a brand new game being installed. Even with Tribble not being slammed it still took me about an hour to patch it the other night on a ~20Mbps download. Get your files before May 21 or you may still be downloading May 22.
Please explain. How exactly does someone prepatch? and What do you mean by "get your files before May 21" - how does one do this?

Last edited by dem613; 05-10-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Career Officer
# 29
05-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem613 View Post
Please explain. How exactly does someone prepatch? and What do you mean by "get your files before May 21" - how does one do this?
If I'm not mistaken it means that you should go to the Tribble and download the test files, as they will make your download on may 21st, when the actual RoR hits the Holodeck, much faster.

But I could be wrong on that .
Republic Veteran
# 30
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem613 View Post
Prepatching will turn on probably the week before. The devs will make an announcement when they turn it on. My suggestion is to log into the game on May 18. Log all the way into the character select screen. Then exit the game. The prepatch will start by itself.

How this and Tribble work is by mirroring the files off your hard drive. You are essentially downloading the install files before they game can use them. But that saves you by not having to download them when 620,618 other people are also trying to download them.

In any case, the prepatch is turned on by the devs. You need to do nothing other than log on the day they announce it.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.