Captain
# 21
05-09-2013, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulberat View Post
I see...I had taken it to be a private thing, to demonstrate to Ch'K'rr why continuing relations with the Federation would be a good thing (and this in spite of the rough start she got off to with Marcus Kane when she was little).

I am really unsure of Alyosha being in such a public situation. I mean, by then he would be used to the attention that a high-ranking officer receives, but I am really just unsure how he'd take such an order from Starfleet Command if ordered to reveal himself publicly in that manner.
I have to admit, I didn't think it would be an assignment he would relish, but for some reason, I just had the strongest impression of him having to reduce his visual impact because of Pentaxia's suns, and figured a diplomatic mission like that might have been something he was asked to do by Quinn if at some point his true origin was to become more 'public knowledge'. I certainly don't see Quinn ordering him to do it.

To be fair to Ch'K'rr, her initial 'meeting' with Marcus did not come at the best of times for her, or under the best circumstances, but as she grew up, the lessons from her tutors would have caused her to re-evaluate her attitudes and opinion on isolationism.

Quote:
Any of those things are quite possible. I doubt I will reveal anything, though, because the Devidians are SO unknown.
Totally understand where you're coming from, it would be all to easy to create a huge foundation for the Devidians, only to have Cryptic cut it out from under your writing with a future mission... I think by keeping what is revealed about Devidians to be what Alyosha knows about himself (in addition to what is revealed) that keeps it from over-stepping that boundary

Quote:
Hmm...interesting possibility!
From what I've gathered from the posts of others, it just seems like 'Drake' is some kind of holoimage which an unknown agent hides behind, and if that is the case, what is to stop countless agents using the same holoimage... My personal theory, is that Section 31 captured a Dominion cloning facility used to create Vorta, but simply re-programmed the agnates in the facility to follow the template of the original Franklin Drake, rather than Vorta profiles... Given the premise set up at the end of the entry, I could see Siri killing Drake to escape his plans to use her genetic profile to enhance any planned augment platoons, but I don't want to write the death of an STO character which would simply be ignored by the game Oh well, I've already seen her breakout, so if she does get kidnapped, she's killing someone to get away
Captain
# 22
05-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Spoiler alert, but, I'm going to be going somewhere with that idea down "The Road..."
Awesome I'll look forward to see where you go with it
Captain
# 23
05-10-2013, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
I have to admit, I didn't think it would be an assignment he would relish, but for some reason, I just had the strongest impression of him having to reduce his visual impact because of Pentaxia's suns, and figured a diplomatic mission like that might have been something he was asked to do by Quinn if at some point his true origin was to become more 'public knowledge'. I certainly don't see Quinn ordering him to do it.
Especially given the history Quinn has with Alyosha--what he saw back at the Academy as a young man. To Quinn, it was pretty horrible to watch Chaxx treat Alyosha the way he did.

So while I could see some sort of private meeting with Ch'K'rr, I just can't see anything else.

Quote:
To be fair to Ch'K'rr, her initial 'meeting' with Marcus did not come at the best of times for her, or under the best circumstances, but as she grew up, the lessons from her tutors would have caused her to re-evaluate her attitudes and opinion on isolationism.
I wonder how her tutors survived, especially seeing as they were actively trying to change her mindset and behavior. That's a dangerous position to be in. I find myself picturing her at that age as being something like the king from One Thousand and One Nights, in her sadism and sense of entitlement. I could easily see her sending her tutors to the death for daring to suggest anything about Her Highness should be re-evaluated or changed.

I could almost see meeting Alyosha as the final lesson. "Graduation" into her role as a responsible and mature ruler, perhaps. That's probably the only circumstances--with no one but her, Marcus, and one guard, sworn to secrecy--in which I could see the mission you have in miind occurring.

(I definitely think Marcus would have to be there--otherwise Alyosha would not fare well with such an assignment. What an irony for Ch'K'rr to see: the d'v'ash't'ya doesn't want to be alone with her any more than she wants to be alone with him.)

Quote:
Totally understand where you're coming from, it would be all to easy to create a huge foundation for the Devidians, only to have Cryptic cut it out from under your writing with a future mission... I think by keeping what is revealed about Devidians to be what Alyosha knows about himself (in addition to what is revealed) that keeps it from over-stepping that boundary
And even Alyosha may not be 100% right in everything he believes he knows about himself. After all, his upbringing was so "off" for a member of his species that, in a scientific sense, the sample has been "contaminated," and greatly so.

If I had to, I could assume that my stories were taking place in a STO-like alternate universe. But hopefully that wouldn't be necessary.
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 05-10-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Captain
# 24
05-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Especially given the history Quinn has with Alyosha--what he saw back at the Academy as a young man. To Quinn, it was pretty horrible to watch Chaxx treat Alyosha the way he did.

So while I could see some sort of private meeting with Ch'K'rr, I just can't see anything else.
That would make sense, although of course, sometimes officers are given assignments they would rather not perform, as Marcus found out when assigned to investigate Locutus' hardware

Quote:
I wonder how her tutors survived, especially seeing as they were actively trying to change her mindset and behavior. That's a dangerous position to be in. I find myself picturing her at that age as being something like the king from One Thousand and One Nights, in her sadism and sense of entitlement. I could easily see her sending her tutors to the death for daring to suggest anything about Her Highness should be re-evaluated or changed.
She might have gone through a fair few in the early years, but as she grew up, I think she would have come to appreciate the wisdom of their lessons...

Quote:
I could almost see meeting Alyosha as the final lesson. "Graduation" into her role as a responsible and mature ruler, perhaps. That's probably the only circumstances--with no one but her, Marcus, and one guard, sworn to secrecy--in which I could see the mission you have in miind occurring.

(I definitely think Marcus would have to be there--otherwise Alyosha would not fare well with such an assignment. What an irony for Ch'K'rr to see: the d'v'ash't'ya doesn't want to be alone with her any more than she wants to be alone with him.)
I think, that this meeting may indeed be the stumbling block I'd reached in my Doctor Who novel, as not knowing what happened next. I think that rather than it being a final lesson from her tutors, Marcus may have suggested Ch'K'rr meet Alyosha (there was a period where she was aboard the Endeavour during the mission) as a way of reinforcing Federation diversity to her...

Quote:
And even Alyosha may not be 100% right in everything he believes he knows about himself. After all, his upbringing was so "off" for a member of his species that, in a scientific sense, the sample has been "contaminated," and greatly so.

If I had to, I could assume that my stories were taking place in a STO-like alternate universe. But hopefully that wouldn't be necessary.
That would certainly make sense, and retain any internal consistency, as anything differently presented, can be explained as 'unbeknownst to him'
Captain
# 25
05-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
That would make sense, although of course, sometimes officers are given assignments they would rather not perform, as Marcus found out when assigned to investigate Locutus' hardware
And I still do not agree those were ever acceptable orders--especially when they had the data from Phlox, as to what the nanoprobes were and what they could do even against an extremely strong immune system (like the Denobulan one was). Starfleet Intelligence would have, and should have, been privy to that data. (Which makes you wonder why they never warned anyone of the assimilation risk when the Borg were discovered.)

Of the admirals in STO, when you play the game, Quinn comes off as the almost grandfatherly one. Demanding, but supportive. His century's version of J.P. Hanson, perhaps. He's not like some of the other mission-givers you encounter. Others could disagree, but I got the impression of someone less likely to gve those sorts of orders, and more likely to take the philosophy of trying to grow officers in a more constructive/positive manner. (Even in wartime, not everyone can be on the front lines. Someone still has to train and develop the officer corps.)

Quote:
I think, that this meeting may indeed be the stumbling block I'd reached in my Doctor Who novel, as not knowing what happened next. I think that rather than it being a final lesson from her tutors, Marcus may have suggested Ch'K'rr meet Alyosha (there was a period where she was aboard the Endeavour during the mission) as a way of reinforcing Federation diversity to her...
Doctor Who? Is this a crossover?

If I am understanding you correctly, it would be interesting to see how it played out. I'll have another question for you in the next PM I send you...
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com
Captain
# 26
05-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Quote:
And I still do not agree those were ever acceptable orders--especially when they had the data from Phlox, as to what the nanoprobes were and what they could do even against an extremely strong immune system (like the Denobulan one was). Starfleet Intelligence would have, and should have, been privy to that data. (Which makes you wonder why they never warned anyone of the assimilation risk when the Borg were discovered.)
The only in-universe explanation I can think of which makes sense, is that after the initial encounter with the drones, there was such a delay without further contact, that virtually everyone in the Federation forgot all about the drones, and it was only Magnus Hanson who considered them worthy of study...

I agree, definitely unacceptable orders, but equally, something which another officer might have refused to do to someone else even if ordered.

Quote:
Of the admirals in STO, when you play the game, Quinn comes off as the almost grandfatherly one. Demanding, but supportive. His century's version of J.P. Hanson, perhaps. He's not like some of the other mission-givers you encounter. Others could disagree, but I got the impression of someone less likely to gve those sorts of orders, and more likely to take the philosophy of trying to grow officers in a more constructive/positive manner. (Even in wartime, not everyone can be on the front lines. Someone still has to train and develop the officer corps.)
Indeed, I think the solution I PMd to you may be closer to the situation

Quote:
Doctor Who? Is this a crossover?
Not a literal one, no. It's a Doctor Who adventure, featuring Marcus and the crew of the Endeavour as the 'background' characters, when the 10th Doctor takes Rose to see Ch'K'rr's coronation. However, they are described as officers of the Commonwealth of United Systems, rather than the United Federation of Planets, the Endeavour as a Viscount-class starship etc Commander Tobin is only described as a slender brunette, rather than a Trill, and if I now include a section showing Marcus, Rose and Ch'K'rr encountering any Devidians during their hike through the canyons, they will only be identified by the Pentaxian name