# 11
05-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Very Interesting

Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honour Guard
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
05-10-2013, 06:54 PM
Thanks for explaining the process Taco

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginamala78 View Post
The stick Cryptic keep bringing out isn't to discourage you from playing, its to discourage you from playing incorrectly. The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Captain
# 13
05-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
Edit: why did all of my apostrophes turn into question marks?! WHAT MAGIC IS THIS!?!
Probably because you wrote that up in Word where Word automatically switched your quote marks and apostraphes into 'smart' ones, which aren't standard ASCII characters and so when you pasted it in, they came up as unknown characters.

Just my guess anyway. I never use Word for stuff that goes on the web because of that.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Career Officer
# 14
05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the explanation! Does this mean that once LoR hits Holodeck, it might
be a good idea to remove the old game folder and redownload the whole thing (if that end up taking less harddisk space, I mean)?
------------------------------------------------
Joined in March, 2011. Lifer since December, 2011.
Commander
# 15
05-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the info and all the teams hard work.
Captain
# 16
05-10-2013, 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
Probably because you wrote that up in Word where Word automatically switched your quote marks and apostraphes into 'smart' ones, which aren't standard ASCII characters and so when you pasted it in, they came up as unknown characters.

Just my guess anyway. I never use Word for stuff that goes on the web because of that.
Exactly this.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Republic Veteran
# 17
05-10-2013, 07:18 PM
I want a Taco fang little helper instead of a stupid paperclip.
Commander
# 18
05-10-2013, 07:21 PM
This looks good in the Rommie Fleet and other areas that were created with these textures in mind.

However, for all previous textures its a downgrade. The sharpen filter couldn't compensate what the "crunch" compression algorhythm did to the textures. It's like saving a JPG once more at 75-85% quality, this does never make things look better.

To quote the OP:

"It looks to me that they just used a sharpen filter and then recompressed the textures. In some cases the compression is worse than before. It makes the environment look overly sharpened and in some ways is hard to look at."

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=649351

This works out for some textures and in a few cases it might look better, but most console textures and similar things got affected quite negatively.

http://imageshack.us/a/img708/9553/comp18.jpg <- from the thread above
This is the worst example, thankfully it's not nearly as dramatic most of the time.

Perfect World Entertainment was eager to save bandwidth and I commend the effort to save as much perceived textured quality as possible. But selling this as "improvement" is quite off.
Career Officer
# 19
05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Interesting...

You have now achieved the title of MIP-TacoFang ...

DaveyNY - STO Forum Minion since February - 2009
................Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just Minions who have Played the Game for the last 5.0 years.
Rihannsu
# 20
05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post

Yet another reason why my favorite word processor is Notepad.

My second favorite is Vi, but I'd need an emulator to run it in Windows.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.