Captain
# 471
05-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Depends. If used in it's original definition of something having been slowed down then it is not offensive or negative. The problem is it has been used out of context in slang to the point where that is it's more common use.

As for above, I plunder/pilage Donatra on a regular basis. I destroy her ship and take the rewards often. I would also earn an invite to the perminant ignore party depending on how I choose to phrase that. The point I was trying to make is that you will add someone for what you subjectively percieve as a big no no but will not entertain the idea that you may be required to communicate with said person later. This is not possible if you leave them on ignore and the game has a habit of teaming you with people on your ignore list and vice versa.
Survivor of Remus
# 472
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 05-10-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Career Officer
# 473
05-10-2013, 11:15 AM
a mentally hanicapped person wouldnt be so daft as to draw attention him or herself, besides thats a sterotype that would likely get you put on an ignore list anyway, perhaps even a chat ban.

not sure why typical people think its appropriate to criticize someone over the use of a word that doesnt apply to them, a nice fail in logic.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Ensign
# 474
05-11-2013, 08:46 AM
i agree this has happened to me 2 times now they seriously need to fix it ,if someone don't wanna hear ya then hit ignore and done but that's such bs to chat ban by idiots that go he he he I got him chat banned for nothing .
Career Officer
# 475
05-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
Whoa wait hold up. What other games have this silence feature in them? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just that Cryptic games are literally the first games I've ever seen this feature in and I've been playing MMOs for a long, long time now. I'd be interested to know who else uses this system.
So now that all the arguing over words is finished, anyone out there have an answer for my previous question featured above? I'd still like to know what other games out there use this player run silencing feature.

-Lantesh
Since Feb. 2009
Captain
# 476
05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lan451 View Post
So now that all the arguing over words is finished, anyone out there have an answer for my previous question featured above? I'd still like to know what other games out there use this player run silencing feature.
Sorry missed your original.

The biggest game out there. WoW for one has this sytem in place. However there is no one who has figured out exactly how many are needed to trigger it. Also when instigated the person who has been silenced has their account reviewed pretty quickly to see if the silence is deserved or not. If it is it is left to run it's course, if it is not it is removed.

You can report people you think are organising enough people to grief silence people. This is investigated and the people themselves are punished. If they are on their last warning this means a full account ban, as breaking even a minor rule on final warning is at the risk of such a ban.

This is only from what was said in the newbie channel but Eve apparently has it. As the newbie channel gets a lot of ISK spammers because it is open to trials, it may have just been said to encourage people to report.

LotRO, again only applies to report spam. Though that may have changed since I played it when it was a subscription game. Again I can only go by what is said as I have never been the victim of it, just like here I can only go by what is said.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that you will add someone for what you subjectively percieve as a big no no but will not entertain the idea that you may be required to communicate with said person later. This is not possible if you leave them on ignore and the game has a habit of teaming you with people on your ignore list and vice versa.
I understand your point, however it is my choice to do this like it is your choice not to. My point was that the ignore is a personal matter and should not instigate an account silence no matter how many people do it. Which is what this thread is about, the validity or otherwise of an ignore system where the game doesn't even use it for queues is a whole different topic.

Edit: For some reason the system filters the third word in that games title so using the accronym instead.
Survivor of Remus
# 477
05-15-2013, 02:27 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 05-15-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Captain
# 478
05-16-2013, 08:27 AM
After getting some mail from egpal I can now see why the system is the way it is. Unlike other game I have played the report spam and ignore list seem to be on the same system.

When reporting spam the @handle gets added to your ignore list. For the change to happen and remove the silence from the silencing system it looks like they may need to build a new system. If that will happen I do not know but it may be time to take a look at it.
Ensign
# 479 happened to me also
05-16-2013, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blznfun View Post
Apparently you can be silenced by anyone (or several people working cooperatively) in STO. I was sitting at the exchange minding my own business when I went to respond to a private PM. My PM didn't go through and I thought the person who PM'd me logged off. When I checked my friends list it showed them online. That's when I checked the system messages and low and behold I was silenced for 24 hours.

I immediately contacted a GM through the behavioral button. Today I got a response saying its an automated system and that I have to wait for it to expire before I can chat again...

REALLY??? Just because someone or a group of people (you know who you are since ironically I was silenced right after the harasser was standing behind me doing the running man...) want to grief someone else (God forbid), I can't chat now and Cryptic refuses to do anything about it! I mean they have logs. They can see that I am being legit and truthful. Harassment should not be tolerated by the community, STO and lastly Cryptic/PW.

They have removed these in the past for me and several others after the response "We have reviewed the circumstances surrounding your chat ban and can find no reason for it. We have opted to remove it early." (Or something similar)

If this is the way Cryptic is going to treat their customers for abiding by the "Terms of service" and not punish those who are violating for those who all following it, God help us...

I am very frustrated about this and wonder what the "Terms of Service" are even for at this point. If they aren't going to uphold them, do we really need them?

this happened to me at drozona a ufp (somthin) fleet was doing this as entertainment, had to run major event thru ts and have my employees talk for me lol, it was weak. i avoid rp'rs, trollers, large groups of the same fleet in drozona station now. /who in chat will show you if large groups of peeps are in one area, change instance to avoid em. (id perfer the excessive power without checks n balances fixed tho)
Commander
# 480
05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
its 5 in 5 seconds. once per 24 hours per account.
its rampant. its deplorable. live by the sword die by the sword.

dare you. you wont speak for a month.

Edit: and your little dog too. all your dogs. cats even.
your friends mothers cousins sons fleetmates too.

knock it off.