Rihannsu
# 21
05-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
No, the Tal Shiar are still murdering psychopaths, even by Romulan standards. Because, y'know, the majority of the Romulan people are absolutely terrified of them, one way or another.
And the "History shows that races of people do not change even with time and circumstance" line is complete BS. If you were an actual study of history, you'd know that.
Actually, I AM a student of history and am 62 years old as well.. I'll contest your assertion then..

Look at the middle east.. Theyve been at each others throats since before buddha walked the earth.. They still are.. No change.. Look at China.. When Emporer Qin united the nations we now call china he began a centuries long mistreatment of his people to build his wall, which other emporers followed up on and continued till Ghengis Khan became emporer.. Today, hundred and thousands of coal miners die every year doing underpayed back breaking work in their mines.. Again, no change..
When the people that became america first came to this continent they were the rejects of the world. no one wanted them and most hated them.. I give you todays social climate in where everyone still pretty much hates us.. again no change..
races do not change.. and niether would the romulans..
Career Officer
# 22
05-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanokskyrat View Post
Gecko and a few of the other talk about this in like every interview at the moment. Tal Shair are not bad, not evil THERE VERY VERY VERY BAD AND EVIL!
compaired to the Obsidian order though they are teddy bears, let me put it this way, Tal shiar, Section 31, I think I could take.

But if the Obsidian Order was coming after me, I think I would just eat a phaser.
Career Officer
# 23
05-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentexeider View Post
compaired to the Obsidian order though they are teddy bears, let me put it this way, Tal shiar, Section 31, I think I could take.

But if the Obsidian Order was coming after me, I think I would just eat a phaser.
this post is very true and has made my day
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
# 24
05-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Fear not there's a Tal Shiar lockbox heading our way with the launch of LoR...I gots mah sources...
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Gecko and a few of the other talk about this in like every interview at the moment. Tal Shair are not bad, not evil THERE VERY VERY VERY BAD AND EVIL!

it comes down too that most people don't want to play VERY EVIL and BAD toons, I know you want too, but i mean in general, and the numbers prove this, (they talk about the numbers in City of Hero's vs. City of Villains, and KDF vs. Fed etc.)

Also the other reason is the story. They want the Tal Shair to be the bad guys... they're working with the Iconians and there up too a lot of bad stuff.

SWTOR proves you wrong, considering that the Sith Empire has more players than the Republic. And its not as if the Sith Empire is just a misunderstood empire that actually wants a social healthcare system for its citizens and desires to live in harmony with its galactic neighbors. Instead, you get to do quite horrific acts as a player: unleash biological weapons that leave the victims writhing in agony for weeks before they die, execute unarmed prisoners who plead for their lives by electrocuting them, torture a husband to get info from his wife, then when she gives it kill him but let her live so she remembers...etc..etc..And the vast majority of the Sith Empire players do these things and are max dark side.

Storywise I can understand why we don't join forces with the Tal Shiar, but they could have made the option to join Sela (and have Sela break with Hakeev's Tal Shiar or something similar). But then they would have had to create a true third faction with all the extra work that brings. This was the easy way out for them, and admittedly if it is either this or no Romulan faction at all I'm glad they did.
Starfleet Veteran
# 26
05-12-2013, 01:19 AM
I'd rather there be no Romulan faction than there be this "Romulan-lite" faction where you have no choice but follow people who are essentially Vulcan wannabes becoming puppets of either the Federation or KDF.

I played the beta up to Mind Games and when it became clear that there was actually no way of genuinely becoming a deep cover Tal Shiar operative (which would have taken what...two or three different dialogue choices, a few paragraphs of text and a set of 2-3 Tal Shiar missions to satisfy the player?) I gave up and stopped.

When I heard about this game update, I thought it would be like City of Villains and the Romulans would be the bad guys that the Klingons in this game never were.

But nope, you're stuck with Spock's fanboy. There's no choice.

I guess I'll go sit in the corner again until the Borg faction finally come out. And if the Devs screw that one up as well by making the player some kind of weird liberated good-guy Borg...well that's when I'll just give up and go be a Sith in ToR. Again.
Captain
# 27
05-12-2013, 01:34 AM
really the whole ally thing plays very little into the faction now that the romulan toons can not use ally T5 ships. it only dictates what fleet you can join. that's it.

story wise only 2 maybe 3 missions really have any thing to do with your ally and they just boil down to what NPCs spawn in big fleet battles or what NPCs you fight in one mission
Republic Veteran
# 28
05-12-2013, 01:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by casbyness View Post
I guess I'll go sit in the corner again until the Borg faction finally come out. And if the Devs screw that one up as well by making the player some kind of weird liberated good-guy Borg...well that's when I'll just give up and go be a Sith in ToR. Again.
Then you're going to be in that corner for a very long time, because devs have already stated that if they did do the borg, then it would be a splinter group like Hu's or the one small collective trying to break away from the Borg from voyager.
Imperial Secret Order. "we are the ones that maintain the balance of power in the universe. May our shadow never fall upon you."
Captain
# 29
05-12-2013, 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentexeider View Post

Humorously enough, if you ally with the Federation, you end up working for section 31...but never the Tal'Shiar. Heck, when 'undercover' for the Tal Shiar I must have killed hundreds of Tal Shiar agents, but can't think of any incidents where I had the option of actually following my Tal Shiar orders to the letter. heaven forbid the player have to do something they might find morally squeemish, I guess.

Personally I would havew rather had a 'monster play' option for the RSE/Tal Shiar, at least then the spirit of things would remain intact. Now we have what is essentially 'Fed lite', except I recall having at least oen mission (the return) where the palyer has the option of actually helping the RSE, imagine that. Instead, what we have in LOR is Cryptic constantly banging us about the head over how good and noble the Romulan Republic is and how evil and twisted the RSE/Tal Shiar is (and it might as well just be the tal Shiar, considering how determined Cryptic seems to be to retcon out all evidence of non-Tal Shiar Romulan military forces) This was painfully evident when you had to decode the Tal Shiar files which basically painted D'tan as an angel who never did anything wrong. I'm happy I got my 1 hour in on tribble, because I don't see myself playing LoR much, if at all, in the future.
Career Officer
# 30
05-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Quote:

it comes down too that most people don't want to play VERY EVIL and BAD toons, I know you want too, but i mean in general, and the numbers prove this, (they talk about the numbers in City of Hero's vs. City of Villains, and KDF vs. Fed etc.)

Also the other reason is the story. They want the Tal Shair to be the bad guys... they're working with the Iconians and there up too a lot of bad stuff.
Or maybe it'd be too hard and resource intensive?

*Looks at WoW and sees the Horde has a good number of players*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.