Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Career Officer
TO THE DEVS/MODS: i've posted this seperately so it dosn't get lost in the ship/singularity topic, and it's not really to do with that but the core item itself.

ALL OF THIS SPECULATION AND SUGGESTIONS COMES BASED FROM THE DILITHUM STORE RARE MK X ITEMS.

So i've probably read over 200 posts about this and it finally hit me, the problem isn't really with the warbids themselves, but the cores. If you compare Warp to Singularity cores, warp cores are vastly overpowered. they give 2 power bonuses, allow an increase of +5 max to a system, and additional bonuses. Singularity cores on the other hand, only give a bonus with a singularity charge, and give a bonus to a skill.

This is a solution becuase it makes the cores not dependent on your charge. Right now people are going to stay at max charge and never use the abilities to get the bonus +15 power level. To the Devs: Wasn't the WHOLE point of singularity abilities people using them?

It's obvious at this point that warbird powers are staying at -40 and singularity powers are not getting boosted anymore. So we have to go to the the last option and the truly unbalanced piece of equipment between them.

SOLUTION: Remove singuarity charge requirement from cores.
  • +10 to a single power, not dependant on charge.
  • ..+10 instead of +5 because warbirds already have -10 to each power.
  • Power to Power ability.
  • ..Add warp core power of 7.5% one power to another. same options as warp cores.
  • Bonus skill
  • ..same as current
  • Singularity skill bonus
  • ..same as current

Making this change would give Singularity cores set power bonuses not dependent on charge level. That means that romulan players are free to use the charge abilities instead of holding onto them for that extra +15 power as i know many people, myself included will do. This plan puts singularity cores on par with warp cores. You get 4 bonuses instead of 3 just like a warp core. And adding the 7.5% one power to another also helps with the lower power levels.

And this balances out warbirds more to fed/kdf players. Warp cores allow Fed/kdf to break 125 max power, imagine a vesta with it's aux cannons and 130 power. But romulans with the -40 power are already at a disadvantage, and singularity cores compared to warp are not balanced at all. Warp cores give tons of extra power, singularity gives only +5 unless you keep your core charge up all the time, which ruins your cloak and negates the whole point of adding the powers, which is to use them.

Another option, is to make these Fleet/Embassy exclusive cores. T5/T3, but honestly i think all singularity cores should be reworked this way.

So thats my idea. Looking for actual constructive feedback from devs and the community. If your just going to come here and complain or flame, please go someplace else. Lets have some actual discussion.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Republic Veteran
# 2
05-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Warbirds in current state are fun and all..but checking power levels..meh,Can't they just decrease that -40 powe to 20 or so..

Also i agree..Sing cores comparing to warp cores..really need some buffing.

Last edited by madajmama; 05-13-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Captain
# 3
05-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by madajmama View Post
Also reading ur post u are saying warbirds have -40 power levels..wow.. thats to much :S
That's the tradeoff for those oh so wonderful singularity powers your romulan ship has.

But as the OP points out, people won't use them if it means keeping a full charge and negating the power minus.

Still it takes a bit to charge the singularity anyways, so it's still a disadvantage for the Romulan captain no matter what. But the devs have tested all this internally and assure us the players that it's a-ok.
Republic Veteran
# 4
05-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
That's the tradeoff for those oh so wonderful singularity powers your romulan ship has.

But as the OP points out, people won't use them if it means keeping a full charge and negating the power minus.

Still it takes a bit to charge the singularity anyways, so it's still a disadvantage for the Romulan captain no matter what. But the devs have tested all this internally and assure us the players that it's a-ok.
Ill rather prefer having 40 power lvls more..

Maybe its just me..

Ugh.

Rihannsu
# 5
05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
One thing I learned about STO is when someone made something, it going to go into the game no matter what.

You cry, scream, beg, whatever but Singularity Powers are in since someone made then no matter what you say or do will change that, I wish people stop talking about it or Cryptic tries to balance then and anyone that been here for a while knows that is the very last thing we want.
Romulans ...
You start your career off as a simple farmer... then you launch yourself into a galaxy filled with intrigue, power plays, and high stakes games of interstellar conflict, as your career careens upwards onto your final destination ... a level capped Dilithium and Fleet Mark Farmer!
Commander
# 6
05-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post

Hell, 3-6 points in warp core efficiency negates warbirds' power penalty, forget efficient captain and efficient BOffs for the moment. Everything else -- including the new and improved emergency power abilities -- is just sugar on top. Personally, I just don't see much of a point to the new item slot, save give players something else for which to grind ad infinitum.
Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
Empire Veteran
# 7
05-13-2013, 12:48 PM
I still say that it should work such that if you fire off a singularity power, you then incur a power penalty for some period of time. If you never use one, you are basically a normal ship.

Balance the penalty such that building singularity charge does not need to affect power levels.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Career Officer
# 8
05-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
Hell, 3-6 points in warp core efficiency negates warbirds' power penalty, forget efficient captain and efficient BOffs for the moment. Everything else -- including the new and improved emergency power abilities -- is just sugar on top. Personally, I just don't see much of a point to the new item slot, save give players something else for which to grind ad infinitum.
Not really, it helps for sure, but dosn't get us anywhere near fed/kdf ships.

Also, using efficient boffs instead of romulans means you loose your bonus to critical hits and cloak.

But again, this topic is not about the ships themselves. We have -40, thats set in stone for now. This topic is about changing the core item itself to not be so underpowered compared to the warp core. and taking away the requirement for a charge which means that people will just keep a full charge instead of using the abilities.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Captain
# 9
05-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neok182 View Post
Also, using efficient boffs instead of romulans means you loose your bonus to critical hits and cloak.
Considering the absurd crit/severity numbers that only Romulans will have access to, the fact that there is an incentive to run non-romulan boffs is not a bad thing at all.
Commander
# 10
05-13-2013, 01:00 PM
make a core the disabled the stupid sing abilities but gives us +5power across the board...and then i can sing with joy...cause obviosly they quantify the turnrate is counterbalancing the bonus hull.(as if a bonus of 3k hull means jack didly for a ship that cant turn) so they seem to think cloaks worth -5power and these singularity abilities are worth anouther -5 not realy but alright devs way to shoehorn romulans into the usefulness of say an engineering officer -_-
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663