Republic Veteran
# 11
05-14-2013, 03:43 AM
The Fleet system is just geared towards larger numbers of players than you are used to. If you want to gain the benefits of a large fleet but still retain some autonomy as a group of tight knit players, you could appeal to a large fleet for the chance to create a squadron of some sort.
# 12
05-14-2013, 05:30 AM
The Hiigaran Empire is doing fine, and there is only 6 of us, 2 who play daily...

We have t2 on everything, Although to tell the truth we have not really bothered with the embassy, as it seems to cost alot of dilithium, to earn xp for an upgrade project that costs alot of dilithium, to buy gear for alot of dilithium...O.o

At least with the starbase there are one or two XP projects that don't require it!
Career Officer
# 13
05-14-2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
Just so long as you do not require Antiprotons for your ship you should be fine with Reputation gear or various lockbox MK XII weapons actually.
Unfortunately, I'm a Antiproton user!
And don't even get me started about the Antiproton Mag Regulators.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasukurobi View Post
With a refine cap of 8K and it being a LOT of work to generate Dilithium in the 100's of thousands combined with the fact that every player also needs Dilithium for EVERYTHING else in the entire game... It can be hard to convince even MYSELF to part with it... And I am the danged leader of the fleet.
Yep, that's pretty much the position I'm in as well.

Everytime I see a project that says Dilithium I cringe!

Even if it's small amounts required, I still have to push myself to donate it!
After all, many small amounts over time will equal a large amount!
Lt. Commander
# 14
05-14-2013, 07:12 AM
I see..EVE Trek Online.
Empire Veteran
# 15
05-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharyssa View Post
I see..EVE Trek Online.
Nonsense... I could get the materials I needed for EVE far faster than the Dilithium in STO. One outing of my Corp and we could build nearly anything besides full on Cap ships.
Commander
# 16
05-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm more concerned about the fact this game pretty much forces you into a fleet if you want to progress.

If you don't jump into a fleet and acquiesce to what they want you to do and how often they want you on, you lose out on too much in the game. Your ship selection hits a wall, you're stuck with Mark XI weapons because they moved all Mark XIIs to fleets.

At least WoW figured this out and added raids you can do with picked-up groups so that you no longer MUST have a guild to do the endgame. Sure, some pug raids on there are dumbasses but the option's there when you don't want others to tell you what to do on pain of never being able to progress in the game.

I've been in WoW guilds, I'm tired of having to log on and do some **** someone else tells me to do with MY GAME every single day. I want to play when I'm ready to play, and I shouldn't be getting punished by not being in a fleet that's gonna tell me "No, you'll log on when WE tell you or we'll kick".

Last edited by platewearingbird; 05-14-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 17
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
With the launch of LOR there will be even more ships unavailable to small Fleets.

Cryptic needs to move away from Elitist and make it so everyone can build T5 shipyards or whatever.

Don't even try to give me that "work" for it crap. It's a game. The moment you work in a game it's defeating the purpose.

Making Fleet resources more easily available will also cut down on the QQ when high level Fleets get stolen.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
You have some wonky assumptions about larger fleets.

For one, their rosters tend to be quite full so absorbing a smaller fleet isn't really an option. Nevermind the fact that they're far more selective on who they admit and usually have a limited contribution level before anyone even becomes a full member and/or has access to the fleet stores. A few big fleets spam for recruiting, but most do not. Quality over quantity.

Second, large fleets have no reason to block smaller fleet progression. This was a common misconception in EQ as well and the truth of the matter was, the big guilds in EQ never even socialized or otherwise thought of the smaller guilds because their progression was so far ahead and they were in places the others had no access to, that it was a non factor. Large fleets tend to do fleet actions and ESTF without pugging, and many have general chat disabled. Most have no idea you even exist, even if you spam the heck out of ESD.

Third, the progression is what it is. They made T3 relatively accessable even to small fleets which opens the door to the majority of content that Starbases have to offer. The fact that you only have 2-3 people actually contributing is more of a result of poor recruiting practices than actually being a problem with the system. A small fleet isn't 2-3 contributors, otherwise what's the point of joining a small fleet if you can do the same with a bunch of alts?

Lastly, Cryptic likely views "small fleets" as groups of 20-80 people or so who are mostly active and mostly contributing. Smaller ones fall off the grid because the system wasn't designed with that in mind. They want people to form into larger groups and work towards a common goal, rather than cluster into small alt armies for bank space and whatnot.

My advice to you is to start recruiting and looking for quality members. The likelyhood of the system being altered down to the point of where a half dozen people can attain T4+ status is likely not going to happen because Cryptic doesn't want alt armies exploiting the system.
6 people can get to tier 4.
Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=463
Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Commander
# 19
05-14-2013, 02:10 PM
This thread made me re-post my recruiting .. message.. lol

Yeah I tried to stay extra teeny for awhile.. but I figured I would never be able to spend all the resources of the fleet with just 2 of us.. yup only had me and this other guy for awhile

He vanished a few months back.. ( worried yes, but cannot get in touch with him ), so I had to take on the brunt of the fleet stuff.. got a few people in during the past few weeks.. and it couldn't have worked out better.

One of my new guys is a superstar.. already rank 3.. having contributed like 700k in the first 2 weeks. Very happy I was able to snatch him up. Showed my appreciation by making him rank 3, and unlimited access to 1 bank slot to do with what he pleases.

Im super easy going, and that just did not seems to fit in with the few large fleets ive joined and left in my time. They would ignore you unless you were buddies with one of the higher ups.. even if you were #5 on the damn contributions list for 2 months! .. I climbed from #300+ to #5 (around 1.5mil).. and still did not get access to anything! Damn egos

Yeah yeah not saying they are allll like thatttt.. but keep your shinies.. I will not beg for crop i already should have earned!

Oh yeah.. so keep hope alive!!!.. try to recruit decent people, and just keep an eye on them for a week or two to make sure they arent crazy..

it isnt an easy road to T5 for us little guys.. but with hard work and $$$ ( lol ) we will make it... and hopefully we will have so many goodies by then.. we will be glad that we didnt waste dilithium on what they have now!
Captain
# 20
05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
For background, we have a membership list of around 60 members, but over time, the number of active members has dwindled to around 5 or so.

And of those 5, the two active contributors are me and another leader.
Then at this point you have to look into a mirror and reconcile some things , such as when the Flet System was introduced , your path and the path of all but one of you fleeties has diverged .
Two of you took the path to the Starbase .
58 chose to sit back and "relax" .

I'm not going to tell you what that means .
You're an adult , figure it out .

However ...

Quote:
Also, for better or worse, I commit to a Fleet, out of loyalty and responsibility to the members.

So, I'm not going to abandon it no matter what.
If it's not too much trouble , look up the term 'misplaced loyalties' .
If that's too much to swallow then how bout the finger pointing you pulled (on large fleets) as you had to point your rage at someone other than yourself and your 58 very cooperative fleeties .

Quote:
But now I feel like I'm being punished for my commitment to these ideals.
No , you're being punished for being one of two members of a 60 man fleet who gives a damn about Starbases .
That's one reality you're facing .
The other ... is that perhaps ... , just perhaps those large fleets had to work hard too to get pass the hurdles of millions of Dil and other difficult or expansive commodities .

You've already had one player reach out to you in this thread with an offer to help .
That's a better deal than anything Cryptic will do for you in the near future .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .