Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Captain
# 61
05-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Bad side: I've started getting more of these lately. I hadn't really seen much gold spam since the game's launch.

Good side: It means the game is getting popular enough that the gold farmers are finding STO more attractive to find victims on. All the big successful games have some level of of this. Even in stuff like WoW, I still get them once in a while, despite Blizzard's best efforts.
Ainu - Join Date: Aug 2008
Foundry Missions: 1) The Source of Power (ST-HSWUBD5TQ) [Federation] 16+
-----=====*****<[ Fleet Recruitment Thread ]>*****=====-----
Lieutenant
# 62
05-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Can we have some sort of auto-ban or just a failure to send any mail with "eg-pal.com" in it? Simple solution......
Lieutenant
# 63
05-15-2013, 04:45 AM
I know the trading of in game items for real money is not allowed, and yes the spam mail is annoying, but i would love to know how the rumor started that EC sellers steal your account?

Im not disputing the fact that people loose accounts on the game, but to my knowledge that has predominantly been through the use of key loggers or phishing sites.

Again, to be clear i am not endorsing this, just clarifying things.

After visiting the site in question from this thread they claim to meet you ingame and trade the EC to you... What part of this process requires the user to hand over their login details?

Ive got no interest in buying ec by the way, im cool with the 600+m i already have, but i do like a good ol urban legend.

Cubeageddon - You are the last hope. Find it in the Foundry!
The Space Race - An alternate to PVP - In Foundry Now!
Lieutenant
# 64
05-15-2013, 01:11 PM
Very annoying to have 10 EC spammers in less than 5 hours. My mailbox is blowing up from them every day.
Rihannsu
# 65
05-15-2013, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by molaigh View Post
Can we have some sort of auto-ban or just a failure to send any mail with "eg-pal.com" in it? Simple solution......
Then they just change to a different domain name. Or they pull the old trick of eg[hyphen]pal[dot]com.

Also imagine if you banned someone for sending out a fleet wide mail warning about these people because they used eg-pal.com in the message.

Having spam reports and ToS violation reports sent by players to QA and reviewed is probably the best system. Auto-ban systems are very easily abused and can take wrong action against players.
My Romulan Liberated Borg character made it to Level 30 and beat the (old) Defense of New Romulus with the skill point bug.
Captain
# 66
05-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Seriously, this ****'s getting really annoying. I'm blocking a new person every damn day.

How about locking the ability to mail people to the friend list?

If they're not on your friend list you can't mail them anything. This won't hurt anyone as the only reason someone is blind mailing strangers is to screw with them or spam them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusmorologus View Post
Yeah it needs fixed. In the meantime, Social -> Privacy -> only accept mail from friends and fleetmates
Won't that cause an issue with Auction sales/returns?

I mean, in a properly coded game the administration contacts wouldn't be blockable but we all know the coding in this game is a little... shall we say off?

Last edited by foundrelic; 05-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Lieutenant
# 67
05-15-2013, 04:04 PM
I reported an EgPal spammer today, and now my account is banned. :/

No idea if there is a connection, and maybe they thought I was involved in it? If they do, I most certainly was not. I am an honest gamer who just wants to enjoy the game like everyone else. I am in no way connected to the spammers.
Captain
# 68
05-15-2013, 09:23 PM
Only today i received 4 email from egpal...

So, any news about this problem?
| CSI - Confederazione Stellare Italiana | @NandoPC |
Rihannsu
# 69
05-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
Won't that cause an issue with Auction sales/returns?

I mean, in a properly coded game the administration contacts wouldn't be blockable but we all know the coding in this game is a little... shall we say off?
Considering people who have been chat-banned have complained about not receiving their exchange sales/returns...I'd say it's likely they count as you mailing to yourself for blocking purposes, even if it says "Exchange" in the sender field. Unless the chat-ban also blocks you from receiving mail.

Anyway, it should be simple enough to check...empty your exchange listing, set the only friends and fleet can mail -option, sell one item thats in high demand so it sells quickly and see if you get the mail.
Career Officer
# 70
05-16-2013, 02:31 AM
im now getting these blastered emails as well, i dont like ignoring any player no matter how silly they are, its not my way to put up auto ignore. but the system is set that way with the report spam option.

it would be far less messier if cryptic had jumped on the issue before it became one.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.