Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Shipyards
Login

Captain
# 21
05-15-2013, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirokk View Post
The Oddy is not a good beam cruiser?!?!?! Why do you say this? Just curious...
there is a great difference between "the best beam cruiser (build)" and a "good" beam cruiser...a rather large difference actually once you parse the combatlogs.
the oddy is an excellent cruiser be it beams or single cannons, but simply not the best if the goal is to max your dps with beams, which is clearly indicated by the OP's current setup.
I run a Tac oddy too for tanking elite stfs, cause the ship can still take quite a beating despite the offensive setup i use.
Oddy excels at it's versatility. Many, many possible setups that are more than viable in their respective role, but as i said before fleet versions of the ACretrofit and excelsior have been proven to be capabel of pushing more dps than the tac oddy with an all beam setup.

Quote:
Not to be overly critical but how constructive is it to tell someone asking for help with an Odyssey build that they should fly another ship? Be it the Excelsior you suggested or the JHAS I suggested?

Anyways, yes, it was a joke. The joke loses all its humor when explained, but I'll explain it anyways:

Hundreds of threads I see on these forums where someone asks for specific advice on how to gear a particular ship. And people always, without fail, suggest a totally different ship.

So me being the funny person I am (at least in my head) I always like to suggest that the person fly the best ship in STO. The JHAS.

In classic Internet failure, I'm going to present an analogy!

It's like the OP asked what toppings they should get on their pizza.

You suggested they get a Stromboli instead.

I suggested they not even eat at the pizzeria and instead go get some lobster thermadore.

Cause why not? It's better than the pizza and the stromboli.
i was merely suggesting that if the OP's goal was to max his dps with all beams, an aux to batt build would be preferable. That is not doable on the tac oddy without sacrificing the ltdcmdr tactical slot.
your post was not constructive, because you didn't add anything on the topic...atleast i did dedicate 2/3 of my post on a possible oddy build for him.

so to correct your analogy...i presented the list of toppings for his pizza, but ended the list with an alternative pizza-like dish (calzone), that is known to be enjoyed by many customers.
PS: i'm not sure what dish stromboli actually is, since it is a vulcano in the tyrrhenian sea.
Go pro or go home

Last edited by baudl; 05-15-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Captain
# 22
05-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
there is a great difference between "the best beam cruiser (build)" and a "good" beam cruiser...a rather large difference actually once you parse the combatlogs.
the oddy is an excellent cruiser be it beams or single cannons, but simply not the best if you the goal is to max your dps, which is clearly indicated by the OP's current setup.
I run a Tac oddy too for tanking elite stfs, cause the ship can still take quite a beating despite the offensive setup i use.

i was merely suggesting that if the OP's goal was to max his dps with all beams, an aux to batt build would be preferable. That is not doable on the tac oddy without sacrificing the ltdcmdr tactical slot.
your post was not constructive, because you didn't add anything on the topic...atleast i did dedicate 2/3 of my post on a possible oddy build for him.

so to correct your analogy...i presented the list of toppings for his pizza, but ended the list with an alternative pizza-like dish (calzone), that is known to be enjoyed by countless customers.
I run an A2B Tac oddy and I only use 1 A2B with 2 purple techs and a blue. This manages to get most of the abilities to global anyway, with the others only missing by a second or 2. If he wanted to (while making his tanking suffer) he could still use the Lt Com as a tac with A2B. An alternative to A2B is damage control engineers to limit the amount of engineering slots used for EP2X and they can be used for other defensive or healing abilities, or even DEM.

Harden up Princess
Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
www.ausmonauts.com
Captain
# 23
05-15-2013, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagrom7 View Post
An alternative to A2B is damage control engineers to limit the amount of engineering slots used for EP2X and they can be used for other defensive or healing abilities, or even DEM.
yes, thats what i run on my tac oddy + DEM3 (with the doff)...and that's what i suggested to him in the link at the end of my first post.
Go pro or go home
Commander
# 24
05-15-2013, 02:35 AM
I don't know why people aren't saying to use the Maco 2 piece set bonus. I think most people just don't understand what that set bonus does. I reduces recharge time of boff abilities. It also reduces recharge time of you own character's (tac/eng/sci) abilities. I also reduces recharge time of your weapons. Yes it does all the above. It's simply amazing. Use an elite fleet shield along with maco deflector and engine. If elite shields aren't available to you and you said they aren't, then use maco deflector and shield and use whatever engine floats your boat. maco shield is a resilient shield so your hull damage is 1/2 of the other shields. Assuming shields are still up that is. This means you don't need that extra hull heal. As an engineer tank the last is what I use.

Don't use Beam Overload on a beam boat. You'll have 7 beams weapons sitting there and doing nothing until 1 beam fires. Meaning it's a loss in dps. Maybe if you PVPed and were trying to 1 shot someone it may be ok. But not in a PvE STF.

Also as you still don't have access to fleet gear this may have kept you from making a mistake. Don't use fleet weapons with a beam boat. The [dmg] and [acc] modifiers are still broke with Fire at Will. Last tested 5-14 on Tribble and it's still broke. Use Romulan beams or non fleet Disruptor beams. Disruptor proc is way better then the 5% crit severity from Antiproton weapons. Romulan beams should be [CrtD]x2. Disruptor beams should be [CrtH] [CrtD]x2 or [CrtD]x3 depending on your current crit% and crit severity.

It's way more efficient to just wait to get the MK XII rep gear. Saves a whole lot of grinding. I used the Jem Hadar set as you're using for quite a while until I got what I wanted. I know it's hard to wait so long for gear. But it's worth the wait really.

I'm not going to say what build to use. There are enough threads already saying what's best and some people have already chimed in here. Well ignoring the torpedo responses that is. I do however suggest you use Attack Pattern Beta in leu of Omega. It's not only an overall increase to your dps but it's an overall increase to your teams dps. Every ship should have at least 1 APB imo. The same can be said for weapons with disruptor procs. Although I know people aren't willing to do the last. But if they did we'd all be doing 15k+ dps.

Last edited by dragonsbite; 05-15-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 25
05-15-2013, 03:26 AM
http://youtu.be/Mcu9F7xlJos?t=15m59s

^This is a great build for a really potent Odyssey. The only other way I would go about it is to ditch Antiprotons in favor of Romulan Plasma of the same types. Get the Experimental Romulan Plasma Array for up front in place of a Dual Beam Bank and grab the Romulan Hyper Torpedo and Zero Point console to get the full Romulan console/weapon set bonus for extra damage and a wicked debuff/DoT/direct to hull attack.
Lt. Commander
# 26
05-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Well the Odessy is not a bad cruiser at all. I used it for quite a while on my tac toon.
Aux to Batteries is a skill that helps cruisers alot but you can work around it. The oddessey is not realy suited to it as you might want to use the universal Lt.Commander slot for a tactical
boff.

My build goes like this.

Lt.Com Uni: Tactical Team I , Torpedo Spread II , Beam fire at will III

Lt. Tac: Torpedo High Yield I , Attack Pattern Beta I

Com Eng : Emergency Power to Weapons I ,, Emergency Power to Shields II , Auxiliary to Structural II , Reverse Shield Polarity III

Ens. Eng : Engineering Team I

Lt. Sci: Science Team I , Transfer Shield Strength I

Ship itself:

3 Advanced Fleet Phaser Beam Arrays Mk XII (CrtH,Dmgx3) , Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo

Maco Set Mk XI

3 Advanced Fleet Phaser Beam Arrays Mk XII (CrtH,Dmgx3) , Advanced Fleete Quantum Torpedo Mk XII

Subspae Field Modulator Weapons Battery, Shield Battery, Auxilliary Battery

All 3 Oddy Consoles + Tachyokinetic Converter, Borg Assimilated Module, Point Defence System, Field Generator Mk XII purple
3 purple Phaser Relais Mk XI

You might get more Damage out of a plasma built nowadays but i prefer my Fed ships to use Phaserbeams.

Doffs are Exocomp, 2x Projectile Officer, 1 Conn Officer , and 1 Beam Weapons Officer. All are purple.

Combined with the Tac captains abilities,and the doffs your rate of fire should be pretty high , and the oddy allows to kepp energy levels high at all time. Sure my build also emphasizes on the use of torpedos to quite some degree but my skillpoints were put into projectile damage as well as energy weapon damage.
Maco set also boosts your cooldown for all abilities and it suits itself to tanking. And the
Amount of engineering abilities allow for surviving and to some extend healing friendlies while doing damage.
Id go so far to say that the tac Odyssey does the most damage relativ to its survivebility.
Fleet Excelsior and Fleet Assault Cruiser will outdamage it at the cost of a bit tankiness and an almost total loss of team healing skills.
You want to do it all and all of that well then the Odyssey is realy hard to beat.
Cruisers ftw!
Lieutenant
# 27
05-15-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks again for everyones responses. I did take alot of the advice from y'all (exept I got the fleet anti-proton beams before I read the post about accuracy and BFAW...).
One question I do have, can I have more than one of the same type of Doff? If so, how? Thanks.
Captain
# 28
05-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasier13 View Post
Thanks again for everyones responses. I did take alot of the advice from y'all (exept I got the fleet anti-proton beams before I read the post about accuracy and BFAW...).
One question I do have, can I have more than one of the same type of Doff? If so, how? Thanks.
It depends on the doff, some careers can have a couple, while some limit you to one.

Harden up Princess
Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
www.ausmonauts.com
Captain
# 29
05-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
PS: i'm not sure what dish stromboli actually is, since it is a vulcano in the tyrrhenian sea.
You know what a calzone is but not a stromboli?
Lieutenant
# 30
05-16-2013, 12:50 AM
This is my Build for my Tac Odyssey im a engineer but prefer the layout of the Tac version with some help from guys on the forums i have had to do some changes to my build to greatly improve things.

I am working towards getting the zero point module for my build but as you know needs a few Marks to get it.

I can do most STF's with out going down at all while still dishing out alot of damage the SB24 event i can come 1st pretty much everytime on that not sure what that proves but just point it out.

I keep the Eject warp plasma on so i can group ships together and broadside as many as i can while the plasma does damage to them aswell

im very pleased with this build and looking forward to see what its like with the zero point module on it when i get it.

Last edited by major1ceman; 05-16-2013 at 09:30 AM.