Empire Veteran
# 1 Low Resolution Blurry Graphics
05-16-2013, 09:21 AM
Hello,

Whenever i load to a new area, both ground and space the textures are all incredibly low res, almost as if i have the graphical settings set extremely low even though I have them all maxed out.
I have found a highly annoying workaround to get the graphics back to the way they should be, if i go into the graphic settings menu and tick and then untick the Half Resolution tickbox the graphics suddenly become high res again and remains so until i load to another area where i have to repeat the process.

I have tried adjusting the settings in the Troubleshooting section, namely the Direct X version but nothing makes a difference.

A bit of info about my system:

• MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V Intel.
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s).
  • RAM: Patriot Memory 8GB (2 x 4GB) Viper Xtreme Series PC3-15000 1866MHz CL9 Division 2 Edition.
  • GPU: 2x Sapphire Technology AMD Radeon 7970 HD 1GHz 6GB PCI-Express 3.0 HDMI Vapor-X.
  • SSD: OCZ Technology 256GB Vector Series SATA 6Gb/s 2.5" Solid State Drive.
  • HDD: Seagate 1TB Barracuda SATA 6Gb/s 64MB 7200RPM Hard Drive.
  • Monitors: 3x Acer S240HLbid 24'' Full HD widescreen LCD monitor with LED Backlight.
  • Game Resolution: 5896 x 1080.

* All drivers and system updates are current (and i've even re-installed the GPU drivers to be safe)
** The two GPU's are Crossfired
*** I've tried the game with only one of the GPU's running so eliminate Crossfired GPU issues.

I've been playing other games across my 3 monitors using Eyefinity with no issues for some time now (eg LOTRO runs and displays perfectly maxed out). My system's specs are more than powerful enough, and once i've performed the above mentioned work around the game displays and runs perfectly fine until i load to a new area.

I posted a reply to an archived (necro'd) thread on this forum, but i thought i'd be better creating a brand new one.

Please help me.
Career Officer
# 2
05-16-2013, 09:26 AM
This normally happens to me after doing an Alt-Enter to move from full screen to windowed. Clicking the maximise button instead of alt-enter to return is normally useful to try and avoid this happening.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Empire Veteran
# 3
05-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
This normally happens to me after doing an Alt-Enter to move from full screen to windowed. Clicking the maximise button instead of alt-enter to return is normally useful to try and avoid this happening.
Hey

Thanks for the reply, this thing happens even if i dont Alt-Enter, i can be sat Earth Spacedock with a beautifully crisp image and smooth image across all 3 monitors and without leaving the screen i'll beam up to my ship (space or bridge) and it will be all low res and blurry again.

This is different that the block pixelated mess that is described in the Sticky on the top of this forum. As soon as the game servers are back up i'll snap some screenies.
Empire Veteran
# 4
05-16-2013, 10:45 AM
As promised here are a few examples, in each i have taken a picture both before (low res) and after i have performed the tick/untick half res workaround described above.
(a) = Low Res (b) = Post Workaround

Example 1:
Example 2:
Example 3:
Example 4:
Example 5:
Example 6:
Obviously you can see the differenced more clearly when you view the screen shots in full screen, i've not resized them so they are all in 5896 x 1080

Last edited by brodie0854; 05-16-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 5
05-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Is this on Holodeck, or on Tribble? (or both?)
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Empire Veteran
# 6
05-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Holodeck, not tried it on Tribble.
Patching Tribble now

Last edited by brodie0854; 05-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
05-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Oddly enough this has been the case for me, too. For a long time. On both Holodeck and Tribble. It seems really random when I enter, say, ESD to low resolution. Then moments later the images refresh and are crisp. This is without changing instances.

I'm using Windows Vista 64-bit and ATI Radeon 4800 series. Latest drivers installed.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.
Captain
# 8
05-16-2013, 11:57 AM
I get this too, the backgrounds go from sharp to blurry and back.
ATI Radeon HD 4000 Series
Lieutenant
# 9
05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
It's been happening ever since New Romulus launch. The game's eating a ton of video memory for no reason since then and the only way I've found so far to get around this is to force 1GB+ of video memory usage in the Troubleshooting options of the Video section. It's annoying and even with this workaround things keep shifting between low res and high res. Both on tribble and on holodeck. And it's happening on my laptop as well as on my desktop so it's not limited to a single machine or set of drivers.
Survivor of Romulus
# 10
05-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Anybody else haivng this issue

Seems to be only on faces on tribble