Lt. Commander
# 31
05-16-2013, 02:17 AM
If there's something you really really want thats on the T4/T5 list, i'd suggest putting together a shopping list. Ask around the large fleets and see if there's one that would be willing to let you hop in temporarily to buy what you need, and what they expect as a reasonable contribution in return.

Honestly though, the advanced gear is as good if not better than the elite version in most cases.

If you're really stuck, theres the gear from the reputation system, that is purely individual effort.
Republic Veteran
# 32
05-16-2013, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Unfortunately, I'm a Antiproton user!
And don't even get me started about the Antiproton Mag Regulators.......

Yep, that's pretty much the position I'm in as well.

Everytime I see a project that says Dilithium I cringe!

Even if it's small amounts required, I still have to push myself to donate it!
After all, many small amounts over time will equal a large amount!
i'm in a small fleet of about 5 ppl...2 of whom play daily and contribute to our Fed and KDF starbases and Embassies (almost T3 in both)....Dithithium is no small concern..but on the other hand. i run about 14 toons a day...and Dil is not that big a concern.....you just need decide what is more important for you each day....EC or Dil...and spend them wisely..Doffing is your friend in this endeavor lol
"If everyone used Macs, we'd be working on how to get to Alpha Centauri rather than how to get to Mars."
Empire Veteran
# 33
05-16-2013, 05:22 AM
I run, or should I say ran two smaller fleets. A federation tier 2 fleet and a KDF almost tier 2 fleet. After discussions with out command council my friend had a friend in a larger fleet who was interested in a merger. These guys are fairly large, not huge. 300 members, tier 3 or 4 fleet.

Now most of our contributors prefer the KDF and only play PvE. This other fleet is a Federation only PvP fleet looking to expand into PvE. An arrangement was made where our Federation fleet is going going onto the reserve fleet to allow members to earn extra fleet credits while our members join their fleet to access the higher tier goodies. The reserve fleet is being maintained by a skeleton crew with each of it's founders keeping one character in.

Since they didn't have a KDF fleet our KDF fleet has now become their new KDF fleet. All the fine details are set to finish next week before LoR goes live.

To the OP I suggest depending on the faction your in, try merging with a larger fleet from the opposite faction, who doesn't have a sister fleet on your faction. Then you and your members can put say your Federation characters in their fleet boosting them up and they can put their KDF characters in your fleet. This benefits fits you both and you don't have to abandon your fleet.

Unfortunately like the Rep system people had made their fleets (and characters) before these systems came into place and in many instances devoted a lot of resources and time before realising what a big grind it is.

I often feel like with characters there should be a refund policy, especially for characters that have lock box ships etc on them. So you can get them back if the grind is too much and you decided you want to delete a character. Same could be said for smaller fleets a small refund of just the dilithium so you could go join a larger fleet. I don't suggest anything else as you get the fleet credits out of it anyway so it's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by platewearingbird View Post
I've been in WoW guilds, I'm tired of having to log on and do some **** someone else tells me to do with MY GAME every single day. I want to play when I'm ready to play, and I shouldn't be getting punished by not being in a fleet that's gonna tell me "No, you'll log on when WE tell you or we'll kick".
My son has a Caitian and he wanted to join a all Caitian fleet. He found a fleet and met the leader and was allowed in. He just started to contribute and then missed their silly meetings. My son is 14 years old and lives on the other side of the world to them, plus he has school 5 days a week and so play time is rather limited. He told the fleet leader this which the leader was fine with and was still booted. Booted because he wasn't going to get up at 3am on a school morning to log into an online game to have a chat about some silly nonsense. No wonder that Caitian fleet had people raid their fleet bank and then left, got out before they could be booted out I guess.

There are some real jerks in some of the larger fleets, in some of the smaller ones too. An unfortunate truth. They are in real life so why wouldn't they be found in online gaming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Career Officer
# 34
05-16-2013, 06:28 AM
For the KDF side, I'm not a real big fan of that faction.
Recently, I've discovered that the singular approach (no matter what species you create, you are playing a Klingon) and the gamebreaker bugs are never fixed, no matter how much you ask, beg, plead and cry to Cryptic.
This is why I've made a personal decision to never again create another KDF character.

Also, I sent my one and only KDF to a good friend's fleet to try and help him out.
And judging from their Starbase advancement progress, they're in much the same the boat as we are, a small fleet trying to stay afloat in the big fleet swimming pool.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to your son, that's a pretty harsh treatment!

I've played with younger players in the past and it's been my observation that I prefer being with them then the allegedly mature players, because they're just here for the fun of it, they don't want to fight, argue or have power struggles.

That's also a concern of mine here, unless you've had interaction with a larger fleet (or a smaller one for that matter) for a long time, you have no idea if they're good people or not.
Captain
# 35
05-16-2013, 07:19 AM
For the people that complain about dilithium for starbase progression. Just stick with the projects that require white doffs. Pretty easy to farm those if you can handle the grind.
Captain
# 36
05-16-2013, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho80 View Post
For the people that complain about dilithium for starbase progression. Just stick with the projects that require white doffs. Pretty easy to farm those if you can handle the grind.
That's all well and good. Until you hit a tier upgrade project.
Captain
# 37
05-16-2013, 07:54 AM
To the OP. I joined a small fleet before starbases and earned leadership rank about a year later through suggesting a more fair and balanced approach to ranks and bank permissions. Months ago we got the T3 upgrade for shipyard then for the starbase. This was a bit of a wake up call, it took us best part of 3 weeks to claw together everything we needed and we were grinding marks, doffs, dilithium across over 20 characters daily. I totaled up how much it would be to hit T4, T5 and to finish off the embassy and we realised it just wasn't worth it.

We weren't having fun feeding the monster of a starbase and we would have to do more to get the embassy going. We had 2 choices, recruit more members and hope they actually want to contribute more than fleet marks or join a larger fleet and help them get to T5 with other like minded players. We chose the latter and I'm glad we did.

There will be more holdings added now that most fleets have finished their embassies (confirmed by the devs that a new one is coming) and this will only ramp up costs. My suggestion is the same as others, either have alts in another larger fleet to get access to the higher tier gear, pack it in or recruit more.

Oh and incase you're wondering all active and semi active members followed us to the new fleet and we gifted our old starbase to some friends who had been booted from another very bad fleet after they had contributed millions to projects. It's not an easy decision to make but if you only have a few of you doing the grind you have to ask yourself is it worth it?

A lot of large fleets are not the inhuman blobs of players you think and have a lot to offer in areas of the game you might not be familiar with. You will also find that a good large fleet will look after it's members and get rid of rotten apples very quickly (you know the ones that swear and are quite abusive) as they have a reputation to maintain...though some large fleets have a bad rep in general.
Captain
# 38
05-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
And yes, I am aware that the large fleets (and members of said fleets) are actively roadblocking this proposal.

I'm thinking they're just being egotistical, because they don't want small fleets to achieve T5.
Do you want to know how unfair the system really is? After doing some searching through the forums, I found out that some fleet owners are building two to three fleet bases. Instead of owners being satisfied with building one base, some fleets have decided to construct three of them.

...and, they are recruiting way over 400+ members.

Cryptic should have a mechanism in place, so that fleet owners are only allowed to build one base.
Captain
# 39
05-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
Do you want to know how unfair the system really is? After doing some searching through the forums, I found out that some fleet owners are building two to three fleet bases. Instead of owners being satisfied with building one base, some fleets have decided to construct three of them.

...and, they are recruiting way over 400+ members.

Cryptic should have a mechanism in place, so that fleet owners are only allowed to build one base.
Why would Cryptic limit the number of bases its players can make - especially when they're looking into making a Fleet Alliance system?

I have 15 alts. They're not all in the same Fleet. If people want to spend their time grinding Fleet resources how does that hurt anyone? It's not stopping you from also grinding for resources.

Heretic was quite upfront about the Fleet requirements: 25 players, each playing casually for Fleet resources - defined by Heretic as playing 2-3 times a week for 3 hours. Doing this will get you to T5 in about 7 months. Mathematically that's 150-225 /played hours per week. If you have 5 people doing it then that's 30-45 hours a week for each of them. It's just math: 25 players = 7 months. 12 players equals 14 months. 6 players equals 28 month, if you want to do it casually.

The system is designed for 25 people, and DStahl re-affirmed in the last Ask Cryptic that it will stay designed for 25 people. It's not Cryptic's fault if people want to make Fleets of 1 or 2, nor is there any call for conspiracy theories about larger Fleets intentionally trying to keep smaller Fleets down. It's all just about whether or not the effort is worth the outcome.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 40
05-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Why would Cryptic limit the number of bases its players can make - especially when they're looking into making a Fleet Alliance system?
So, one player is going to build an alliance with the three fleets he or she owns?

Why? What is the point?

Why would Cryptic want a handful of players to have domain over the majority?

Have you noticed how many small fleets have problems with recruiting?

As a result of being allowed to build more than one base, one single player can put together a mega fleet with over 1,200 players (three fleets). 400+ members per fleet. How is that fair? Fleet owners can use chat channels, so they would not have to worry about making alliances. Players who own two to three fleet bases can indefinitely lock up the game's resources and playerbase.

Last edited by linyive; 05-16-2013 at 11:25 AM.