Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,558
# 11
11-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergenera1 View Post
that doesnt matter as much if u can teleport ur target and cc them infront of your cannons in prep for an alpha strike lol.even if u can only do it every 5 min.and on top of that equip a subspace jump console to teleport yourself behind your target lol.
and then, you can wallow and wait while his buddies whale on you for the five minutes it takes (at reduced resistances because your'e NOT going to put it in the Tac slot if you have anything like a brain in your head) for that c-store console to recharge.

and god help you if they come at you from the sides while you're basically stuck mooching along wiht no turn to bring those weapons to bear...

OR if they're hitting you with sci abilities, energy drains, etc. because the rest of that build's console layout is craptastic. It's ONLY useful for stationary targets-like Cubes in CSE, Gates, etc.-things that sling the one-shot death-pea-kill-you-through-shield-and hull superweapons.

i.e. while the bridge map is quite nice, the Bortasque/bortas is about as useful as active, llarge mammaries on a boar hog.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
# 12
05-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomalousx View Post
I think I should explain for refference that in fleet actions I _Always_ get first place. In the past 3 weeks there have been 3 times ( without exageration) That I got second place and all of those were because the server made me join extremely late in the match. This is good refference so that you know that I know a thing or two about how to build a DPS boat.
Winning Fleet Actions is not all about DPS. As long as you have decent damage and stick to only the objective targets you almost sure to get 1st place (unless your paired with other people doing same thing, though most of the STO community is pretty ignorant).


My question is how GOOD are these cannons really? I was contemplating on them or PDS. I know from my experience with them on my klink, PDS can easily rip out 3k DPS for 10 secs.
I mean are they really THAT much better over other MK XII phaser dual heavy cannons?
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,411
# 13
05-16-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote:
My question is how GOOD are these cannons really?
They're slightly better than normal, random drop Mk.XII purples, due to the fact that they get 4 weapon modifiers instead of the normal 3, bringing them in line with Advanced Fleet Weapons. One of the big downsides of those modifiers is, though, that they're [Dmg]x4.

I've parsed a few, prolonged damage cycles between them and the old Omega/Borg DHCs and the difference between them was very, very small. If you're already running fleet weapons, there isn't really much to gain from them, other than the unique visuals and sounds.

Last edited by fraghul2000; 05-16-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,973
# 14
05-16-2013, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bortjinx View Post
One of the main reasons people don't like the quad cannons is that it limits you to using phasers on your ship. Any other weapon type firing at the same time will cause your weapons power to drop. It's not a problem with the quad cannons, but go and take a look at any other energy type cannon out there and they all read something along the lines of '-10 Weapons Power when used with other weapons' or something like that.
WOW, the amount of misinformation in only 3 sentences here is incredible. quad phasers not only drain 10 weapon power as all DHC do, they need additional 10 engine power too.
on top of that they have the worst modifiers for DHC

the only thing they are good for is to level a toon...once you hit max level get rid of them, quickly!
a dmg mod adds 6 dps tp dhc normaly. 1 mark adds about 8 dps that makes quad cannons allways 3 marks above a common DHC. in other words quad cannons are MK XIV common DHC with an extra drain on engine power and a nice effect.
as a comparison advanced fleet DHC are uncommon MK XIV
Go pro or go home
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 127
# 15
05-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Yeah, this entire thread is pretty bad, just like the quad cannons
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,216
# 16
05-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
WOW, the amount of misinformation in only 3 sentences here is incredible. quad phasers not only drain 10 weapon power as all DHC do, they need additional 10 engine power too.
on top of that they have the worst modifiers for DHC

the only thing they are good for is to level a toon...once you hit max level get rid of them, quickly!
a dmg mod adds 6 dps tp dhc normaly. 1 mark adds about 8 dps that makes quad cannons allways 3 marks above a common DHC. in other words quad cannons are MK XIV common DHC with an extra drain on engine power and a nice effect.
as a comparison advanced fleet DHC are uncommon MK XIV

misinformation, lol...

Standard DHC take 12 weapon power, not 10.

Kumari Wing Cannons take 15

Beams and single cannons take 10.

Turrets and the cutting beam take 8.

The more you know...


Edit: I stopped using my Quads because I don't run phasers anymore on my MV (<3 phased polaron) and on my Kumari I liked the all blue look, but the engine drain on the Quad's is actually kinda nice, at least in PvE. It means while I am on an attack run my speed drops slightly, so I keep my target in front of me for longer before I need to change directions. They also particularly rock on a Kumari, as the lesser weapon drain helps to offset the added drain from the wing cannons. I just like the all matching look.
I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!

Vice Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard

Last edited by kimmym; 05-16-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,973
# 17
05-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
misinformation, lol...

Standard DHC take 12 weapon power, not 10.

Kumari Wing Cannons take 15

Beams and single cannons take 10.

Turrets and the cutting beam take 8.

The more you know...


Edit: I stopped using my Quads because I don't run phasers anymore on my MV (<3 phased polaron) and on my Kumari I liked the all blue look, but the engine drain on the Quad's is actually kinda nice, at least in PvE. It means while I am on an attack run my speed drops slightly, so I keep my target in front of me for longer before I need to change directions. They also particularly rock on a Kumari, as the lesser weapon drain helps to offset the added drain from the wing cannons. I just like the all matching look.
i'm curious why you didn't mention the quad fireing animation...it's obvious you are going more after good looks than performance.
after all quad cannons parse at the level of rare [crtD] [crtH] mk XII DHC...ok against npc's, but thats about it
Go pro or go home
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 107
# 18
05-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraghul2000 View Post
They're slightly better than normal, random drop Mk.XII purples, due to the fact that they get 4 weapon modifiers instead of the normal 3, bringing them in line with Advanced Fleet Weapons. One of the big downsides of those modifiers is, though, that they're [Dmg]x4.

I've parsed a few, prolonged damage cycles between them and the old Omega/Borg DHCs and the difference between them was very, very small. If you're already running fleet weapons, there isn't really much to gain from them, other than the unique visuals and sounds.
I dont run fleet weapons and never will. Complete waste IMO. I run Phaser DHCs Accx3 in PVP and Romulan DHCs CrtDx2 in PvE tho I rarely run PvE as the PvE in STO is a joke for the most part as far as challenge wise.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,216
# 19
05-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Quads look and sound cool, which is the only reason to have them.

The math supporting power usage around them is beneficial, but the reality is there are better weapons. And to be honest, all the math in the world is USELESS when you can't pilot your ship.

The pilot is what makes the ship deadly. Not the 'potential' DPS.

Fleet weapons are nice, and reasonable if you're building out a fleet. 25K dil per, vs 30 Million ec per [acc]x3. CritD and H are more useful, and surprisingly hold out in all DPS tests so far.

[borg] < advanced fleet < romulan rep < elite fleet.

When the elite fleet weapons become available to me, I plan to revisit a number of builds primarily so I can re-add these lovelies to my ships with an all phaser build.
HAIL HYDRA! Kirk's Protege 10/26/13 http://www.dtfleet.com

Last edited by ddesjardins; 05-18-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 43
# 20
05-19-2013, 02:50 AM
you also get the quad cannons at 30, and then use them from there on, they level with you and rip everything up nicely.
Romulus burned, untold billions died.
It's the Tal'shiars doing, Sela lied.
Vengeance is born, with eternal scorn.
New Romulus rises.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:04 PM.