Career Officer
I see debates on here a good deal about whether various aspects of the game are "Trek" enough.

You want the answer?

Look here:

http://captainrobertapril.angelfire....ters_Guide.pdf

The Star Trek Writer's Guide from 1967.

Recommended for Foundry authors, anyone with game complaints, and developers.
Commander
# 2
05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Lookin for carriers, brb...
VA Makbure
The 47th Defense Division Special Ops
Career Officer
# 3
05-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Here's the one I'd like more of:
Quote:
The mission of the U.S.S. Enterprise? Isn't it something like
that of, say, English warships at the turn of' the century?

Very close. As you recall, in those days vessels of the
major powers were assigned to sectors of various oceans,
where they represented their government there. Out of
contact with the Admiralty for long periods, the captains
of such vessels had broad discretionary powers in regulating
trade, bush wars, putting down slavery, assisting scientific
investigations and geological surveys, even to becoming
involved in relatively minor items like searching for a lost
explorer or school mistress.
I'd print that out and staple it to three walls of my cubicle. It's easy for me to forget but is key to involving players here, I think.
Commander
# 4
05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

I'd print that out and staple it to three walls of my cubicle. It's easy for me to forget but is key to involving players here, I think.
That's nice and all, but it's not really viable for the game, given the small sector maps and always seeing a hundred other ships around. Not to mention the "blow up six waves of ships to advance the mission" gameplay.

The bar for suspension of disbelief in this situation is too high when those factors are so discordant.
Captain
# 5
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Clearly, the writers of Voyager, Enterprise and JJ's Star Trek never saw that guide.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Career Officer
# 6
05-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Clearly, the writers of Voyager, Enterprise and JJ's Star Trek never saw that guide.
I think TNG, Voyager and Enterprise seriously took this to heart, especially Enterprise where they did not have a set down set of rules like the Prime Directive and Archer had to take into account that he represented all of Earth in the vast unknown. Voyager, more towards when they realized they were stuck out in the middle of no where and had to play friendly with the locals.
Hi, my name is: Elim Garak, Former Cardassian Oppressor

LTS, here since...when did this game launch again?
Captain
# 7
05-16-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhrangerxml View Post
I think TNG, Voyager and Enterprise seriously took this to heart, especially Enterprise where they did not have a set down set of rules like the Prime Directive and Archer had to take into account that he represented all of Earth in the vast unknown. Voyager, more towards when they realized they were stuck out in the middle of no where and had to play friendly with the locals.
I'm thinking more of the admonition to write about people, not tech. Voyager, more than any other show, relied on so much pseudoscientific doubletalk and technobabble that they actually stopped maintaining consistency with both real, known science and previously established Trek science.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

Crafting, Exploration and Interaction as it should be:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1108521
Career Officer
# 8
05-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfofficer View Post
That's nice and all, but it's not really viable for the game, given the small sector maps and always seeing a hundred other ships around. Not to mention the "blow up six waves of ships to advance the mission" gameplay.

The bar for suspension of disbelief in this situation is too high when those factors are so discordant.
Yeah but it goes back to two things:

#1) I'd keep this in mind in an exploration revamp. I still think exploration should launch from the ship interior.

#2) I think missions would be better if the mission givers weren't all back at base/command but were from people who did not outrank us. Just hails from people looking for a hand.
Career Officer
# 9
05-16-2013, 10:07 PM
Very useful stuff. Some of it is definitely more limited to the particulars of their characters and format, but lots of good points remain.

One big take-away is that you should focus on characters, emotions, and action above technical and intellectual details.

Certainly the audience's tolerance for these things has increased since TOS, but it's always a good reminder to keep away from overwhelming with minutae, and instead keep the story relatable and exciting.

Some of the more specific points are a bit dated, though. We've definitely seen Trek go into things like Earth of the future, politics, combined fleet maneuvers, etc. But it was important to stay away from both tropes of the past as well as pitfalls of too much detail that would be boring for viewers.
Career Officer
# 10
05-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post

>insert quote here<

The original Enterprise warship was a french frigate, stolen and redecorated as an english warship. L'Entreprise it was called. that ship only last 2 years according to official records after its capture.

Its no surprise that STO feds and klingons are using ships from other empires or other captains in an original fashion. Sisko did it with the bug ship, kirk did it with the constellation, ect...
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.

Last edited by mirrorchaos; 05-16-2013 at 10:52 PM.