Ensign
# 1 Engine power skills
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM
so what about the "Driver Coil" skill is it useless since warp core literally takes its place?
Career Officer
# 2
05-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Not useless at all as it will continue to work as it does now. The warp cores merely highlight why your starter ships fly slower than the larger, higher ranked ships you get.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Career Officer
# 3
05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
pretty much. Nothing is really changing to driver coil.

Warp cores still have a max of warp 10, same as driver coil, though driver coil now can boost that above. For example, maxed driver coil but a core that allows warp 6.1 can get you up to warp 7.8.

I do believe it still caps at 10 though without borg or maco engines.

ACCESS DENIED
U.S.S. Gipsy Danger | U.S.S. Gunstar | U.S.S. Oswin
R.R.W. Coronatus | R.R.W. Valar Morghulis
Captain
# 4
05-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Based upon my recent tinkering with warp speeds, yes Driver Coil does have an effect. Think of the Warp Core's rating as a base warp rather than the definition of how fast your final numbers will be. Interestingly, MACO and Assimilated Impulse Engines both seem to retain the same resulting Warp speed as currently on Holodeck when using the Warp 10 core. You could, however, just truck about at Warp 10 with no Driver Coil investment.

Of note, however, is the "quality of life" improvement they made alongside this. So far as I can tell, the actual rate of travel has been increased at the various upper (trans)warp speeds. While at low levels and using early warp cores, you do fly rather slowly; there are times when a mission will have you fly across the length of a sector that I truly suggest setting course then hitting the head. Later on, however, you really do feel like you are getting somewhere faster than you do on Holodeck. There is an actual sense of progress as you improve your (trans)warp speed.

I also did notice one other thing that was a neat little bit of detail on the part of the devs. When you are flying the MACO engine, the bonus to speed only applies once the ship establishes the Asynchronous Warp field. The low-warp turn some folks use during Tour pops the little "bubble" around your ship, and you drop down to the standard warp scale. It is a neat little effect, though the new visuals and audio on the MACO can be a bit grating over longer journeys.