Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Captain
# 191
09-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I really dont care at all about how the RNG works it needs to be fixed with far less clumping. Maybe a simple solution is a reward is removed from the list of possible rewards for a short period of time, say 4 hours. I did 4 colony chain assignments for DOFF's at about 30-45 minutes between each with other assignments mixed between them and got the same exact white refugee doff 4 times. And that is again after recieving the same issue from 2 other assignments earlier in the week that i am sure if I ran 4 i would have recieved the same doff 4 times. That should not happen but very rarely and for something like the consoles from childrens toys would be 10x worse to get the same exact bottom quality 4 times in a row.

As for crits, I have yet to recieve any crits clumped together so that poses another factor on the RNG, why does low ql get clumps allot but crits do not clump often?
"I'm drunk, whats your excuse for being an idiot?" - Unknown drunk man.
Captain
# 192
09-01-2013, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwtf View Post
I really dont care at all about how the RNG works it needs to be fixed with far less clumping. Maybe a simple solution is a reward is removed from the list of possible rewards for a short period of time, say 4 hours. I did 4 colony chain assignments for DOFF's at about 30-45 minutes between each with other assignments mixed between them and got the same exact white refugee doff 4 times. And that is again after recieving the same issue from 2 other assignments earlier in the week that i am sure if I ran 4 i would have recieved the same doff 4 times. That should not happen but very rarely and for something like the consoles from childrens toys would be 10x worse to get the same exact bottom quality 4 times in a row.

As for crits, I have yet to recieve any crits clumped together so that poses another factor on the RNG, why does low ql get clumps allot but crits do not clump often?
Perhaps, I was not clear. Clumping is a behavior exhibited by actual uniform distributions. I'm not talking about pseudorandom number generators here, but physical processes like a fair coin toss. In contrast, a coin that alternates between heads and tails (HTHTHTHT...) would have the behavior that you want, but it is definitely not random.

Last edited by frtoaster; 09-01-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 193
09-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwtf View Post
A few pages back the subject of the RNG being an issue, well I know the RNG is not really random. Did 2 of the colony assignments from 2 different colonies, and 30 minutes apart. Got the same exact doff both times a white telerite refugee with the same exact name.

Then doing a foundry farm mission you can see getting the same item twice to three in a row happening with maybe a differance in level or quality. Like getting 3 resiliant shields, 1 MK X, 1 MK XI and another MK XI, 2 green and 1 white.

These kinds of repeats happen enough that it is quite noticeable and I think they need to do some work on the RNG to make it more Random than it is.
I KNOW you didn't just dis Pudo!
I actually have a rare Pudo