Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Romulan Gameplay
Login

Commander
# 101
10-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Ill say it again... Ready? Yes. Rushed? Yes. Done? No. FUBARED A**HAT Game mechanics that shoehorn you into being a minion? F***ing annoying but I dont see them ever undoing all that work no matter how much we want/demand/plead for it. Questionable plot and storyline? Well thats been hashed, rehashed, minced, diced, dissected, given several autopsies, and then hashed again. (thats not to say that the story they gave us is low quality, but very 'not romulan' imo and leaves a bitter taste)
Captain
# 102
10-08-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachikuno View Post
Ill say it again... Ready? Yes. Rushed? Yes. Done? No. FUBARED A**HAT Game mechanics that shoehorn you into being a minion? F***ing annoying but I dont see them ever undoing all that work no matter how much we want/demand/plead for it. Questionable plot and storyline? Well thats been hashed, rehashed, minced, diced, dissected, given several autopsies, and then hashed again. (thats not to say that the story they gave us is low quality, but very 'not romulan' imo and leaves a bitter taste)
You do know they were based off of all things...bajorans i remember reading a thread about it just before or maybe after LoR Launch
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/wraith_011/Youracistbastard.jpg
Career Officer
# 103
10-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorantomalak View Post
You do know they were based off of all things...bajorans i remember reading a thread about it just before or maybe after LoR Launch
that and the Rebel Alliance from star wars
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Starfleet Veteran
# 104
10-17-2013, 07:18 AM
My experience with my first character being Romulan has been good so far.
The lack of a BOFF slot irritated me as I didn't want to get rid of any of the original crew I picked up. I ended up removing Hiven and keeping the rest as I wanted a Vulcan in my crew

Other than that, it was good. To those disappointed as to what the Romulans are here, keep in mind they have been through a lot. The playable Romulans aren't the hardline military types, those are in Sela's Empire and in the Tal Shi'ar.

Of course, your character can be what it wants to be as in any roleplay setting, but the general Republic faction is composed of Romulans who are sick of the Empire and who wants a new home without war to rebuild their people? after all they've suffered when they lost their homeworld. Losing your home and being alone in a galaxy makes you become more modest.

This is similar to the High elves in Blizzard's MMO who went through a similar split. With the High elves changing their ideals, becoming modest and surviving at any cost, while the Blood elves delved deeper in a path of arrogance, becoming more evil and destructive. (Until Wotlk but that's besides the point)

TLDR, the Romulan work for what they are, and their gameplay experience is very fun, although they do not feel like a proper faction, they may feel like one in the future as more content is added.
Commander
# 105
10-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by enoemg View Post
However, everything else seems horribly downgraded from the other two factions, from uniforms (major bugs, can't even get my Romulan to look good without using the default Republic Uniform) to Bridge Officers like Tovan (the Wesley Crusher of the Romulan Republic) being bugged.
There are certainly bugs and other problems but I think they did a great job with Romulan uniforms. There aren't as many options as for the other factions but the 3 (?) romfed uniforms can be made to look amazing if you fiddle with the colours and combinations. And you can add some variety by giving a little nod to your federation buddies and colour theming your boff uniforms by career.
Ensign
# 106
10-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi everyone,
For what that's worth I just played STO last night as a Romulan, first STO gaming session since about 6 weeks after release, and I had a blast.

I really thought that the starting story line and the first few hours of game play for the Romulan faction were awesome in comparison to what I experienced in other two factions at launch.

Keep in mind though that I am a very casual player so a lot of things that might might bother others don't bother me.
Captain
# 107
10-19-2013, 09:24 AM
I just started playing the Romulan faction yesterday and so far, I'm actually quite enjoying it. I don't see why people hate Tovan, though. He's a little snarky, yes, but he has a personality and all, so he's quite okay in my books.

Right now, my only gripe is that choosing ships for your chosen faction is actually quite limited: Romulan ships are free, but you can only choose Fed/KDF ships either by pouring in Dilithium (which you really don't have at that point) or hoping you have a C-Store-bought ship on hand.
Republic Veteran
# 108
10-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofasternow View Post
I don't see why people hate Tovan, though. He's a little snarky, yes, but he has a personality and all, so he's quite okay in my books.
You really should not have said that. Now the haters will be only too happy to repeat their excuses (and don't we already have more than enough threads devoted to the topic of hatred for Tovan without yet another getting usurped as a soapbox for that?).

If you would like to know what the haters have to say, pick one of the five or six (I'm not exaggerating! and I think there are even more than that; that's just the number of threads I can think of that are devoted to the subject off the top of my head after just waking up and having only one cup of tea so far) threads on the subject and read (I suggest the one with the title "New reason to want to kill Tovan Khev," since a few voices of sanity have attempted to talk sense there, at least in the earlier pages).

Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) ~(‾.▿.‾)~ Tal'Diann (Romulan Military Intelligence)
The saying "There are no women on the internet" is sexist nonsense. We do exist, and we also play MMOs. Do not misgender me; I am female.
Captain
# 109
10-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofasternow View Post
I just started playing the Romulan faction yesterday and so far, I'm actually quite enjoying it. I don't see why people hate Tovan, though. He's a little snarky, yes, but he has a personality and all, so he's quite okay in my books.
Near as I can tell, player customization is the root of the problem:

-- Feds and Klinks can choose their entire boff list. Feds don't have to use Corspa if they want to create a particular theme or RP for their ship. I used her, but I used the customization options to make her my own. Klinks don't have to use whatever their tutorial boffs are called. Pointy-ears are stuck with Tovan, having to write their backstory around his rather than the other way around. Want an all-Reman crew? Too ****ing bad: you've got an unremovable Romulan first officer.
-- Tovan is buggy, on top of the department heads bug that LOR introduced. If you don't have him slotted for the above reason, he frequently reslots himself or appears in missions even when he isn't physically there.
-- Initially Tovan wasn't even customizable in appearance.

Hence him being, in the haters' minds, the STO equivalent of Neelix and/or Wesley.
Vadm. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer

Last edited by starswordc; 10-19-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Commander
# 110
10-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurluas View Post
Other than that, it was good. To those disappointed as to what the Romulans are here, keep in mind they have been through a lot. The playable Romulans aren't the hardline military types, those are in Sela's Empire and in the Tal Shi'ar.
This for me has never been the issue. I'll repeat what I've said in other posts here but, while it's true that I wanted a true faction, complete with fleets and starbases, whether they are Tal Shiar antagonist Roms or D'Tan's New Romulus Epohh Hugging Hippy Brigade is neither here nor there. In fact, given JJ's silly plot device (why couldn't Nero have been from Narendra III? Or Hobus II?), I think Cryptic did a remarkable job to build a story for the Romulans from what was left for them.

The most common arguments that I've seen as reasons why a full 3rd faction could not and did not happen are, among others:

People not wanting to start their fleets over again, something that I can understand as it takes a long time and a lot of effort, but it's also something which more than just a handful of people went ahead and did anyway, so that is kind of a moot point, and if they had been made a full faction and this were the only issue with Romulans, I doubt there would be many threads saying 'make Roms sub-faction minions of Fed/KDF.

The whole diluting the player base argument. This would stand and I would totally agree with this if it wasn't for the fact that PvP is supposed to be going cross faction 'soon (TM)' and the fact that most of the endgame content is cross faction anyway. Plus, if you log in and wander around the map, you can't possibly come back and tell me that not enough people are playing as Romulans to warrant a change in this respect.

So, assuming PvP does go cross faction at some point, I'm left wondering where this supposed dilution of the player base would have occurred. The only real place I can think of where a level 50 character might encounter problems in this regard would be the fleet actions, as has been a problem for the KDF in the past and the 'lessons they learned from that' are the supposed reason they made the subfaction move in the first place. Why didn't they fix the problem with the KDF instead and kill two birds with one stone? Thus improving the queue wait times for KDF and making all the players that, sad as it may seem to some, had been waiting 3 years for Roms very happy in the process - or rather, not irritating them with weak and often rather transparent excuses.

The bottom line is that it was a business decision. It just sounded better to sell it as a gameplay issue. *edit* I also resent having my intelligence insulted by the 'liaison' system sold as being better than having a full faction. *edit*

Wanted: 200,000 Dilithium Special Feature Projects for Romulan skinned Fleet Holdings.

Last edited by carasucia83; 10-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.