Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Starfleet Veteran
# 81
09-12-2014, 12:45 PM
I believe the issue is that Cryptic, as an extension of Perfect World, views the players, their customers, only as metrics. Metric data will tell that the longer a user remains engaged with your application, the more likely they are to spend money. Largely an accurate analysis. With the decline in time that PC gamers are spending on their games lately, I believe they had to come up with a method to keep their customers engaged for longer periods of time, if nothing more than to appease the share holders.

The problem with this Zynga style approach, by making things more tedious and time consuming for the players in the hopes that they'll spend money, is that they don't offer an alternative. With Facebook or iOS games that require you to click here, click there, wait for four hours, click again is that they offer a means to bypass that by injecting currency into the game. Cryptic redesigned the DOFF system to be more time consuming, but neglected to take advantage of the monetization opportunity. The likely result that they'll see is that people may spend LESS money, as they'll spend too much of their gaming time doffing and opt to bypass other areas where money may be involved.

It's a gamble, and I'm not so sure it'll pay off, in THIS metric's opinion.
Captain
# 82
09-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Still no changes in the Delta Rising code branch on Tribble...
--------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========--------------
>>>CLICK HERE FOR GEAR UPGRADE COST REFERENCE TABLE<<<
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>Check out my redesign concept images<<
>Bob's Big Giant UI QoL Thread<