Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I really would like to see that we get the ability to upgrade ships to higher ranks.

I would like to be able to upgrade a constitution up to admiral rank if i want to.

Some would say...why?

Because you would have more diverse ships flying around. You would see more than just Sovreigns flying around in the end (althou i love the Sovreign)

An you would give the players to keep the ship they love the most until the bitter end.

A system that would work is that you pay resources to upgrade a ship to the next tier (given you have the Rank your ship should be). Then the ship get's same amount and grade of consols and weapon slots as native ship would have in this tier. Even HP/turn rate should be upgrade.

In the end we would have a greater mix of ships flying around and every player would be happy.

I suppose there are players who would like to fly the Ambassador (not yet in game) on Admiral Rank.

Or the Defiant on Admiral....or maybe even a Constitution

Orrrr even the Miranda...i like the Miranda somehow but she is a bit useless..sadly a plain starter ship

Upgrading would make more sense to keep older ships than it has now

Please add your comments and bear with me if you share the same opinion or maybe an even better
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-03-2010, 02:17 AM
There are 9 different kinds of tier 5 ships per type (3 escorts, 3 cruisers and 3 science ships).

If the other tier 5 ships (or are they tier 6? not sure on this), such as the Star Cruiser, are also available, that makes 18 different kinds of ships.

That means preset classes, which are in turn fully customizable. That leaves many different kinds of ship configurations.

I understand where you're coming from, but you won't be seeing only Sovereigns at level 41+ (or the same science ships or escorts for that matter) because people will change the look. It is true that the degree to which this is possible is somewhat limited by the customization options, but still. I fly a heavy cruiser at the moment, and many people I've seen so far went for a compact look. I on the other hand wanted my ship to be longer, so I picked different parts and now have a cruiser that appears a tad bigger than some other configurations.

Also, keep in mind that even in Trek canon, the Miranda is simply a far less sophisticated ship than the Sovereign. Upgrading one to rival a Defiant class or better seems a bit odd. You can also see Galaxy class and Miranda class ships fall prey to enemy weapons fire in the DS9 shows pretty easily.

I'm not 100% decided on this, but I am leaning heavily towards a "good idea, but not truly Trek".
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-03-2010, 02:19 AM
good idea, i already tought about it keeping my defiant class starship on admiral rank, just to have fun... but upgrading it ? sure !
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-03-2010, 02:28 AM
With what you can customize from ship to ship i have in mind and the point of me saying there will only be sovreigns in the end can't be taken 100%. Just wanted to make my point a bit clearer.

Even with the customization options you get a generall basic look to some extend. No the Star Cruisers are also T5..Assault and Star Cruiser just have a diffrent layout of console slots..same with the other 2 classes. Depends what you favor more.

But see it from this point...you have a large battle...everyone admiral...and you really have a diverse fleet like in the movies from mirandas, defiants, Nebulas(not in game), Ambassadors (no in game),Galaxy,Sovreign, Excalibur,Intrepids.

Just from the picture it would be Trek

That's the point in the whole topic.

In war times like in Star Trek you would see every ship that is to fight huge battles because you need every ship and every captain out there. But if you at some point have raids in the game...oh well...this is still an MMO..you would say to a poor soul...nah..you can't come with us to battle xy enemy in your miranda or constitution...it may be war but your not powerfull enough...in Star Trek itselfe such things wouldn't count...but in MMO's it's just like this...i just wanted to find a way past this all to get it to be more Trek in the end

And a little addition in the end: I have never seen a Trek Movie where only the best ships where flying in fleets together...it was always a mixture from top to bottom.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePryde View Post
But see it from this point...you have a large battle...everyone admiral...and you really have a diverse fleet like in the movies from mirandas, defiants, Nebulas(not in game), Ambassadors (no in game),Galaxy,Sovreign, Excalibur,Intrepids.

Just from the picture it would be Trek

That's the point in the whole topic.
And I do see that point. I'm just saying those other types of ships will be weaker, just like in Trek. If you're an admiral and want to fly a Miranda or Defiant, by all means. I just don't think they dish out the same damage, or can take the same punishment as the top of the line ships.

Just as in Trek.

And that was my point, it'd be great if it were Trek as you described it, but you can't have it both ways, that would violate canon. The diverse fleet has my vote, the Miranda dishing out the damage of a Defiant does not.

That's why I'm torn on this topic
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-03-2010, 02:38 AM
As for your edit, yeah, the elitists are gonna shun you if you come along in a Miranda. On the one hand I can understand that, on the other, who cares. If there's a whole fleet of ships no one's gonna miss some DPS.

Besides, weapons are limited to your captain's rank, not the type of ship (excluding weapons that are intended for escorts for example), so you can still have a miranda with good phasers, quantum torpedoes, you name it. There's just fewer slots for those weapons and BOF powers. Problem would mostly be the energy ouput of your warp core...

Personally I think raids can be adjusted in difficulty to accommodate this, make them not require state of the art ships, fully loaded and BOF's fully trained. Or make a normal raid and a hard version of it, I dunno :|
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-03-2010, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
And I do see that point. I'm just saying those other types of ships will be weaker, just like in Trek. If you're an admiral and want to fly a Miranda or Defiant, by all means. I just don't think they dish out the same damage, or can take the same punishment as the top of the line ships.

Just as in Trek.

And that was my point, it'd be great if it were Trek as you described it, but you can't have it both ways, that would violate canon. The diverse fleet has my vote, the Miranda dishing out the damage of a Defiant does not.

That's why I'm torn on this topic
I too get your point and it's very much valid

Edit: But maybe we can cover upgrading behind the fact that...it's the future..we have the possibiliy..we write a new part in trek history Don't know what would work best...it's a coin with 2 sides..we can't have both..your right
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keadin View Post
As for your edit, yeah, the elitists are gonna shun you if you come along in a Miranda. On the one hand I can understand that, on the other, who cares. If there's a whole fleet of ships no one's gonna miss some DPS.

Besides, weapons are limited to your captain's rank, not the type of ship (excluding weapons that are intended for escorts for example), so you can still have a miranda with good phasers, quantum torpedoes, you name it. There's just fewer slots for those weapons and BOF powers. Problem would mostly be the energy ouput of your warp core...

Personally I think raids can be adjusted in difficulty to accommodate this, make them not require state of the art ships, fully loaded and BOF's fully trained. Or make a normal raid and a hard version of it, I dunno :|
Would be a possibility I would also like to see that we can bypass the typical "you have to have this gear/ship/crew" to get into a raid
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-03-2010, 03:14 AM
I have a rather good explanation that would fit into canon if we could upgrade ships to higher tiers.

We atleast have seen upgrades that have been made to the constitution in the past..From the first basic to the Enterprise A

Althou no one ever said it the Sovreign was upgraded between First Contact and Nemesis with additional weapon slots ( i've proven this in another topic)

So both things are possible in canon and given it's the future a Constitution Hull could hold more phaser banks and torp launchers. She also got a better warp core in the past. From the very basic look of it we could do so in generall in STO. For a moment let's not think about size difference and where to find all this space for upgrades It's the future..we can just do it
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-03-2010, 03:30 AM
The Sovereign has received several overhauls, yes, though it wasn't mentioned in the movies. I also believe the Sovereign and Galaxy class starships run on similar warp cores. The fact that a Sovereign is a warship and the Galaxy isn't is because the latter was designed for on-board research, a school, diplomatic accommodations, you name it. Apparently if you strip all the non-combat stuff and put in new weapons, a Galaxy class can be converted into a pretty decent warship.

With that in mind it is conceivable that a Constitution class, which was also designed with many functions in mind, could be stripped of all non-combat accommodations, outfitted with a more recent warp core (though likely not the same type that powers the Galaxy class) and pack more of a punch.

Frankly I believe the biggest problem is power. STO is set in a time of war so it is conceivable that at least the player ships are designed around combat. What could work is if STO took an approach similar to Starfleet Command III. You can install a larger warp core if you so choose. This will be at the expense of some other systems, but generally speaking it was possible to fly a Defiant into the endgame. There are limits to what can be done though, there's no way in hell a Constitution class can sport similar performance to a Sovereign, if only because it is physically too small to accommodate all that weaponry. But yes, it could be upgraded to at least be more viable...

I have to say, this has become an interesting topic
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 AM.