Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 03:39 AM
I think there is already far too much customization available. What military (which is what Star Fleet has become) makes up custom vehicles for every officer? Even if they whine a lot or pout. "You want a pink and green tank with tail fins, go find another line of work."

Smaller (low-rank) ships simply don't have the space or power capacity to be ungraded. Where would you put the extra consoles (and suipporting electronics)? There is only a limited number of cubic meters. You may wish to put a really large engine in your small car, but get a grip: You can't.

Star Trek isn't fantasy. It has a basis in projected scientific reality (with excessive techo-babble added in).

I must admit to having the same problem with the non-uniformity of uniforms.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 03:59 AM
Sounds good to me. That's a rather interessting point The size would be a problem that we sadly can't overlook but the "it's war" part is a very good point.

Atleast we could push older designs a bit up to be able to fly besides more modern designs without having a to big difference in power.

The current difference between Sovreign and Constitution would be 2 slots for and 2 slots aft. If we could upgrade the Constitution she would benefit from the higher rank bonus making her more usefull.

I somehow would like to see more slots in generall....like in SFC....more options to fine tune a ship. And to better overlock what's going on...all those numbers and skill tabs are a bit confusing atm. A new warp core would somehow clearly give you the picture what it does...a new armor piece in a armor slot would make it logical (more than putting it into an engineering slot)...same with maybe other parts

But the size problem can be overcome a bit. How about we blow the Constitution a bit up with each upgrade...in the end to the size of a Sovreign. If i'm not mistaken we can see such similar process in Trek.

Size is somehow in generall a bit confusing. If you take the Prometheus..her size is about 415m..her firepower and armament matches nearly the Sovreign. She's shorter than the Excelsion (467m). And how did we punch so many slots into the Defiant Class..she's only sweet 170.68m long The other measurments in width,height aren't much diffrent in comparison

Starfleet tends to ignore size at some points

At some point we wouldn't break the rules....not more than trek did up till now
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardalo View Post
I think there is already far too much customization available. What military (which is what Star Fleet has become) makes up custom vehicles for every officer? Even if they whine a lot or pout. "You want a pink and green tank with tail fins, go find another line of work."

Smaller (low-rank) ships simply don't have the space or power capacity to be ungraded. Where would you put the extra consoles (and suipporting electronics)? There is only a limited number of cubic meters. You may wish to put a really large engine in your small car, but get a grip: You can't.

Star Trek isn't fantasy. It has a basis in projected scientific reality (with excessive techo-babble added in).

Can't deny your point from a realistic point

Just want to "upgrade" the experience for everyone If someone chooses not to customize it would be good as anything else. I just have the strong feeling that more possibilities are going hand to hand with more sucess
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 05:21 AM
What about instead of being able to make it the same as the different tiers we try something a little different. Say at Lt 5 and every 10 levels you can upgrade one ship of the same tier or lower. I.E. Tier 1 upgrade could only be used on the Miranda and the Tier 2 could be used only on the Miranda or Excalibur. The upgrade would give a 10% boost in stats since I seem to remember that the difference between each tier is about 20%.

It would then give you a choice to do one of the following.
Add one weapons slot fore or aft (max 4 fore and aft)
Add a bridge station (max 2 of each)
Promote a bridge station one rank, up to one rank below you (max Commander)
Add a console upgrade slot (max 4 of each)

This gives you a total of 5 upgrades and would allow you to keep a favorite ship upgraded to be mildly competitive but inferior to the ships of the tier. For example you could take Constitution with 4 upgrades and add 2 weapons for a 3/3 layout, promote you Lt Eng to a LtC and add an Ens Tac station. I don't think this would be overpowered personally since it still wouldn't be as good as a Tier 5 but updates it to be a bit more competitive and allows you to personalize your ship a bit more.

Thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 05:30 AM
As much as I like the idea it seems antithetical to the entire system we have now. With that said, I'm not against the idea as much as I simply dont see it happening. I think it would be real nice to be able to add extra stations to a favored ship but shields and armor should be restricted to say 75% of the next level or something along that order.
Lt. Commander
# 16 upgrade; what is that
02-03-2010, 05:37 AM
hehe I could upgrade; accordign to my rank; but sheesh; I lack the energy to do so; cant buy gear; cant buy ship or devices; I must be the poorest federation guy around; oh; guess not; we dont have money; just one big happy family of haves and have nots; all that wealth and upgrades available and cant get any of it; sheesh; can see why the Orion's are pirates.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardalo View Post

I believe in later years of the Dominion war Starfleet Corps of Engineers were creating kit bash ships. Containing different variations based on what resources they had available. So it is easily explainable that the ships would all possibly look different. So upgrading is good.

I must agree with the original poster in this thread, I too am worried that after a year all you will see in this game are high end ships and lots of them and very few low end ships
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 06:09 AM
We are fortunate that we have a bit of customizability and won't be running around in the same gear like some other elfish MMO's around.

But given the fact that customization is nice, the basic part is nearly the same. Take a constitution and try to customize her...it will still have it's basic shape..same with a Galaxy or Sovreign.

Sure it's easier to tell this way what grad someone has by just looking at it but in the end we have similar ships floating around on the same tier.

I personally find it better to use those different designs and push them up till the highest rank...it really is nicer to look at, gives everyone the ability to have he's beloved ship and give us a more trek feel in high end battles.

We could easily adjust the names above ships to have different colors and badges to easily tell what rank of ship it is.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePryde View Post
A system that would work is that you pay resources to upgrade a ship to the next tier (given you have the Rank your ship should be). Then the ship get's same amount and grade of consols and weapon slots as native ship would have in this tier. Even HP/turn rate should be upgrade.
I support this! Would add a great deal of variety in the long term, and motivation to get even more alternative ships to choose from!