Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 04:09 AM
Delazure

Nice ideas that got me thinking

How about a set of dedicated exploration skills that use exploration points.
Random spawns eg you find a Derelict space craft on you travels and scan it a window pop ups "you have found unknown technology" and has button to inform Memory Alpha.

Early on you just get exploration points and some vendor trash but as you exploration skills increase finding these items opens up missions and mini games with better rewards.

This is just a rough idea and I agree exploration is an important part of the lore
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 04:16 AM
Well, if you look back as far as the 1980's you'll find that Frontier Developments (David Braben's company) mapped out the entire galaxy in a game that came on a couple of 1.44" floppy disks...

Yes they used procedural generation but space in "Frontire" and "Elite: First Encounters" really did feel VAST and INTIMIDATING. And they had atmospheric flight. On any planet. Suns, binary stars... countless thousands of complete star systems with planets, moons and asteroids. It was awesome.

If only STO had done that...

P.S: I beleive Elite 4 is in the workes (finally after about 17 years of speculation) and it may be an MMORPG. This is the only game that might pull me off STO.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Well, to continue this interesting thread on a positive note, we know that Cryptic is working on exploration. It seems that they want to add more non combat gameplay in it. This is a good move if you ask me because we know that the more action driven players want to be able to play 100% fast paced combats whenever they please. If non combat elements are mainly concentrated in the star clusters, no one will stumble upon diplomacy or scientific research unless he/she wants to.

Sources :

Jack Emmert said in his last chat that Cryptic will implement diplomacy and minigames
Quote:
Guest-1297: Do you plan to add non-combat gameplay elements in the game, like minigames or a diplomacy system ?
Jack-Cryptic: Yes.
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Gaming/...ipt/td-p/91426

Zinc said on Storadio that Cryptic will add more non combat in the star clusters

http://www.mmojunkies.tv/2010/01/28/...y-mmo-junkies/
Direct download : http://mmojunkies.podbean.com/mf/web...radioshow8.mp3 (@48mn25)

He said it again in an interview by MMORPG website :

Quote:
Many open beta players have complained that the missions are repetitive. Why is this, and is more variation planned in the near future?
STO Team:

We definitely have plans for more exploration and more diplomatic missions. Also more fleet actions will be included. There are a lot of things that we are looking to add in the game that gives it great variation and different styles of gameplay. One of the things people have been talking a lot about is more interaction on your ship, so that is one thing we're looking at now.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...Interview.html
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Taron
Yes I think this would help : a set of skills including for instance :
  • science to analyze the datas (could be the existing skills)
  • sensors specialization helping to find rare stuff
  • diplomacy allowing certain things during first contacts / negociations with alien species

Maybe they can add exploration related gear as well :
  • better tricorders (increase your chances to find things)
  • better sensors (same in space)
  • better universal translator / database etc etc (make better first contacts)

MMOs always offer zillion of different items for combat and to buy / upgrade / combine them is part of the fun. Exploration gear could have a few different pieces of gear too, it would allow the game to grow, give players different things to do etc...

As for the "loots", I, for one, wouldn't mind if they were only lore related informations and cosmetic items (nice archeological chef-d'oeuvre for your ready room ). I agree that aside from that, they shouldn't break game balance but frankly who wouldn't agree with that ? I can't possibly imagine Cryptic giving you the Omega particule phasers bank because you stumbled upon it on some crappy barren planet.

Anyway, there's room for improvement in exploration and I'm pleased to see that many players are interested in that aspect of the game.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Taron
Delazure

Nice ideas that got me thinking

Random spawns eg you find a Derelict space craft on you travels and scan it a window pop ups "you have found unknown technology" and has button to inform Memory Alpha.

Early on you just get exploration points and some vendor trash but as you exploration skills increase finding these items opens up missions and mini games with better rewards.

This is just a rough idea and I agree exploration is an important part of the lore
I agree with this completely!!! I think all of us should in some way contribute to the general knowledge of the entire federation... and all those pieces are put together by memory alpha and the scientists and researchers, and then every so often they come out with alerts or news bulletins about what has been discovered thanks to all the discoveries of all the starships in the federation
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VainEldritch View Post
Well, if you look back as far as the 1980's you'll find that Frontier Developments (David Braben's company) mapped out the entire galaxy in a game that came on a couple of 1.44" floppy disks...

Yes they used procedural generation but space in "Frontire" and "Elite: First Encounters" really did feel VAST and INTIMIDATING. And they had atmospheric flight. On any planet. Suns, binary stars... countless thousands of complete star systems with planets, moons and asteroids. It was awesome.

If only STO had done that...

P.S: I beleive Elite 4 is in the workes (finally after about 17 years of speculation) and it may be an MMORPG. This is the only game that might pull me off STO.
I agree again completely! I played elite 3: first encounters. Being able to land on any planet on ANY PART OF THE PLANET, was pretty much the best thing EVER. It was the single most enjoyable game of my childhood. Nothing ever was quite like it, and I've been searching for something like it ever since. I spent countless nights imagining I was really traveling through space on my trade routes from earth to alpha centauri. I really hope elite 4 is going to be everything its pre-quels were. And I'm sure STO can try to add something like that, so the universe doesn't seem to be so small. The problem is there is no procedural generation. Pretty much every environment looks handmade. And there's a limit too how much you can have in a game when you do that. To make the universe seem vast... you NEED to have the computer/server make new environments for you that seem like they were there all along.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delazure View Post
Yes I think this would help : a set of skills including for instance :
  • science to analyze the datas (could be the existing skills)
  • sensors specialization helping to find rare stuff
  • diplomacy allowing certain things during first contacts / negociations with alien species

Maybe they can add exploration related gear as well :
  • better tricorders (increase your chances to find things)
  • better sensors (same in space)
  • better universal translator / database etc etc (make better first contacts)

MMOs always offer zillion of different items for combat and to buy / upgrade / combine them is part of the fun. Exploration gear could have a few different pieces of gear too, it would allow the game to grow, give players different things to do etc...

As for the "loots", I, for one, wouldn't mind if they were only lore related informations and cosmetic items (nice archeological chef-d'oeuvre for your ready room ). I agree that aside from that, they shouldn't break game balance but frankly who wouldn't agree with that ? I can't possibly imagine Cryptic giving you the Omega particule phasers bank because you stumbled upon it on some crappy barren planet.

Anyway, there's room for improvement in exploration and I'm pleased to see that many players are interested in that aspect of the game.
Agree items should be exploration orientated.

Would also like items that negate or lessen the effects of places like the Celes nebula.

Its good to see that players are taking an intrest in improving exploring.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 05:49 AM
I have to say that this is and has been my biggest issue since the beginning of closed beta. To me, Star Trek is first and foremost about exploration, and I was hoping this might be one of the first MMOs to really embrace that type of gameplay. Unfortunately, its just a questing game, and while thats not a terrible thing in and of itself, there are games that do that better, so if I want to quest, I'll play one of those.

If exploration ever gets a revamp or focus in STO, I'll really consider coming back, until then, its simply not worth my money.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
exactly. We didn't become trek fans because every episode they would patrol 10 systems and kill every single enemy ship without even TRYING to hail them. I mean what is that? That's not star trek. It's about exploration, FIRST AND FOREMOST! Everything else is just icing on the cake. I would REALLY love some options that let you be able to hail the enemy ship and try to find a solution before just going in there and blowing them to bits. That's not star trek... at least that's not federation.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 11:21 PM
I really think STO needs to take a page from this game as far as procedural generation goes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinit...uest_for_Earth

200 billion star systems. that's what i'm talking about.