Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway
Login

Lt. Commander
It's my intention in this thread to provide Cryptic with my opinions and ideas for the Character Creator. I'm a huge fan of characters and character development and as Trek is about diversity amongst many cultures I think that this is also an important thing for the game (especially with so many people playing - variety is good!)

Ideas for Future Preset Races - Starfleet

The first two options comes directly from the lead character designer in this article. http://www.rarityguide.com/articles/...ist/Page1.html

1. Caitians (confirmed 1st post-launch by aforementioned article)
2. Tellarites (confirmed 2nd post-launch by aforementioned article - should have been preset by launch IMO.)

Now I will go on with ideas for future playable races on the Federation side. I had a longer list originally but I am going to choose the races that are more visually different. There's no sense of putting a list of like 40 races.. I doubt anything that immense will ever get done. Nevertheless here they are.

3. Cardassian (Federation is currently allied with the Detapa Council - Dual Citizenship as well)
4. Denobulan
5. Android
6. Hologram
7. Talaxian (Suffice it to say if you like him or not, Neelix and the Talaxians are a big thing on Voyager)
8. Rigelian (The ones with the green faces from Enterprise - not the birds)
9. Zakdorn
10. Antican
11. Selay
12. Grazerite
13. Ithenite
14. Coridan
15. Antedean
16. Edosian (Lt. Arex from TAS)
17. Xindi-Primate
18. Xindi-Arboreal
19. Xindi-Reptilian
20. Xindi-Insectoid

I'm actually going to force myself to stop there as that's a pretty hefty list as it is. I do think that every few months that Cryptic could release a species or two. Most either have slightly remodelled heads or forehead pieces. There are some, that would purely just be awesome to have cause they look different.

In an effort to prevent this post to be too long (since I know 'walls of text' are discouraged I am going to do the next part in a seperate post.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 03:35 AM
Foreheads, Noses & Ears

There are a ton of these missing. As already mentioned, most of the forehead pieces that are currently in-game belong to races from the Delta Quadrant.

With that being said there are quite a few races that could still be put into the game such as the Romulan forehead, Takaran facial features, Zakdorn, Bynars, Elaysians, etc. TONS of races to choose from simply from the Alpha and Beta Quadrants that are just not in the game sadly enough.

I strongly recommend for Cryptic to look at the following link.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Alph...adrant_species

Hairstyles

The hairstyles, like the foreheads are severely lacking. Especially for some of the alien foreheads. Some of them just don't go well together.

During closed beta and open beta I put up a graphics list of hairstyles that could or should be in the game at some point in time. Again, variety is key. There are tons of characters that end up looking the same either because of not enough alteratation in the facial features or simply because people aren't able to alter them enough to start with (speficially the eyes).

Though I didn't add it to the images, they should definitely add the Captain Picard and EMH hairstyles to the game.

Humans 1
Humans 2
Humans 3
Humans 4
Humans 5
Humans 6
Humans 7
Aliens 1
Aliens 2
Klingons
Orions & Nausicaans
Cardassians
Romulans

I think though it's awesome for Cryptic to add new content, character appearances in its current state will get old really quickly. At least, to me, I know Cryptic can add to what they currently have and I hope that by knowing so many people play the game, that they will expand it both inwardly and by also adding new content post-launch.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Nice work and very thoughtful - I particularly agree with the hairstyle stuff - the choice of women's hair sucks! My character has long hair and the only choices I get are one long style or a ponytail! Would love to gradually see new species introduced over time and the selection mentioned above would be kewl.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree, but take out the Androids and put in a *pair* of Binars and you'll have a good, more than good, great vision for cryptic, you DaVinci of STO...
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 01:45 PM
You forgot the Xindi from "Enterprise." That's five species right there!

Although I doubt you'd ever be able to implement the Aquatics, they're stuck in their ginormous fishtanks...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMatterFan007
You forgot the Xindi from "Enterprise." That's five species right there!

Although I doubt you'd ever be able to implement the Aquatics, they're stuck in their ginormous fishtanks...
I'm a huge fan of the Xindi and I'd love for them to be in there, especially the Insectoids.. but that's something I guess for a wait and see.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 12:43 AM
After looking at my initial list of 20 I decided to remove a few rew races and add the Xindi (for their distinctive looks).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 06:39 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has commented on this thread considering there isn't a whole lot in the Character Creator right now.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 07:16 AM
Awesome post, i for one totally agree with you. There is a huge need for more diversity in the game. Id love to see even more choice in the character creation screens aswell as alot more playable races i really do think this would bring in more players and keep the attentions of those already playing.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 07:52 AM
/bump

Great Work, hope Cryptic can use some of these ideas.