Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocharni View Post
that is one of the funniest thing i read in quite a while ...
you believe in santa claus aswell ?

In fact he IS right.

Ocharni, have you been to Germany ? They do not commonly use Visa/mastercard/amercian express. Thez have a national system called EC (Electronik Geld) which basically works in Germany and sometimes in neighbouring countries.

I know taht for a fact, being french, where visa is widly used, it is a nightmare to buy something expensive in Germany, one usually needs to have the cash !

So well it is possible that he does not own a credit card that could be use to pay on the cryptic website.

He could still use paypal though.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius183
I've seen this problem come up time and again. And i've been thinking about it. This seems to be the only MMO i've played that needs a credit card to play the FREE TIME you get for buying the game cept fo CO. Eve didn't do it WOW certainly didin't. And the others are so far back i just ca't remember. So why does cryptic need it to allow people to play the free time they get with the box???
j/k right? Every MMO you named did it and every mmo I have ever seen released has done it. You even needed a cc for EQ/AC and when these games were released not everyone got approved for CC's. Shoot I remember there was even a Check box that you could mail a void check to sony for your free 30 days.... Be happy you didn't have to do that!
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-03-2010, 03:58 AM
This one was kind of funny to read. Anytime you purchase a game that is online use only you will have to provide a credit card number no matter what. That is even if you get the free however many days trial. Personally I hate the Star Trek shows with a passion from having to watch them so much when I was a child, but You know people can use the 30 days see if they like it and if they do crap pay the $299.00 USD for the lifetime deal. In my opinion that is so much cheaper.

Now to the person that decided to post a stupid thread starter REMEMBER you have to use a credit card or paypal account that is in YOUR NAME or someone that will let you use their information!
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3xter View Post
Wut... look a fanboy response, haven't seen one of those before...

And actually he's right, they should just let you play for the full 30 days from code activation and when the timer goes to 0 you get disconnected/your account blocked and THEN they should ask you for payment (gamecards/CC/whatever).

That would be the most logical and smoothest way for the consumer but I guess "because everyone does" it seems like an alright response too...

And why does everyone do it? Because they hope that even if you want to stop playing or whatever you might be a few hours or a day late realizing that and they get to subtract those 15$ from your CC so they can put it in their:
http://puntabulous.com/wp-content/gin16.jpg
Reason they want the creditcard info is to limit goldsellers mass creating accounts to spam gold advertisements ingame.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 04:08 AM
Quote:
posters like the OP make me doubt evolution ...
Why? If anything it should be the other way around. Think about the selective pressures in our environment and then take a few minutes to contemplate the outcome of those pressures. It really is what one should expect.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2010, 04:10 AM
Quote:
germany aint italy ... no offense here but you cant compare that ... i know a lot of germans(naturally living near the border) ... and they all have some credit card even if they dont use them ... might be the fact its one of the wealthiest countries in the world you know
italy has a north-south divide and i live as far in the north as it is possible.. no difference to germany at all regarding wealthiness ... i also studied in austria and lived in germany but i can't attest your statement ^^
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahless2001 View Post
Maybe I'm wrong in my experience of MMO's.. but isn't this the standard?
Not always.

Some games with game cards for subs dont require a credit card to be put in.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-03-2010, 04:15 AM
Just about every subscription based MMO I have played has required some kind of payment method to be set up when activating the retail key via their accounts systems.. whether that be CC/Paypal or some other method of payment. Yes, you get your 30 days free.. and after that point they start billing.

BTW, it is a common misocnception amongst US/British people that everyobdy uses credit cards, it is in fact true that in many EU countries credit cards are not in widespread use and are VERY difficult to get hold of! I know Codemasters had this very same issue with payments in Europe for LoTRO and had to set up numerous facilities for payment.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-03-2010, 04:17 AM
No no no, they wont charge your CC until your free month is up. However, what they will do is charge you for new clothes, skins, races, ships, items, hair, emotes, animations gah you name it, they got a price tag on it.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOsAreDead View Post
No no no, they wont charge your CC until your free month is up. However, what they will do is charge you for new clothes, skins, races, ships, items, hair, emotes, animations gah you name it, they got a price tag on it.
The micro system seems to be catching on with all mmo's, it is getting to be a pretty sad practice. They could at least lower the sub rates if they have a micro store.