Captain
# 91
02-07-2014, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfuzun View Post

If the station is in orbit around the star, so are you. It's not like the astronauts of the International Space Station start falling to Earth when they do a spacewalk. It's just a little thing called Newton's Laws....
Actually they are. The process of "orbiting" is actually "falling around" a celestial body. All orbits decay over time, unless gravity is either stabilized by an equal, or over come by a greater reactive force. The Astronauts on the ISS just are just falling in the same direction as the ISS. Same principle as walking on a moving train.
This all happened... more, or less.
Empire Veteran
# 92
02-07-2014, 05:21 AM
I love how you are all on about things being in orbit in the sphere.

Orbit : ... As the spacecraft orbits, it is actually falling, though it never reaches the ground.

From here

Which, when I see that work, I think of;

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy states: "There is an art to flying, or rather a knack. Its knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. ... Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, that presents the difficulties."

Which one will you be?

Career Officer
# 93
02-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkirk4 View Post
Actually they are. The process of "orbiting" is actually "falling around" a celestial body. All orbits decay over time, unless gravity is either stabilized by an equal, or over come by a greater reactive force. The Astronauts on the ISS just are just falling in the same direction as the ISS. Same principle as walking on a moving train.
And wouldn't this still say you can maneuver a bit around it, for a while? Your orbital speed would not drop that much right?