Lt. Commander
# 31
01-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Here's an even better question.

Why do we hear explosions in the VACUUM of space?
Fleet Affiliations:
FED: Royal Federation Mounted Starfleet: SB3, TAC3, ENG3, SCI3, Win, Int, DOff(T/E/S/B)
KDF: Parliamentary Klingon Empire: SB2, TAC2, ENG2, SCI2, Win, DOff(T)

Interested in joining? Please send a PM to @Tahna_Los.
Ensign
# 32
01-30-2014, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahnalos View Post
Here's an even better question.

Why do we hear explosions in the VACUUM of space?
Your Universal Translator comes with special explosion simulation systems. You know.....so you can hear them scream...

Last edited by ivanlz; 01-30-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 33
01-30-2014, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalefactor View Post
And it's equally as self-congratulatory and stupid.
Yep. Just like posts that read "Oh, you're using deconstructionism" and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Blog
While we are removing part of the game, we hope that this improves the overall quality of STO.
-facepalm-
Ensign
# 34
01-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
Star Trek and STO is SCIENCE FICTION, so the only thing that really counts is 'consistency'...

Adding to the list of weak science...

• Space is a vacuum, with no air to transmit sound. So passing Ships, and those bright coloful explosions should be completely silent... (the movie 2001 got this right...)
  • With no atmospheric drag, Ships, once they start moving, should continue moving until they run into something or brake
  • With no atmospheric lift, and everything in free fall, there is no need for ships to bank like a airplane when making a turn.
While I'm here, bored, and feel like it:

1. That would be sexy/interesting to experience. A battle with only your own ship sounds. Though both creepy and with a lack of an ability to respond to sounds around you. I'd imagine people would invent pew pew machines that play sounds for you just so you don't go crazy from seeing an explosion with no boom.

2. Correct, unless of course your ship has maneuvering thrusters/engines that have the ability to slow you to your desired speed should you choose to slow down.

3. Most ships that I am aware of, even ones in space, lack the ability to accelerate/move in all directions equally well. It's usually easier to put the main engines in the back or w/e then to have main engines stuck to every angle/surface of the ship. As such, the ISS has to turn it's self, and then use it's main engine to slow/make course corrections. Would not future ships of the future be similar in some regard, putting maneuvering thrusts everywhere, but also main roll/pitch engines that can be activated to roll your ship and then pitch up for better turns? Instead of putting said engines everywhere?

Take that heretic!
Rihannsu
# 35
01-30-2014, 02:45 PM
*wonders if the OP has ever watched Star Trek*
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Starfleet Veteran
# 36
01-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnthebard View Post
Okay just thinking out loud to mysef...

1. If I have a EV suit that can resist a sun... what weapon can damage it? TR-116A
Now, I don't know how the EV suit works, since it's science fiction, but I assume it protects you from a certain level of heat and possibly some kinds of radiation. It wouldn't stop something like a disruptor from killing you.
Commander
# 37
01-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlz View Post
A battle with only your own ship sounds. Though both creepy and with a lack of an ability to respond to sounds around you. I'd imagine people would invent pew pew machines that play sounds for you just so you don't go crazy from seeing an explosion with no boom.
I play with sound off. I haven't gone crazy, yet.
Captain
# 38
01-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saihung423 View Post
# 2 sounds delicious.

Can I have that with some tomatoes on some toasted bread?
With mayo.
It's tad late to be noticing this, this is science fiction, reality rarely fits.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Commander
# 39
01-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Here's one from a Next Gen episode.

LaForge finds "astatine deposits" in a rock face, or something similar. Astatine has an extremely short half-life which is why it was named that. Astatos means "unstable" in Greek.

In order to get enough astatine to block a tricorder or whatever it was that it was supposed to be doing, the amount of radium (or whatever the other extremely unstable larger element was that generated the astatine due to decay) would have to be large enough to give the crew looking at the "deposits" lethal radiation exposure -- let alone the radiation coming from the decaying astatine.

Last edited by mercuriciodide; 01-30-2014 at 02:59 PM.
Ensign
# 40
01-30-2014, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuriciodide View Post
I play with sound off. I haven't gone crazy, yet.
But how? Also, do you make up sounds in your head? What would it be like to play this game/be in space cold turkey without ever hearing anything? Assuming you aren't deaf/used to it?

Though I do think the developers aught to make missions that are eerily quiet at appropriate times.