Lt. Commander
I'm looking through consoles on the exchange and I see things like +5 to astrometrics and +5 to deflector dish and +5 photonic theory. What the heck does this stuff do? There is no description and I cant find any documentation on these things.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 05:10 AM
If you look at a skill that you or a BOFF has, it will say for instance "system: Deflector Dish". This means it will be improved by that +5 deflector dish console.

It's kind of a backward way of showing the info though, but it kinda makes sense eventually.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 05:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hula View Post
If you look at a skill that you or a BOFF has, it will say for instance "system: Deflector Dish". This means it will be improved by that +5 deflector dish console.

It's kind of a backward way of showing the info though, but it kinda makes sense eventually.
To add to that, if you hit P and look at the detailed info on the powers in that list, it says for each skill, what increasable/gear gives bonuses to it.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 05:32 AM
I habve a question to add, I have powers that use "deflector dish" and powers that use "deflector field". I have a console that has +7.5 to "deflectors".

Does this increase them both? I've not seen any abilities that ask for just "deflectors", but when I equip this item it doesnt seem to boost my "deflector dish" ability...

We really could do with just a touch more info about these things. The number of tooltip errors in htis game doesnt help either.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hula View Post
I habve a question to add, I have powers that use "deflector dish" and powers that use "deflector field". I have a console that has +7.5 to "deflectors".

Does this increase them both? I've not seen any abilities that ask for just "deflectors", but when I equip this item it doesnt seem to boost my "deflector dish" ability...

We really could do with just a touch more info about these things. The number of tooltip errors in htis game doesnt help either.
In actuality, all of these refer to your Captains Skills, which can be seen under the Status screen (hit K and select the Status tab). I suspect your item actually adds +7.5 to "Starship Deflectors," which is one of the Tier-2 skills. Deflector Dish and Deflector Field are two other skills (Tier-3 and Tier-4 respectively). items give bonuses to your skills, and skills affect your abilities. I would suspect that a "Deflector Dish" ability would be augmented by both Starship Deflectors and Deflector Dish, but I don't know if the change would update the tooltip (or full description). So it's likely that the item IS improving your ability, but I'm not sure how you would be able to observe the improvement.