Lt. Commander
These guys are retartedly overpowered, they spawn 4 - 5 fully shielded holograms or whatever they are, who go through shields of the entire away team wiping it out in 10 seconds before you can ever do ANYTHING. maybe ONE of these guys spawning a few, sure
but together with an entire squad? thats retarted.

All I could do is drop the mission, by the time i was all the way to the end of the mission again (exploration missions really lack "new spawnpoint unlocked" thingies) he was fully recharged, and his ability as well.

All in all: tune these guys DOWN or remove them from random exploration missions where you cant beat them in a crowd.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Yeah, i just ran into this problem tonight as well. Combat was going fine then all of a sudden my whole ground team, including me is dead.. I was like "wtf just happened!" being that ground combat is usually so easy. They are definatly broken as is.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Plasma weapons. And if your entire away team doesn't have expose weapons and you aren't rocking two exploit weapons (preferably AOE) you aren't even trying. I zerged those guys they first time I played them then realised that taking down the holograms was stupid and just focused fire on the commander. I am rocking a plasma rifle and tertyon beam currently and that combo works really well against heavily shielded mobs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-11-2010, 11:58 PM
I take down the subordinates first, and then deal with the captains last. And as above, if you aren't doing expose/exploits as much as possible... time to learn!
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Actually, they are doing autofire shield ignoring mental attacks, and all five (the Shadow Guard Captain and his four pink buddies) target the same victim. The first time I saw these guys was at Lt Cmdr and what was a plasma or tetryon ground weapon? I use exposes and exploits a lot and they don't always proc. Even if they do, one exploit is not enough to kill one unless you are getting a bunch of shield ignoring damage also.

Hardest encounter I've seen in ground combat, at least so far.

I wouldn't mind more challenge in ground combat, but imo this is not the way to go about it. In Star Trek beings with god powers got outsmarted, not out-gunned (Trelayne, Q). Save the super-powers (duplication, autofire telepathic lances) for Champions Online and rebalance ground combat for more challenge but without these guys.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-12-2010, 12:20 AM
Yea I almost died to this encounter. The mental attacks bypass shields it seemed. I have two science officers with medical tricorder nanite monitor and the heal over time. I had to have my crew focus on commander eventually which worked fine. If you do it lower level with regular whites or lower gear it might be more of a chore.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-12-2010, 12:50 AM
lol i took them down with out any problem just focused all my fire and had my team do the same. i truly hope cryptic does not nerf everything down to grade school level so that you can blindly walk over everything in the game. sadly the people that think the npc's are hard are the one that when they get to pvp are gonna cry that everything is over powered. as it is you can use autofire only, set your speed down to 1 quarter impulse power, leave the computer and make dinner and when you come back bad guy ships all dead and your shields are still intact. it isnt until u get to captain that you have to begin thinking about what your doing when going into combat. just wait if you love these guys soon you will run into the mirror universe crews and then the undine cant wait to see every one ranting about how over powered they are lol.

safe to say i think the difficulty should get some attention but i think it needs to be turned up alot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-12-2010, 01:07 AM
Silly Fed, whenever a sim or game is made to be even moderately accurate model of what *really* goes on in the "Star Trek" universe you will find yourself quite dead.

Just imagine if you had no respawn everytime me and four of my fellow warriors decloak and swoop down upon you.

I will laugh now and take my leave.

Yours in accurate Plasma,
Star*Dagger
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-12-2010, 01:51 AM
Personally, I've only run across the clone thing 2x, both in episodes. And it was a refreshing change to have something that required at least some thought.

As an engineer, my method for taking them out was to have my entire team (and it is chockfull of phaser turret and support drone goodness, plus a science for heals/debuff, some mass plinkage) focus on him. I, as is my normal method, open the fight with some split beams, so he wants to kill me. Then I hide behind Force Wall. When at full health, pop up, fire some split beams at him, and back behind cover.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Met a group with two of those including a captain type mission story boss, they spawned right on top of me. I had no chance at all as I lost my BOs within 20 seconds and the only reason I survived longer was because I hid behind my Cover Shield in a corner :p Unfortunately its cooldown is longer than its uptime... That was my first death in ground combat.

But I was actually happy about it, finally a challenge after slugging through 30+ levels of unchallenging ground combat. But unfortunately it may have been a bug of some sort because as soon as I returned to the scene of crime after respawning, only the boss and a few measly guards were left, whom I dispatched with the usual routine. Ah well, maybe another time...