Lt. Commander
# 1 Do BOff Skills stack?
02-03-2010, 06:53 AM
I have a Cruiser with 2 Engineering Officer slots. If I give both my Engineering Officers the Emergency Power to Shields I and max both out (9 to each officer), does the power act as if there is 9 or 18 points put into it?

And if they do stack, is it worth giving two officers the same power?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koomik
I have a Cruiser with 2 Engineering Officer slots. If I give both my Engineering Officers the Emergency Power to Shields I and max both out (9 to each officer), does the power act as if there is 9 or 18 points put into it?

And if they do stack, is it worth giving two officers the same power?
Boff skill points in space abilities reduce the recharge of the ability, so it can be used more often.

The effect of most abilities is increased by three of your captain's skills.

In the example you five, both of your EPtS abilities will recharge quickly (45 seconds, if I remember it right). Note that as they are both 'System: Batteries' abilities, using one will trigger a cooldown for both (if I remember right, it's 20 seconds for the 'Emergency Power to...' abilities).

Giving two boffs the same space ability lets you use it more often. Whether that's 'worth it' is really up to you.

(For a general overview of skills and abilities, see the Character Basics guide in my sig.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadB
Giving two boffs the same space ability lets you use it more often. Whether that's 'worth it' is really up to you.
I don't think this is correct in terms of the SAME ability. Emergency power to shields I will start cooldown when activated so having it on the second BO won't do anything.

If you had Emergency power to shields I AND emergency power to shields II then you could stagger them, though there is a cooldown shared on same-skill-different-tier abilities. Also skills that use the same ship system, like Emergency power to... of any kind, suffer another (brief) cooldown once one skill is activated.

This makes sense since you just used emergency power, you can't instantly use it again for another system.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:36 AM
I believe BO abilities are on a shared timer. If you have 2 with the same ability they will not be able to use them more often. YOU can have the same ability as a BO and they do not share a timer (there is a short cooldown between uses though).
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-04-2010, 03:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DickCheney
I don't think this is correct in terms of the SAME ability. Emergency power to shields I will start cooldown when activated so having it on the second BO won't do anything.
If I'm remembering the numbers right:

The cooldown on the 'Emergency Power to...' abilities is 20 seconds.

The recharge if the boff has level 9 in their skill with the ability is 45 seconds.

So, if you have one boff with level 9 in Emergency Power to Shields, you can use it every 45 seconds.

If you have two boffs with level 9 in Emergency Power to Shields, you can use it (on average) every 22.5 seconds, or twice as often.

I haven't actually checked whether two applications of the ability stack their effects, but even if they don't, it means that with two boffs you can keep the effect up all the time (I believe the duration is 30 seconds?), while with one you'd have 30 seconds of effect and 15 seconds without it every 45 seconds.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-04-2010, 03:31 AM
I use the same power on BOffs. Both my engineering officers use EPtShields I, Reverse Shield Polarity I, and Engineering Crew II. I've also used different ranks of the same power on the same BOff.

The following applies:

1. When one of my BOffs uses one of his powers, it goes on its cooldown. 45s for my BOff's fully trained EPtShields I, for example.

2. Other powers that share the same system go on the system cooldown of 20s. This includes any EPtShields I on my other BOffs, as well as, well, any other EP power on any BOff, including the one who used the power.

3. Buffs from the same ability do stack. EPtShields I provides a buff to shield power, for example. During the overlap on the 30s buff duration, my shield power benefits from both doses of EPtShields.

4. Buffs from different levels of the same power, like Engineering Team II and III, also stack.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-04-2010, 04:22 AM
I think have NO SENSE shared cooldwon skill with different type to officers, why if i use a science skill, shared cooldwon with tactics skills ????
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-04-2010, 11:34 AM
BigBadB,

Thanks much for the links you provided. There is some interesting info on that site.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-04-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm afraid that I do not know if two different BOffs are able to use the same skill as mentioned above. I can say that I have been able to stack the Emergency Power to Weapons, and yes the effects do stack for the duration both are running at the same time. So, instead of the +15 that I have for one, I get +30 instead.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roneth View Post
I think have NO SENSE shared cooldwon skill with different type to officers, why if i use a science skill, shared cooldwon with tactics skills ????
Erm, I'm unaware of any Science abilities that share a cooldown with Tactical abilities. Which two abilities are you referring to?