Lt. Commander
# 1 Planetside Environment
02-03-2010, 07:13 AM
and we all know how well planet side did.

-edit- lol I love it even the forums glitch. Now I'm the OP rawr!!!
Lt. Commander
# 2 Planetside Environment
02-03-2010, 07:14 AM
The game is great as is imo, but I think some improvements can be made to planet-side things. For example:

1. Give us the ability to interact more with the environment. And by this, I mean being able to do things such as pick fruit or plants/herbs.
2. Bigger planets. I feel that, seeing as we're supposed to be able to 'explore strange new worlds', the planets should be a little bigger. It makes me sad when I'm blocked off by an invisible wall.
3. Water. I don't see much water at all on any planets... and I've never seen any deep enough to swim in. Why not? We should be able to swim too.

But yeah, that's just what I think we should be able to do. Thanks for reading all that, if you did.

(and lol, forum fail :p)
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
I dont mind the lack of interactivity in environments as things are now. If they add some REASON to have interaction, sure, otherwise it just gets in the way.

I have seen water a few places, but never tried to swim.

As for larger planets, sure, if it makes sense to do so. I think most mission planet spaces are just fine. There wouldnt be anything outside those 'borders' anyhow. But if we had some open exploration planets, where we could chose the region to beam down in that would be cool.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
Planetside launched in, if I recall correctly, 2003, and is still running, albeit on a single server with much reduced numbers. It has outlasted higher profile and bigger budget MMOs - for example, Tabula Rasa - and I recently participated in a survey soliciting opinions for Planetside 2. I think that, by any yardstick, that has to be defined as a successful game.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karv
Planetside launched in, if I recall correctly, 2003, and is still running, albeit on a single server with much reduced numbers. It has outlasted higher profile and bigger budget MMOs - for example, Tabula Rasa - and I recently participated in a survey soliciting opinions for Planetside 2. I think that, by any yardstick, that has to be defined as a successful game.
Yeah Planetside isnt a bad game at all. It probably still is the only FPS "MMO" out there. I havent tried it in about 6 months or so but back then it had plenty of players for some good battles.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
Yeah Planetside isnt a bad game at all. It probably still is the only FPS "MMO" out there. I havent tried it in about 6 months or so but back then it had plenty of players for some good battles.
Well, in all honesty, it's circling the bugzapper. Back in the halcyon days pre-Core Combat and BFRs, there were some truly epic battles that raged for hours. Unfortunately, a series of management failures and very poor design decisions caused it to haemorrhage players to the point where it's now just a few hardcore masochists.

I played for three years, on the Werner server, and it's a crying shame to see it now, a pale shadow of its former glory. If anyone was considering returning, I'd advise them to wait for Planetside 2 rather than going back; in my opinion, you'll only be disappointed
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Reading comprehension, people. She's not talking about "Planetside", the game, she's talking about "planet-side environments", as in away missions.

(The first hint was when she wanted to pick fruits and herbs. Planetside, the game, did not have any fruit or herb picking...)
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz
Reading comprehension, people. She's not talking about "Planetside", the game, she's talking about "planet-side environments", as in away missions.
Indeed. However, Lx31 - the poster I responded to and quoted in my inital post - said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
I accept that the spacing introduces an element of ambiguity to the sentence, however I'm fairly sure he was talking about the game.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 08:54 AM
this isn't x game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamz

(The first hint was when she wanted to pick fruits and herbs. Planetside, the game, did not have any fruit or herb picking...)
I'm not a she!