Lt. Commander
# 1 Any Starfleet Command vets?
02-03-2010, 07:32 AM
Star Fleet Command, Star Fleet Command 2, SFC: Orion Pirates, Star Fleet Command 3

Great games. Anyone else here that used to play them? Actually, I still have Orion Pirates on my computer.

I enjoy space combat in STO but it couild have taken a few more queues from SFC I think.

SFC was strictly a space combat game, considered real time strategy/simulator. The game was basically a real time iteration of the pen and paper Starfleet Battles. SFC gave you a bit more of a taste of what combat might actually be like in the Trek universe as far as the actual management of a starship goes. You actually had to manage your power levels, repairs, shields, etc. Manually giving power to one thing...like increasing power to shields, would make your weapons charge slower. If your opponents weapons penetrated your shields and hit your ship it could knock out a phaser bank, torpedo bay, tractor beam, etc and you had to pick and choose what to repair because you had a limited amount of spare parts. If you didn't have enough parts to fix, say, a rear firing phaser bank, you just had to do without. Tractor beams and shuttles played an active role in combat. General damage to your ship affected movement speed. You could allocate energy toward countermeasures. (energy management was pretty important) In STO, you pretty much just keep shooting all weapons until you're destroyed...even at 1% hull strength.

But STO is great in that its 3d. In SFC you fight on one plane...no attacking from over or under an opponent. An STO's graphics beat the pants off of SFC. Then, of course, there's the ground aspect and everything that comes with an mmo.

But, while I play STO I do still bring up SFC sometimes.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Still play SFC II.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Most of us in 32nd Fleet played SFC, as a matter of fact thats where our fleet began.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I liked SFC. Problem was that for an MMO it was waaay too complex. As a niche game that Star Trek fans and RTS fans were going to be playing it was fine, but the manual it came with was 1/2" thick, IIRC.

When you'r goal is to get hundreds or thousands of people all playing at the same time, and being relatively competitive with each other, that level of complexity is prohibitive rather than good.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 07:54 AM
I used to play these... A LOT :p

STO's space combat is a bit simplified compared to SFC's.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValinAntilles View Post
Most of us in 32nd Fleet played SFC, as a matter of fact thats where our fleet began.
Bah! No youtube at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feor View Post
I liked SFC. Problem was that for an MMO it was waaay too complex. As a niche game that Star Trek fans and RTS fans were going to be playing it was fine, but the manual it came with was 1/2" thick, IIRC.

When you'r goal is to get hundreds or thousands of people all playing at the same time, and being relatively competitive with each other, that level of complexity is prohibitive rather than good.
I have to agree with that to an extent. But I still think STO's combat is a bit oversimplified. (not sure how they could change that though) I do still enjoy iSTO combat, don't get me wrong. Its just that its more akin to controlling a fighter than a capital ship. But with everything else STO offers I don't think I'm missing THAT much but still... And yeah, SFC certainly had a steep learning curve. Wasn't really the kind of game you could just jump in and start playing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv398 View Post
I used to play these... A LOT :p

STO's space combat is a bit simplified compared to SFC's.
Lol, yeah...just a tad.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Player I, II, and III. Gotta say, the Romulan Firehawk from I is my favorite non-starfleet vessel in any of the games.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
I was actually hoping that STO would draw a lot of their space combat from SFC3 and lo and behold they did! Those are great Trek games!
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
SFC, before that KA and SFA heheh. Been around the lock for quite some time.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-03-2010, 09:28 AM
SFC II is one of my favorite games. I miss the complexity of the fleet combat, but it would be way too much for your typical MMO audience to handle.