Lt. Commander
Hey mates, I am just now ready to get my first ship. I am a tac captain, and from what I read I think I want to avoid the cruisers initially as I will solo alot of content. Any tac's out there have good success with cruiser or sci? Would love to hear your experience.

Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcaesar View Post
Hey mates, I am just now ready to get my first ship. I am a tac captain, and from what I read I think I want to avoid the cruisers initially as I will solo alot of content. Any tac's out there have good success with cruiser or sci? Would love to hear your experience.

Cheers.
I play tac and cruiser, but I'm not an elite player I just like to have fun so I'm not your best source of information. I solo just fine though and hold my own in a group. I like being in a big ship and taking damage and remain standing. I didn't much care for the ground Engineering skills which is why I'm a tac officer in the first place but I really like the cruisers.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2010, 08:00 AM
Thanks mate!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcaesar View Post
Thanks mate!
One thing to consider is that at tier 2 (Lt Cmdr) you get one ship for free and the second and third you can acutally buy for around 20k credits each. Someone pointed out to me that after buying a Lt. Cmdr ship if you sell all the equipment that comes with it your actual out of pocekt cost is about 9k. For that amount its relatively painless to try out at lest two of them if not all three to see which you really like before allocating your skills to lock in which type of ship you want.

In OB I tried out all three at this level but I came back to the Cruiser because I just like the big ships. A lot of people don't but the point of the game is to have fun. There is no "winning" its just about entertinaing myself so I play in a cruiser because it makes me happy
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-03-2010, 08:23 AM
I went T2 cruiser on my beta character. I found it was pretty much unstoppable as long as I could keep the shields up. So I'd recommend Emergency power to shields, Science Team and the best Mk III shield you can afford if you go cruiser.

This time around I went with a science T2. I do like that it's more manuverable, but it doesn't have the staying power of the cruiser once I start losing shields. Plus the various science abilities (tractor beam, tachyon beam,e tc.) really come in handy during fleet actions and "defend X sector block" missions where you're in a group.

I don't think you can go wrong either way, I'm more into the cruiser path but I chose Science just to try something different with my new character.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-03-2010, 09:01 AM
What MFC said is true - you really can't go wrong unless your try to. Be careful with your skill selections, which would hamper you no matter what ship you use. If you want to fly multiple types of ships, focus on the lower level skills that give you more bang for your buck with across multiple abilities.

Right now I am Tac in Tier 2 Cruiser because I really like the looks of it. I tried the Saber and was unimpressed with the looks and the handling - too flimsy it seemed. However, I plan to fly an Akira in Tier 3 because I love that ship - min max be damned. I'm not even going to equip cannons even though I can - I have a very specific design in mind for it. Either way won't hurt me though - I'll just make use of equipment that I already have bonus' for. The ships just really determine what can fit where - some have innate bonus', but the seperation from those is not huge if you ask me.

I say play what catches your fancy.