Lt. Commander
# 11
02-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Character customization, at least aesthetically, can be achieved in-game via the tailors. If you would like to try out an entirely different spec, then you have 3 slots to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherio
I'm so glad that you think 3 is enough because I do not. I like to char create as much as the next person but I'm fairly bummed out that I have to delete chars I've made in order to do something new or to make a new char style. Forgive me for being creative.

sorry, Just something that instantly grabbed my attention for the negative in this game... thought I'd post it on the feedback forums, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. I spend enough money on games anyway, particularly games with monthly subscription fees. I dont think it's too much asking for at least 5 char slots, since those are the only slots you get.

With so much character customization it really deflated what I thought this game was going to be when I noticed I could only have 3 characters.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNine
According to Pat Robertson, the earthquake in Haiti was caused by their pact with the devil.

I'm not 100% sure I buy either explanation.
Honestly, it's kind of insulting that the devs would even say that. We all know what data storage costs. Do they really think we're that stupid? I'm sure I could host the information for every STO character ever created on my measly little $45 hard drive.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Other games have had limited # of slots also. Most quoted the reason as character database size but it could also be a matter of maintaining a better economy (you cant be entirely self sufficient if you dont have 1 character of every class).

Given that STO has no player run economy (no crafting) I dont see that as a problem yet. But database size is an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdiddly View Post
Character customization, at least aesthetically, can be achieved in-game via the tailors. If you would like to try out an entirely different spec, then you have 3 slots to do so.
What if I do want to try out a different spec? What if I don't want to completely change the look of a character I have already developed? There's a lot more to this game than just spec and numbers...
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoriz
Other games have had limited # of slots also. Most quoted the reason as character database size but it could also be a matter of maintaining a better economy (you cant be entirely self sufficient if you dont have 1 character of every class).

Given that STO has no player run economy (no crafting) I dont see that as a problem yet. But database size is an issue.
Database size is not an issue. Don't be ridiculous. Even in Everquest, more than a decade ago, you could have eight characters. And that was back in the days of 100 MB hard drives. Any Cryptic employee who tells you it's a necessity imposed by data storage capacity is simply lying.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karv
In actual fact, according to the developers it's because they have quite a complicated data model, and the character limit is intended to constrain the amount of space each user takes up in the database.
Just because someone says something does not make it "actual fact". I do not believe that for a second. In fact it is almost laughable that they suggest such a thing.

Other wise they wouldn't offer extra slots for Life time subscribers. In the future you can bet hey will "sell" more slots

it is about money plain and simple.. not about saving space.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
Honestly, it's kind of insulting that the devs would even say that. We all know what data storage costs. Do they really think we're that stupid? I'm sure I could host the information for every STO character ever created on my measly little $45 hard drive.
Im sure you could but rates of services are almost never related to the actual cost of service but to demand and what the market will bare.

They arent selling you a product they are selling you a service, so really its pointless to discuss value as a factor of the service providers costs.

Services like char slots or new races or costumes are what you may term 'value added service'.

Its a business designed to operate for a profit, not as a community service .. so in that respect I expect them to do things that drive profits such as charging for things and limiting things. However everyones opinion of what is a fair included value with your subscription and up-front purchase is different. I personally feel as is, the game is a good value and pricing is fair and the extra services they charge more for are reasonable and reasonably priced.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-03-2010, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdiddly View Post
unlike other MMOs, this game isn't entirely based on your main character. There are many factors- different class of ship, BOs to name a couple. I do believe that it should have been set up like this: standard edition box- 4 slots total- (so each class on one side and one class on the other) the collectors- 6 slots (up to 5 on on side, if desired, and one on the other). Just remember that this isnt the 'regular' MMO setup that everyone is used to.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Of course it's designed to make a profit, but there is a difference between that and base gouging of customers. And it only makes it worse when they lie and tell you it's because of their limited server space (rofl, no one could possibly believe that).
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
Database size is not an issue. Don't be ridiculous. Even in Everquest, more than a decade ago, you could have eight characters. And that was back in the days of 100 MB hard drives. Any Cryptic employee who tells you it's a necessity imposed by data storage capacity is simply lying.
You have no where near the same customization in EQ that you do in STO nor associated ships and crew.

And no matter how little you think it costs them to store characters, it still costs them something.