Lt. Commander
# 21
02-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanid

Its a business designed to operate for a profit, not as a community service .. so in that respect I expect them to do things that drive profits such as charging for things and limiting things. However everyones opinion of what is a fair included value with your subscription and up-front purchase is different. I personally feel as is, the game is a good value and pricing is fair and the extra services they charge more for are reasonable and reasonably priced.
lol *adjusts earlobes* I know greed is a huge factor don't get me wrong... all I'm posting is an observation and response to said observation... in I think the appropriate forums:

Observation: Srsly 3 char slots?

Reaction: That's Lamesauce...

Discuss
Lt. Commander
# 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by frellthat View Post
Database size is not an issue. Don't be ridiculous. Even in Everquest, more than a decade ago, you could have eight characters. And that was back in the days of 100 MB hard drives. Any Cryptic employee who tells you it's a necessity imposed by data storage capacity is simply lying.
Your point about 100 megabyte drives being the norm only a decade ago is either ignorant or intentionally false for dramatic purpose. 100 megabyte drives havent been the norm for almost 17 years. 2-4 gigabyte drives were the norm in 2000 and there were even bigger sizes available. I had a 1.2 GB drive in my Pentium 200mhz PC in 1997. The last time I had a drive in the megabytes was my 105 megabyte drive in my 386 in 1993.
Lt. Commander
# 23
Quote:
Database size is not an issue. Don't be ridiculous. Even in Everquest, more than a decade ago, you could have eight characters. And that was back in the days of 100 MB hard drives. Any Cryptic employee who tells you it's a necessity imposed by data storage capacity is simply lying.

now, why would you really need more than 6- (3 on each side)?? game isnt entirely based on the character class that you choose..... which is kind of a breath of fresh air.
Lt. Commander
# 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwind
You have no where near the same customization in EQ that you do in STO.

And no matter how little you think it costs them to store characters, it still costs them something.
Yeah, it costs them about $50 for a 500GB hard drive capable of storing every character created in this game for the next 20 years.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherio
lol *adjusts earlobes* I know greed is a huge factor don't get me wrong... all I'm posting is an observation and response to said observation... in I think the appropriate forums:

Observation: Srsly 3 char slots?

Reaction: That's Lamesauce...

Discuss
Sherio, I respect your opinion even if I dont agree. Not that I wouldnt be happy with more slots Just I think 3 is fair as long as additional slots are also reasonably priced ($3-5 ea)
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Sherio, I respect your opinion even if I dont agree. Not that I wouldnt be happy with more slots Just I think 3 is fair as long as additional slots are also reasonably priced ($3-5 ea)
But how do you conclude that $5 for a character slot is "reasonable"? To me it seems outrageous, considering that's probably a hundred times the cost to Cryptic of storing that data.
Lt. Commander
# 27
Quote:
Yeah, it costs them about $50 for a 500GB hard drive capable of storing every character created in this game for the next 20 years.
A) You don't have the faintest idea of the size in the database of a character in STO

B) The game servers are not running on a desktop computer
Lt. Commander
# 28
Quote:
That hard drive under constant use is likely to only last 1-2 years at most and not 20. Drives that will be under constant use and last for 20 years would cost a lot more than $50.
Lt. Commander
# 29
Quote:
Kanid- lemme ask--- Why would you want more class slots? honest question.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karv
In actual fact, according to the developers it's because they have quite a complicated data model, and the character limit is intended to constrain the amount of space each user takes up in the database.
You know nothing about databases do you.......