Rihannsu
# 111
02-03-2014, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
Does this mean you'll try to flog us stuff such as... Tetryon Oribitals, Transphasic grenades, Tri-colbalt mortars, Polaron turrets and so on in future lockboxes?
Oddly enough I actually LIKE the idea of lockbox kits.... It gives them a good reason to make new kit powers, and that is something that adds variety to the game.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 112
02-03-2014, 09:30 AM
It is only being done so Gecko can monetize kit powers. It happened to traits, it will be happening to skills as well....

I do not agree with devices becoming special kit powers, as all that will happen, is my not using them at all.

On my Main, I will never give up my turret for the shard of possibilities etc. Just wont happen...

Fed: Eng (Five) Sci (Maelrock) Tac (Shen) Rom: Sci (Mervek)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsune424 View Post
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Rihannsu
# 113
02-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
It is only being done so Gecko can monetize kit powers. It happened to traits, it will be happening to skills as well....

I do not agree with devices becoming special kit powers, as all that will happen, is my not using them at all.

On my Main, I will never give up my turret for the shard of possibilities etc. Just wont happen...
I don't buy the "Cryptic is greedy" explanation.

They could make lockbox kits WITHOUT revamping the kit system. I think it's more that the devs have never been happy with the current kit system and simply didn't get around to changing it until now.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lt. Commander
# 114
02-03-2014, 10:09 AM
STO already has far too few abilities. I'm definitely not a fan of giving up a potential for 9 reusable abilities (some existing kits have 5, iirc) to just 5 total.

If true, no wonder they gave away a Horta - those non-consumables are scheduled to be even more useless.
Starfleet Veteran
# 115
02-03-2014, 10:18 AM
Let's give space everything with extra op consoles. Let's look at ground and take away the fun of ground pvp. So disappointing with 5 slots and the loss of the shard and cane. No one will be using them anymore :/
Career Officer
# 116
02-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Most of us have been wanting to mix/match kit powers since launch , this would be sweet.

Converting devices and such to count for the 5 slot limit? not so sweet

Funny considering how much a big deal they used to make about the special devices ( re-run weeks anyone ? )

Assume this is coming for reasons other than quality of life player improvments : they really want us blowing cash on those stupid lobi consumable and we will no doubt see 'ground kit powers' inside the next lockbox...
Community Moderator
# 117
02-03-2014, 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
The new Priority One Podcast with CaptainGeko revealed that Season 9 will feature a new kit revamp. (Listen to Interview, jump to 25:10 for Kit Revamp)

Apparently, all kits will be broken up into individual abilities. It will then be possible to slot five kit abilities into the kit slot at level 50. However, they also plan to convert non-consumable devices, such as the Shard of Possibilities, Ophidian Cane, and the Frosted Boots into Universal kit powers. As a result, players would be forced to decide between existing class kit abilities and non-consumable devices. Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.
I agree. Five-slot kits are not enough to compensate for the loss of slots available to use for special powers that are completely unrelated to a career. Those abilities were originally rewarded as devices and should remain as such.

If they could be slotted into either a kit or a device slot, I'd be fine with it. I would also be okay with it if they implemented kits as six slots.

I would also like to see them add a separate ground pet slot, for combat and/or non-combat pets. That, or make allowances for "Pet Handling" kits that would finally allow KDF to summon targs or saurs.

And while I'm opening up the wish list, Gorn should be able to slot a kit power to "Throw Rock".
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Survivor of Romulus
# 118
02-03-2014, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I don't buy the "Cryptic is greedy" explanation.

They could make lockbox kits WITHOUT revamping the kit system. I think it's more that the devs have never been happy with the current kit system and simply didn't get around to changing it until now.
Never said they were greedy..

The devices being turned into kit powers, is my problem.

Quote:
Here is your ticket to the USS Stupidity, Third class, four tacks on the chair, rules state you MUST sit on the chair, no standing, or hovering above the tacks, thank you have a nice day
Rihannsu
# 119
02-03-2014, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrancks View Post
Never said they were greedy..

The devices being turned into kit powers, is my problem.
Hmm... perhaps I misunderstood what you meant when you said: "It is only being done so Gecko can monetize kit powers."
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Survivor of Romulus
# 120
02-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Hmm... perhaps I misunderstood what you meant when you said: "It is only being done so Gecko can monetize kit powers."
You did, I meant it as the only way it get's updated, is if it is monetized.

It can be done without being greedy, take the traits for instance...

Quote: