Starfleet Veteran
# 31
01-31-2014, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I'd agree that converting the devices to actual slotted kit abilities is a bad idea; if they did would the Borg Remodulator also become one of these new slotted kit abilities too I wonder? Also, they'd have to have those powers be useable more often, and toughen some of them up some more too, and it'd probably be more than enough just balancing the existing abilities from the kits already.

If they did go through with it I'd imagine this wouldn't effect combat pets like the Hortas?
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 01-31-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Captain
# 32
02-01-2014, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortiraomega View Post
Geko confirmed that all existing kits in the game will be kept in their existing clusters when the game goes live. Players make take apart the cluster, but they apparently won't be required to do so. Thus, medical kits will still be put together. However, if you have a Borg Medical Analyst kit, it would be wise to sell it soon. Once this goes live, players will be capable of running that kit combination without paying millions of energy credits.
But Geko said that new kits will all have 5 slots for skills. Old kits mostly have 4, aside from fleet kits. Geko also said that the new kits will have varieties of slot types, which will render old kits undesirable. However, if new kits with only one specialty comes out, I feel that 5 slots aren't enough for them.

Or maybe dedicated kits could get higher levels of their specialty skills.

Helpful Tools: Dictionary.com - Logical fallacies - Random generator - Word generator - Color tool - Extra Credits - List of common English language errors - Big booty tutorial - Also, follow me on Twitter!
Career Officer
# 33
02-01-2014, 10:32 AM
Customizing the kits is fine but If Geko listens to this making the special universal devices into kit abilities is simply a mistake. The device working quite well right now and a good advice is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
USS Canada
N.C.C. 171867
Sovereign Class
Saint John Fleet Yard
"A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
Career Officer
# 34
02-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Biggest issue I can see without reading the rest of this thread or listening to the podcast is that we do not have enough inventory slots for this system. If we wish to have a pair of kits now we take two slots up. Under the new system a pair of kits would take 6 slots, 1 for the kit we wear and another 5 for the powers we havent slotted yet. If we can be assured kit powers would be available as a skill interface and not have to keep slotting physical devices (unless we had a separate inventory for them) I would go for this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Captain
# 35
02-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Geko confirmed that all existing kits in the game will be kept in their existing clusters when the game goes live. Players make take apart the cluster, but they apparently won't be required to do so. Thus, medical kits will still be put together. However, if you have a Borg Medical Analyst kit, it would be wise to sell it soon. Once this goes live, players will be capable of running that kit combination without paying millions of energy credits.
In a way this bothers me.

Some of us have the Borg medical Analyst kit. It was once considered the best kit for tanking in Borg ground stfs. It only has 4 abilities, but the heals plus tachyon harmonics made it premium. It will be made worthless with these changes. Further, many have purchased rep system kits for considerable resources to gain a single, usually useful but less powerful ability. These kits will also lose value.

I have never liked the current kits because so many things about them make no sense. Either one is trained to do sweeping strikes or a lunge attack or they aren't. They have nothing to do with equipment carried. Grenade selection is different. If some wants to carry a mix of grenade types for broader mission capability so be it, but the kit type limiting the captain to carrying all grenade types and not having physical attacks like lunge or sweeping strikes again makes no sense. See the problems?

Yes, the kit system needs a complete rework, but that rework needs to make sense while not reducing the value of items many have worked to obtain.
Just say no to ARC
Career Officer
# 36
02-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
Biggest issue I can see without reading the rest of this thread or listening to the podcast is that we do not have enough inventory slots for this system. If we wish to have a pair of kits now we take two slots up. Under the new system a pair of kits would take 6 slots, 1 for the kit we wear and another 5 for the powers we havent slotted yet. If we can be assured kit powers would be available as a skill interface and not have to keep slotting physical devices (unless we had a separate inventory for them) I would go for this.
If they seperate out the kit powers they would probably do something similiar to the trait tab, where all the powers you have exsist and you just change things around. Otherwise, they would make a kit like legos, you can connect 5 together to be "1" and then break them up to change them around.

But I agree that the devices should not be made into powers. I could like with them being powers if we were given specific slots for them, but I like them as devices. It allows me to give some of them to my bridge officers. It's kind of cool watching my bridge officers use the horta pets, ophidean cane, etc. I don't have control on when they are used, but I was not goign to equip them on myself anyways, so it is an overall win.

Last edited by veryth12; 02-01-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Career Officer
# 37
02-01-2014, 01:06 PM
Quote:
The new Priority One Podcast with CaptainGeko revealed that Season 9 will feature a new kit revamp. (Listen to Interview, jump to 25:10 for Kit Revamp)

Apparently, all kits will be broken up into individual abilities. It will then be possible to slot five kit abilities into the kit slot at level 50. However, they also plan to convert non-consumable devices, such as the Shard of Possibilities, Ophidian Cane, and the Frosted Boots into Universal kit powers. As a result, players would be forced to decide between existing class kit abilities and non-consumable devices. Geko did ask for feedback, thus I decided to start a thread on the subject.

For me personally, I'd prefer that all items currently classified as devices to remain as such. The kit revamp itself will be great, players will be able to choose between their various kit abilities. However, I think devices should remain in their current state, it adds an additional level of customization to characters. If they were converted to universal kit abilities, we would lose a level of customization and we'd be further limited on the number of usable non-consumable abilities.
I'm usually stupid on the specifics, but I thought the original plan was just to break up KIT powers an leave everything else alone so people could customize their powers (and force cryptic to ensure they're all balanced to keep an even spread of abilities in use)? If they're going into this mess then its just that, messy. The KIT idea is perfect, no problems with it, but don't go messing with my shard, staff, and batteries not unless they will be on comparable cool-downs with the other kit powers (like 60s for SoP). As it stands, with the current cooldowns, the other devices you equip aren't kit worthy -- they are "oh crap" buttons when you find yourself in a jam, not something you usually use in combat.

Besides, what we're taking about right now is a nerf to the kit system when what they originally planned was supposed to be a buff and improvement to encourage ground combat a little more. I really wish Cryptic would stop flopping around like dirty underwear on a clothes line like this.
Said NO to Arc. Gets punished by not being given a free outfit, free lobi, and free shuttle. Now forced to use Arc's site when trying to get to STO site. Still not rewards for beta testing the Arc website by force. Bravo Cryptic.
Career Officer
# 38
02-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I believe what they are actually planning with this system is a way to monetize kits in game. If kits are piecemeal they can add level IV powers to lockboxes or special kit templates with 6 slots instead of 5. They will also undoubtedly also shove in a dilithium charge at the same time.

This is certainly not something they will do just to benefit the player.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neriz --- Eleven --- S'alesh --- Nizalay and maybe the odd Fed char too.
Defecting from the Federation to the Romulans from May 21st
Career Officer
# 39
02-01-2014, 04:03 PM
I agree. Devices should stay as devices. I don't want to have to give up kit abilities for devices.
Self Portrait
Commander
# 40
02-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirlettia View Post
I believe what they are actually planning with this system is a way to monetize kits in game. If kits are piecemeal they can add level IV powers to lockboxes or special kit templates with 6 slots instead of 5. They will also undoubtedly also shove in a dilithium charge at the same time.

This is certainly not something they will do just to benefit the player.
I can see it already. Very rare profession specific abilities sold for dilithium, ultra rares in the fleet holdings for fleet credits, and non profession specific abilities added to the new lock boxes like traits are now...